Author Topic: Why did almost only the Germans use muzzle brakes on tanks?  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
Re: Why did almost only the Germans use muzzle brakes on tanks?
« Reply #30 on: 07-01-2010, 23:01:07 »
Yeah, they gave a muzzle brake to the Boys rifle tough, gues there soldiers werent manly enough :p

Or the recoil would have dislocated their shoulder. One of the two.
that would be funny to watch

Offline 9.Pz-Div. Günther

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08-01-2010, 01:01:27 »
Ofcourse I wasn't implying that it WAS easy Mudra. Mind you. Otherwise it would obviously have been different. But I WAS wondering why, and that's all I wanted to know.

Think of a person, who thinks he is so strong but never actually fights somebody in a really bloody fight. You got a kind of absent-mindedness. He went into a fight and didn't change his mind until he got quite bruised.

What do you mean by that?

The 'te' seems so unGerman and more Frenchalike.

Well that might *possibly* be because it's a loan word of the french l'affut / l'affust.
You are no engineer, but you obviously don't seem to be a humanist as well. Please make like five more posts and we can specify your exact job, paygrade and the place you learned, or alternatively your school grade, school type and school location.

What's with the hostility? Take it elsewhere..

You definitely show as the *better* person with childish sarcastic remarks! Pathetic..
« Last Edit: 08-01-2010, 01:01:04 by Sgt.Loco »

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #32 on: 08-01-2010, 12:01:33 »
Ofcourse I wasn't implying that it WAS easy Mudra. Mind you. Otherwise it would obviously have been different. But I WAS wondering why, and that's all I wanted to know.

Think of a person, who thinks he is so strong but never actually fights somebody in a really bloody fight. You got a kind of absent-mindedness. He went into a fight and didn't change his mind until he got quite bruised.

What do you mean by that?

What I believe he means is you can have a tank that you believe to be really strong and tough, but untill it's in combat you can't know for sure. That is were its weaknesses are highlighted and thats were they see whether the tank is really as good as they though it was.

Taranov

« Reply #33 on: 08-01-2010, 13:01:53 »
Not all german tanks have muzzle brakes.
Main problem of muzzle brake - tank spotted by enemy after first fire. It's main reason why muzzle brakeremoved from Panzer IV/70, Hetzer, Jagdtiger, Panzer III with kwk 39 L/60 (same barrel than Pak 38, but without muzzle brake). Red Army have only one mass-production tank with muzzle brake - IS-2. Too powerful ammo for using without muzzle brake. Also muzzle brakes have SU-76 and SU/ISU-152, but reason is simple - they use ML-20 and ZIS-3 guns without recoil system changes.
Too big recoil power been main reason why late series M4(72)W, M36 GMC, late series M18 GMC and M26 Heavy Tank have muzzle brake on the guns.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #34 on: 08-01-2010, 13:01:36 »
Interesting Taranov, so while reducing recoil it creates more smoke or flash or something?
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Taranov

« Reply #35 on: 08-01-2010, 14:01:10 »
Interesting Taranov, so while reducing recoil it creates more smoke or flash or something?

Not more smoke. With muzzle brake part of muzzle flash hit to sides. It's also not good for infantry in tank attack - you can hit friendly fire from muzzle brake.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08-01-2010, 14:01:43 »
And I think in some of the German tank hunters the muzzle brake was so close to the ground that it caused dust to rise, giving away the position and blinding the driver.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08-01-2010, 14:01:00 »
didn't they put in suppression panels for that late-war?

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08-01-2010, 18:01:40 »

You definitely show as the *better* person with childish sarcastic remarks! Pathetic..

Nope, you're better! In other words: NO U!
As you are the one starting the hostility by failing to interprete my sarcasm in the way that they were meant, i.e. not hostile.

Offline granpa_jo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08-01-2010, 19:01:20 »
A few more reasons to have a muzzle brake:

-Directs some of the gases in a horizontal angle, and cuts down on the amount of dust a debris kicked up in front of the tank.   (works for large caliber rifles as well)

-Redirects some of the smoke and hot luminous gases from directly in front of the commander and gunner's view.  Clears the air faster so you can track your shot earlier.  This really only is needed for the high velocity type guns that can fire looooooooooong ranges.  Like the 88mm on the Tiger.

-Reduces recoil, cutting back on the amount of lateral force applied to the turret mechanism and gun elevation mechanism. If you recoil mechanism is "bottoming out" before all the energy is bled, that excess energy has to go somewhere, and like water it will take the easiest path and that could be into the rotation of the turret or the rotation of the gun elevation mechanism (especially if the main gun is off center).  Cutting back on the amount of recoil, means you can also use less recoil absorption equipment, which means less weight and space taken up.

Offline 9.Pz-Div. Günther

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08-01-2010, 23:01:12 »

Nope, you're better! In other words: NO U!
As you are the one starting the hostility by failing to interprete my sarcasm in the way that they were meant, i.e. not hostile.

Sarcasm translates to hostility and you realize this.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08-01-2010, 23:01:47 »
Whats up kids. Having a pickering are we?