Author Topic: [Vehicles] Hanomag Armor slits don't stop bullets  (Read 818 times)

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
[Vehicles] Hanomag Armor slits don't stop bullets
« on: 20-05-2009, 02:05:16 »
Everyone knows you can use the "Hatch Open/Close" keys (default Arrow Up/Down) to close the armor slats on the Hanomag's view ports.  The problem is that people can still fire directly through it and hit the driver with small arms fire, regardless if it's open or closed.

The Dorchester also has this function, but it seems to actually protect the driver when the hatches are down.  This leads me to believe it is possible in the engine and it was just an oversight during the testing.

Hanomags are already death traps because of all the Tanks, AT Guns and AT Rifles all over the place.  Being able to snipe the drivers out regardless of whether or not the armored hatches are closed is just overkill.

Also, a slightly related question:  Are the Hanomag's MG's traverse correct?  The rear one seems unnecessarily limited in it's traverse especially...  If it's historically accurate to the vehicle, I don't mind, but I really can't figure out why the Germans would make the MG's field of fire so limited.  I can understand the armor on the forward MG restricts movement, but the rear one is just on a pintle mount...

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: [Vehicles] Hanomag Armor slits don't stop bullets
« Reply #1 on: 20-05-2009, 07:05:25 »
I will test this next time round. Are you sure that the guy hit you through the metal and not through the still existing view slit? Which is bigger than the one on the Dorchester.

Iirc the traverse on the MGs is correct since the frontal MG can't turn the complete radius.
« Last Edit: 20-05-2009, 07:05:26 by N24Reporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
Re: [Vehicles] Hanomag Armor slits don't stop bullets
« Reply #2 on: 20-05-2009, 21:05:15 »
I've shot people out of Hanomags at angles where it should be impossible to hit the driver when the armor is down (i.e. ~45 degrees off to the side through the forward hatches).  The shot would be possible if the armor was open, but not if it was closed.  Thanks for testing it out, though.  Anything to make the APC's more usable.

As for the MG Traverse, I was more concerned about the rear MG.  It can only shoot through a 90 degree arc to the right and rear.  And even if you ask very politely, no one ever positions the Halftrack so that both MGs can fire on different targets.  Isn't the rear MG supposed to be for AA defense?  It seems kinda counter-productive if the field of fire is so limited.