Author Topic: Need help with clients ctd in my minimod  (Read 7783 times)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
Re: Need help with clients ctd in my minimod
« Reply #15 on: 01-05-2009, 11:05:12 »
  Hold on guys....Let me grab some popcorn.
Sit back and watch, the cooler with beer and soda is on your left side.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Professor_Smith

• View Profile
game.SetCustomGameName HTroop
game.addmodPath Mods/HTroop/
game.addmodPath Mods/FH/
game.addModPath Mods/bf1942/

game.customGameFlushArchives 0

game.setCustomGameVersion 1.61b
game.setCustomGameUrl ""

Game.setMenuMusicFilename ""
Game.setLoadMusicFilename "music/vehicle4.bik"
Game.setWinMusicFilename "music/vehicle3.bik"
Game.setLoseMusicFilename "music/menu.bik"
Game.setCampaignLoseMusicFilename "music/theme2.bik"
Game.setDebriefingMusicFilename "music/briefing.bik"

game.setCustomGameInfo "Welcome to HTroop gentlemen!  The Grand Admiral has hand picked each and every one of you to be part of this new battallion for each of your special talents.  Because of reports of the enemy releasing new weaponry and equipment into the field of battle ahead of our time estimates, we've decided to do the same, and even out the playing field.  You will be charged with testing this prototype equipment during your combat missions.  I advise you not to use the nuclear(Yes I said nuclear) detonation packs too much.  We don't want your parents asking questions like why is my son glowing?.....There are a lot more modifications we've made that you'll be testing so get your butts out there and give'em what for!!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Does it matter which order in which the line:

"game.addmodPath Mods/[Mod Name]/"

must go in my mod's init file?  Which mods should be read from first thru last?

- When that line above is placed into the init.con file, how will I know what .rfa files, and what objects, and such will be read from each different mod?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- What happens (in detail) when my mod reads off of your's, if some of the scripting lines/commands are the same, and some are different in my versions of your vehicles, objects, etc. (i.e. keeping the original models, etc., but not all of the original scripting)?

- Another example of what I'm talking about is the fact that FH modders changed the scripting almost completely themselves, making regular bf1942 vehicles not able to damage, collide with, etc. the FH vehicles.

- Some maps are still crashing to the desktop, when I am the host, running a local area network game or internet game.  With some maps, this happens when switching from map to map, even though when those same maps are placed at the top of the list of maps you start to play, it loads in just fine.  Any ideas of why this is happening?  It seems as though when I "Alt + Tab" out to the desktop while the maps are switching, then "Alt + Tab" back, it helps to load it, but then randomly, within the middle of the map being played (half the tickets down), it just suddenly CTDs.
(Off topic question)

- Is there a way to place the crosshairs in 3rd person view and the line of sight correct for the crosshairs, compensating for the differend angle of the camera?

Thank You,

Professor Smith
Lets make war games, not war.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile

- Does it matter which order in which the line:

"game.addmodPath Mods/[Mod Name]/"

must go in my mod's init file?  Which mods should be read from first thru last?

Like you wrote it, bf1942 from the bottom, then Fh, then your mod at the top. IIRC (It is 1.5 years since I made a bf42 mod) init.con always reads from the bottom - up. This is important for example when AlternativeTexturePathing maps.

- When that line above is placed into the init.con file, how will I know what .rfa files, and what objects, and such will be read from each different mod?
Well, it is quite easy to know - the .rfa files that is in each mod, will be read... If you have an Object in Htroop with the same name as an Object in any of the others, your version will overwrite those ones...
Just check Sherman. Compare Sherman in bf1942 and Sherman in FH.
It will read all .rfa files...
- What happens (in detail) when my mod reads off of your's, if some of the scripting lines/commands are the same, and some are different in my versions of your vehicles, objects, etc. (i.e. keeping the original models, etc., but not all of the original scripting)?

Well, in bf1942 if you have an Objects.con file in your mod (take Sherman again, say you want to give it another Material, or mor or less HitPoints) it will replace any previous Objects.con file for that object (e.g. both bf1942 and FH).. By this I mean; the whole file.. the engine doesnt compare lines inside the .con files, it reads whole, or nothing.
- Another example of what I'm talking about is the fact that FH modders changed the scripting almost completely themselves, making regular bf1942 vehicles not able to damage, collide with, etc. the FH vehicles.

Yes. FH has a totally different DamageSystem than bf1942. It is virtually a different game... If you for example make a map and put a FH Tiger against a bf42 Sherman, the sherman will win. (or if it is the other way around, doesn't matter). You also need to check the Material on the StandardMesh.sm files on all vehicles, it is not enough to just edit the Material in the Objects.con. (e.g. open model in 3dStudioMax, check the surfaces which material they have, correspond look in the MaterialManager.con file and the DamageSystem file)
- Some maps are still crashing to the desktop, when I am the host, running a local area network game or internet game.  With some maps, this happens when switching from map to map, even though when those same maps are placed at the top of the list of maps you start to play, it loads in just fine.  Any ideas of why this is happening?  It seems as though when I "Alt + Tab" out to the desktop while the maps are switching, then "Alt + Tab" back, it helps to load it, but then randomly, within the middle of the map being played (half the tickets down), it just suddenly CTDs.

Omg, well I have troubleshooted so many similar crashes and they are all different.... I usually clear the map of all spawning things, then add a bunch, test, add, test etc until I localize the crash-cause... I guess you know how to scan the debugger output file and check for errors related to that map... it it boring, but most of the time, the cause is there.... and it is usually something Spawning that does it.
(Off topic question)
- Is there a way to place the crosshairs in 3rd person view and the line of sight correct for the crosshairs, compensating for the differend angle of the camera?

This I have no idea at all about... 3rd person view?.. IMO that is a bf42 bug, which allowed 3P view in all Mods that I know of... the "line of sight" will be always from the camera -> to the crosshair in any case, and it would be weird/bad to have a game that had anything different...

good luck, as I said, I might have forgot some bf42 stuff, as its been a while.  8)

Offline Professor_Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18-01-2011, 21:01:13 »
I havent read all these posts, but I'm getting the general negative aura here and have to ask, weren't you working on this like 2 years ago?

Yes, you are correct.  I have been working on this mod for 6 or 7 years now (it's been so long, I can't even remember).  I'm only one man though.  The only help I've been getting has been people play testing the mod and those answering questions I have over forums, etc.  I haven't gotten any offers of actual editing help yet.  I know it'll sound cheesey, but I feel like i'm in the children's story of Henny Penny.

Professor Smith

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18-01-2011, 22:01:58 »
impossible to not post this at this moment....  :-\

Offline Professor_Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18-01-2011, 22:01:00 »
Gee Natty.....And you think I need to adjust my atitude?  You'd better hope that we never meet one another face to face *@@#%$&

Another useful tidbit by Professor Smith

Professor Smith

P.S.-Kinda figures you're a Magic player (no imagination).
« Last Edit: 18-01-2011, 22:01:06 by Professor_Smith »

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #21 on: 19-01-2011, 00:01:56 »
impossible to not post this at this moment....  :-\

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd187/GrandLordKhorne/online%20use/thread_necromancer.png

Really possible to not post that at all, actually.. Unless, of course, you really have this strange urge of acting like an asshole when you really don't have to, nor should..

..just saying

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19-01-2011, 00:01:14 »
I gotta agree with FatJoe on this.  If you could read the book "How to restrain" made for children, it would be good for you Natty.

Professor_Smith you tried but didnt achieved, it happens. Good luck for the future projects.

impossible to not post this at this moment....  :-\

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd187/GrandLordKhorne/online%20use/thread_necromancer.png

Really possible to not post that at all, actually.. Unless, of course, you really have this strange urge of acting like an asshole when you really don't have to, nor should..

..just saying

azreal

« Reply #23 on: 19-01-2011, 01:01:52 »
settle down children.