Author Topic: The panther and the M8  (Read 3591 times)

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
The panther and the M8
« on: 01-01-2010, 23:01:10 »
Today (on the 79th's sever I believe) I felt like being badass and hunting the panther in the M8.  I managed to find the panther and put 2 37mm rounds ni his arse but he didn't take any damage.  After 5 minutes of escaping the pursuing panther and finally hiding in a headgerow (How could he drive past my m8 while im hiding in a headgerow?! well it was a pubby...  ::) ) I managed to calm down and would like to ask these questions.   What is the mm of the rear armor of the panther? Does the panther have an sweet spots?

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
Re: The panther and the M8
« Reply #1 on: 01-01-2010, 23:01:41 »
The Panther engine deck is the weakest spot for the Stuart or M8, is too hard to hit and almost suicidal.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-01-2010, 23:01:18 »
40 mm @ 30 degrees.

One could consider the shot-trap a sweet spot. Aim at the lower part of the gun mantlet and the shell might deflect and penetrate the top armour under the mantlet. I'm not sure if it works with the 37 mm, tho. :/
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01-01-2010, 23:01:33 »
Supposedly, the only part of the Panther that 37mm cannon on the Greyhound and Stuart can hurt is the engine deck behind the turret.  And you need to be above the Panther to do it (not possible on Luttich).  And I'm fairly certain it takes several shots to kill the Panther shooting there with the 37mm.

So, for all intents and purposes (;)), the Panther is all but immune to the Greyhound and Stuart.

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01-01-2010, 23:01:01 »
Ah my hunch was right, while escaping I figured the engine deck must have been the weak part I could hit to kill

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01-01-2010, 23:01:48 »
Luckily, if you get the drop on them, the 37mm cannon rips apart all the other vehicles on Luttich.  Just stay away from the kitties.

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01-01-2010, 23:01:49 »
Well for all intensive purposes ( 8)) you could kill just about anything on luttich but yes, avoid the kitties. I've also noticed the M5A1 light tank is the worst tank on that map, I always hear the squeek of its tracks (this half track noises when driving) before I see it and its slower than the M8 while being the same calibre gun.

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-01-2010, 00:01:02 »
Well for all intensive purposes ( 8)) you could kill just about anything on luttich but yes, avoid the kitties. I've also noticed the M5A1 light tank is the worst tank on that map, I always hear the squeek of its tracks (this half track noises when driving) before I see it and its slower than the M8 while being the same calibre gun.

Only thing the M5A1 has over the Greyhound is that it has a slightly smaller profile.  Otherwise, it is the same or worse in all other categories.

Offline Mazz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02-01-2010, 00:01:15 »
Greyhound does well, but the Puma is where the fun is on that map since you don't have to be concerned about ignoring anything. G40 will kill a Sherman in 1, and its always worth a laugh when they see you first and even shoot first but the round deflects cause hitboxes and scout cars don't always mix.

M5 almost seems pointless since its only role on the map is fulfilled by the M8. Fun thing to do in the M8 or M5 is canister shot those bastards who try and hide in the grass once they know you've seen them. HE works better but is not nearly as fulfilling.
Michael Wittmann's gunner, Bobby Woll, was known to be an excellent Marksman.
He could hit targets at range even on the move.

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-01-2010, 00:01:13 »
I wonder if the same trick that works with 2-lbers works with the 37mm as well. That being ramming the kitteh up the ass and firing away. That way the shot is fired inside the tank and one/two shots kill it (can't remember which)
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-01-2010, 00:01:55 »
Yes, because informing people about exploits stops them from using said exploits... ::)

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-01-2010, 01:01:07 »
As far as i'm concerned, as pointless as he Stuart may seem, it's still historically accurate and it was a light tank and can't just be ignored. IIRC, the the M5/M3's were more infantry support tanks, so therefor you should probably try avoiding major tank battles while opperating them and stay more concerned with backing up your men, and visa-versa, having your men back you and your crew up (riflemen and bazooka support). If done well, it can make a killer combo. I personally like the M5 Stuart, it's fast fairly agile, and small...I'm not a fan of huge tanks and heavy armour... in matter of fact I don't really like tanks and heavy armour in general, I would prefer soft skinned vehicles anyday, if there was a Panther or a Kubel, I'd take a Kubel, Sherman or Willys MB, i'd take the jeep.

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-01-2010, 01:01:34 »
I usually use what ever, I love tanking because pubbys are too stupid to use cover and often go out into the open  ;D

I wonder if the same trick that works with 2-lbers works with the 37mm as well. That being ramming the kitteh up the ass and firing away. That way the shot is fired inside the tank and one/two shots kill it (can't remember which)

Paasky, I love you

Offline Mazz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02-01-2010, 01:01:31 »
Nah Paasky, cause you have to get the gun above the Panther's deck to do it, which Greyhound cannot do unlike the Daimler. M5 maybe, but how often does that thing not get noticed from half the map away. I've tried on Luttich w/ the M8 to no avail.

Otherwise your bugged graphic will still be registering hits to the side armor.
Michael Wittmann's gunner, Bobby Woll, was known to be an excellent Marksman.
He could hit targets at range even on the move.

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02-01-2010, 02:01:00 »
Yes, because informing people about exploits stops them from using said exploits... ::)
If the guy in the Panther is too awesome to notice another tank humping him, he deserves to die.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".