Author Topic: bayonets  (Read 5665 times)

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
Re: bayonets
« Reply #30 on: 18-05-2009, 20:05:11 »
I think you guys are making it really confusing and strange.

Maybe, but still I personally like my own idea  ;D. It would prevent people always using bayonet, but make possible keeping it attached but still being able to fire your gun. Wouldn't that be just about all what people have been talking on this topic?

Offline Miklas

• Ingame: Calle_XVI
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18-05-2009, 20:05:04 »

Maybe I explained it in a confusing way. To sum up:

Press number 3: Normal rifle mode, no bayonet
Press number 4: Rifle with bayonet attached +less accurate shooting
Press number 5: Only bayonet.

Going from 4 to 5 takes no time.
Going from 3 to 4 or 5 takes a little time since you have to mount the bayonet.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18-05-2009, 20:05:31 »
And people who can't understand whats wrong with bayonets now, please read Niams post. It explains very well what is wrong with them  ::).

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18-05-2009, 20:05:59 »
I guess in mode "4" you can't use the bayonet. So what is whole effort creating it for? oO

Offline 508th PIR Hawkeye

• Pacific? :D
    • View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #34 on: 18-05-2009, 21:05:18 »
Donutz for the love of God pls lock the damn topic, we'll take the bayonets as they are now...  ::)
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18-05-2009, 21:05:43 »

Not possible.
The closest we could go to your suggestion is having seperate kits. For example one kit always has the bayonet attached and takes no time to switch, the other kit has a knife or something. However I don't think that idea will go well either.

But keep brainstorming/suggesting. If there's even a 10% chance we can find a better comprimise its worth it.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18-05-2009, 21:05:25 »

Not possible.
The closest we could go to your suggestion is having seperate kits. For example one kit always has the bayonet attached and takes no time to switch, the other kit has a knife or something. However I don't think that idea will go well either.

But keep brainstorming/suggesting. If there's even a 10% chance we can find a better comprimise its worth it.
Wasn't this becuase if the shared ammunition? Ea the "rifle with bayonet" and "rifle without bayonet" would have to use seperate ammunition instead of sharing the same magazine (bullet count)? 

I agree though that else it would be a nice alternative so you can walk around with bayonette attached (just not working, silly enough which might confuse some people -> "I see bayonette but I can not use it? Thus having to explain again waepons can't fire two different projectiles like stabbing with right mouse button and firing bullets with left mouse button) if you so desire. Ohwell perhaps an other time. =p

Offline Miklas

• Ingame: Calle_XVI
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18-05-2009, 22:05:19 »
I guess in mode "4" you can't use the bayonet. So what is whole effort creating it for? oO

Even though Kev4000 said that it wasn't possible to implement I'll still clarify:
Mode 4 would be there because this would simulate a rifle man having his bayonet ready (and the negative effects this brings along). Due to engine limitations you can't stab in this mode but you would be able to switch to mode 5 instantly (so you can stab but not shoot). Also not having mode 4 would mean that if you wanted to stab your enemy without waiting for the bayonet to come on (i.e. going from "3" to "5") it would look rather silly if the bayonet instantly appeared without the attaching-animation.
All in all, this would be pretty close to reality where a soldier can choose to have his bayonet on or off and thus plan his fight a little better. The only difference would be that a real life soldier don't have to press button "5" before stabbing his enemy.  ;D

Offline Niam

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18-05-2009, 23:05:25 »
Would many people object if the bayonet is allways attached and switching to bayonet attack would cost only very little time?
Another, admittedly utopistic suggestion would be to give every class a melee mode. If you switch to melee, you can use i.e. the rifle butt to attack.
The advantage is a faster switch to your melee weapon and therefore a more authentic behaviour. Additionally it would be a consistent system for every class and brings smooth gameplay and doesn't confuse players.
The disadvantage is the still not solved problem of a long bayonet attach time. In this system there seems to be only two ways to tackle it, to shorten the animation time significantly or have the bayonet allways attached and make the weapon switch just a small movement of the rifle. Of course the biggest problem is the amount of work and animation needed to implement such a system and therefore it may not be feasible. 

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #39 on: 18-05-2009, 23:05:10 »

Unless it can be done like this i don't want to see any changes.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19-05-2009, 00:05:49 »

Unless it can be done like this i don't want to see any changes.

It can't be done like that.  Elaborating on Kev's post, I believe you can only have one "deploy" animation per weapon.  I.E.  No matter what, "4" or "5" will either always show you attaching the bayonet when you switch to it or having the Bayonet magically teleport onto the barrel instantly, regardless of which number you had selected beforehand.  This is why you never see the soldier removing a bayonet or Rifle-Grenade Launcher from his gun in-game now.  You can only have one animation per weapon that plays when you switch to that weapon (related: you can only have one reload animation, which is why you always reload a full stripper clip [or two for Enfields] even when you have a few rounds left in the internal magazine).

Can we do anything with the "Fire Mode" feature (the one that lets switch between Full-Auto and Semi-Auto on certain weapons)?  I'm assuming that the game treats both firing modes as the same weapon (even though there is a small animation [usually flipping a switch, I think] when you change firing modes), so I don't think it's possible with the "one projectile per weapon" clause. 

Is there a way to make the model of the weapon itself dangerous (or actually, the bayonet part of the model)?  Like, you could switch to the bayonet, still be able to shoot, but less accurately, but also be able to hurt people by just running into them (or more specifically, just making the model of the bayonet touch them)?  If that's possible, would it be possible to make the damage proportionate to how fast you are going (i.e. it does more damage if you run or sprint into them then if you just stand in place and wave your pointy thing around)?  Of course, this would make multi-man bayonet charges more dangerous, because if someone twitches the wrong way, he could stab his buddy without actually pushing any button.

I'm just trying to get some options out there.  Like Kev said, if there is the slightest chance of something working, we should get it out there in the hopes that the Devs could get it to work.

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19-05-2009, 00:05:16 »
Wasn't this becuase if the shared ammunition? Ea the "rifle with bayonet" and "rifle without bayonet" would have to use seperate ammunition instead of sharing the same magazine (bullet count)? 

I agree though that else it would be a nice alternative so you can walk around with bayonette attached (just not working, silly enough which might confuse some people -> "I see bayonette but I can not use it? Thus having to explain again waepons can't fire two different projectiles like stabbing with right mouse button and firing bullets with left mouse button) if you so desire. Ohwell perhaps an other time. =p

Its because you cannot code "takes this amount of time to switch from weapon X to weapon Y", it has to be "it takes this amount of time to switch to weapon Y". Shared ammunition works just fine in BF2, as you can see in the beta. I don't think anything in 2.15 uses shared ammo though.

Biiviz

« Reply #42 on: 19-05-2009, 11:05:15 »
Shared ammunition worked even in BF42 I think, with the BAR for example.

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19-05-2009, 15:05:43 »
Shared ammunition worked even in BF42 I think, with the BAR for example.
I guess it's the same example in 2.2 (as AFAIK there isn't code switch for multiple fire rates on one weapon (only 1 - 3 - auto)).

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #44 on: 19-05-2009, 15:05:03 »
Machineguns in PR are another example for shared ammunitions if someone is really curious to see.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."