Author Topic: Need help with clients ctd in my minimod  (Read 7782 times)

Offline Professor_Smith

• View Profile
Need help with clients ctd in my minimod
« on: 26-04-2009, 03:04:40 »
Hi There,
     I've been making a mini-mod of all the great mods out there for the past 5 years now (FH being a large part of said mini-mod).  I've been doing all of it on my own, asking questions on forums, getting tips, etc.  I'm close to the point where I will be placing the mod online, starting my own server, etc., but I'm having trouble with a few of the maps where the Clients will Crash to the Desktop.  This only happens in maps that I have placed in defense guns, machine guns, etc. that have soldier spawns in their objects.con files.  Can anyone tell me why this might be happening and what I can do to fix it?

I have tried placing the custom objects into the maps, I've tried taking them out and placing them into the mod's Objects.rfa file.  I have the spawn group numbers seperate for each custom soldier spawning object, placed in the Game.rfa file.  Nothing I do seems to work.

I am getting other errors when I use the debugger, like "Sound parameters false 1", and sometimes getting sound file larger than buffer size, but I don't think that would be causing these client crashes.

The host computer is loading up the maps, but the clients still CTD.

Any Ideas???

Thank You,

Professor Smith

P.S.-Also, when I have FH installed on my computer, the serverinfo icons that I have chosen for my minimod, are always overwritten by the FH serverinfo icons that are next to each map name on the list.  Any way to stop this from happening?
Lets make war games, not war.

azreal

Re: Need help with clients ctd in my minimod
« Reply #1 on: 26-04-2009, 05:04:13 »
Ok, when you say minimod you mean you are including the files and placing them into a new mod?

Offline Professor_Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-04-2009, 05:04:10 »
Okay, when I say mini mod, that means that I've taken objects, effects, etc. from other mods (such as FH), placed them in my mini mod, and edited them to fit.  I've already talked to most of the mod owners and gotten permission if thats what you're asking.  Can you help me with my problem(s)?

Professor Smith

azreal

« Reply #3 on: 26-04-2009, 06:04:36 »
Do you have any sort of proof to show that Lobo has given you permission, because I'm not going to get involved in this until you do.

Offline Professor_Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-04-2009, 16:04:02 »
     If you talk to Lobo yourself, just ask him about the Professor_Smith who had a strange way of getting answers on the forum.  He and I were talking for a bit after that, and he gave me every answer he could in helping me get thru previous problems.  Really is a nice guy.  Anyway, as I told him, I had never even checked to see what a mini-mod was until he started explaining it to me (please remember, I spent 5 years off and on, perfecting a mod myself; no modding team, and had to find out a lot of things the hard way).  Anyway, just contact Lobo, and he should know who you're talking about.

Oh, and by the way, I tried converting a different map recently to my mini mod, and it loads up all the way to the ready screen, but then CTD as well.  The debugger says that there is an "Unknown kit part", but it doesn't list in which kit this unknown part is.  I think it is interference from one of the other mods.  Is there a way to decide what my mini mod uses out of the original mods, and what it doesn't use?

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-04-2009, 08:04:04 »
Professor_Smith for the last time, you've been coming to this forum with this Mod too many times asking how to do that and this.... No one cares if you spent 5, 10 or 20 years making this Mod, you are not releasing a Mod containing FH content unless your mod requires FH 0.7 to be installed meaning you make a Mini-Mod to FH... You say in this thread you're making a Mini-Mod - no you arent, you are making a normal Mod, with loads of content from other Normal Mods... A MiniMod tells in init.con to read bf42 > realMod > YourMod.

I am 100% totally against this Mod, no matter what Lobo has said - just make it MiniMod!! Why on earth is this so much of a problem for you?? If you make it a miniMod, Im 100% FOR this Mod, because it can be cool, and I wouldnt mind helping you with the crashes, as for now, and the way you present the mod and your talk with Lobo, I just feel angry about it.

Make a better presentation, explain your ideas, list the content, be professional... Now you give the impression of a copy-paste ripper modder, something everyone is against.

I rarely get upset like this, but just_make_the_mod_read_fh_from_init.con as it should be.

Period.

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28-04-2009, 15:04:25 »
I said him that he can't add unedited FH files, only his edited work, ergo he must make a minimod, ergo the player must have FH installed or his mod doesn't work.

If he didn't understand this is another matter

Okay, when I say mini mod, that means that I've taken objects, effects, etc. from other mods (such as FH), placed them in my mini mod, and edited them to fit.  I've already talked to most of the mod owners and gotten permission if thats what you're asking.

This is not a mini-mod, and you have NOT our permission to add our content under these conditions, so mini-mod or nothing, I told you hundreds times.

« Last Edit: 28-04-2009, 15:04:36 by Lobo »

Offline Professor_Smith

• View Profile
Okay, to get this straight in both of your heads, I DO PLAN on making the init file read from FH and the other mods that certain things are from, to fill in the blanks, and make it a mini-mod.  I have no problem with that as I said before.  The problem I'm having, is that when I DO HAVE the init file read from other mods such as FH, it causes my clients to crash.  I, the host, load up just fine,  but they crash when they try to connect.  Can you now please answer my questions above.  As for all the things I've copied and pasted, I have re-edited a lot of them to fit the style, personality, etc. of the mini-mod I've created.  Mostly, this mini-mod is going to be reading the textures, standardmeshes, etc. off the mods things were used from.  The scripting has been redone.  I could give examples, but it'd probably just be easier sending you a few files and having you look over them or something.

Now, on another matter, I noticed a lot of the FH scripting used conditional statements.  I found a small tutorial on using conditional statements, but not enough to Really Understand it.  So, I was wondering, do either of you or anyone you know, have a better tutorial for learning how to use conditional statements?  Also, please answer my other questions in my original messages guys, and stop trying to make it seem as if I'm trying to make a full mod here.  I'm not.  I am doing this to make a mini-mod of LOTS OF many different mods, PROMOTING SAID OTHER MODS.  My goal is to make a server, hopefully get some dontations thrown my way, and in return, throw a percentage of said donations to each of the modding teams that I used material from.  Does that make more sense to you guys?

Professor Smith

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-04-2009, 02:04:35 »
I have the spawn group numbers seperate for each custom soldier spawning object, placed in the Game.rfa file

Don't add more spawn groups in that game.rfa file, BF42 acepts a limited number of those and FH reached the limit. Add one more and the clients disconect

Professor_Smith , I really hope you are doing this how I told you, I mean, remove FH folder out of your BF42 installation, if your mod still works I release the Hound Dogs

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #9 on: 29-04-2009, 03:04:24 »
  Hold on guys....Let me grab some popcorn.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Professor_Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29-04-2009, 03:04:21 »
Lobo, what was the number limit that FH reached.  Do you remember?

Professor Smith

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-04-2009, 03:04:09 »
I don't know man, I am not coder, I know this specifically because we broke this rule when we were developing 0.7 to add some spawn groups for sea vehicles in Saipan map. It screwed maps with lot of cp's and spawn groups, like ramelle.

We got nuts until I asked our former coder and we were brainstorming, he asked about the spawn groups and we found out the bugger. Years later the BG42 guys had the same issue, and we laughed a lot, it's the only thing I know about advanced code.

I think FH is in the limit, check the file, count, that

Offline Professor_Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29-04-2009, 03:04:24 »
Thank You.  So, what about objects like mgs and def guns, that have soldier spawns scripted into the object's objects.con file?  Would that be causing any problems that you or anyone else knows of?  Could you ask your team?

Thanks Again,

Professor Smith

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29-04-2009, 08:04:54 »
It is the combined number of active SpawnGroups per map that counts, doesn't matter if its from Controlpoints (which I hope you know the limit is 8 ) or Spawngroups or Objects.con
The limit is somewhere above or close to 12-13 IIRC (per map)

So if "your" map has 5 CPs, you can add a few defguns with spawnpoints, some mobile spawnpoints etc, just check any fh map, count active spawngroups.. Iwo Jima is a good measurement. (has 12 I think)

Post your init.con, and if you want any more help from me, change the attitude in general!

ServerInfo icon will show if you set up your mod correct (and path in Menu/init.con in the maps), its easy, just menu textures.

Offline RedSand

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-04-2009, 08:04:11 »
I havent read all these posts, but I'm getting the general negative aura here and have to ask, weren't you working on this like 2 years ago?
« Last Edit: 30-04-2009, 08:04:58 by RedSand »