Author Topic: Possibility to "tow" AT guns!  (Read 4152 times)

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
Re: Possibility to "tow" AT guns!
« Reply #30 on: 27-12-2009, 08:12:59 »
As towing seems to be impossible, to me the perfect AT gun right now would have two "states" (maybe set by the up/down arrows):
- One "static" state in which you can aim and turn the gun (but not move it)
- One "movement" state in which the gun can be moved (maybe faster than now, depending on the gun's weight) but you can't shoot. Ideally, the barrel would be lowered, the carriage a bit risen, the stabilization arms regrouped in the axis of the gun and the guy manning the gun would be a standard soldier walking near the stabilization arms.

This way, the AT guns are restricted to a defense/ambush role as they should, can't be used while on the move (letting this feature to vehicles only), and can be set up easily all over the map.

I did have this idea once, 2 seats. Seat 2 is locked if seat one is occupied so no funny stuff. Seat 1 is the push animation, you can't fire the gun, and the animation is a guy pulling it or pushing it, seat2 is the fire animation as we currently have, but you cannot move the gun while you fire.. its not a frigging tank.

As for towing, I do think the possibility exists, it just requires taking the one with the least side effects... not being able to re-attach the gun is NOT a side-effect.

As for the 88, I highly recommend the FH0.6 version of lowering ramp and raising ramp to place it back in mobile mode... We need them mobile 88s in hedgerow country :-)

2 seats is a bad idea IMO... a waste of players.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27-12-2009, 09:12:45 »
As towing seems to be impossible, to me the perfect AT gun right now would have two "states" (maybe set by the up/down arrows):
- One "static" state in which you can aim and turn the gun (but not move it)
- One "movement" state in which the gun can be moved (maybe faster than now, depending on the gun's weight) but you can't shoot. Ideally, the barrel would be lowered, the carriage a bit risen, the stabilization arms regrouped in the axis of the gun and the guy manning the gun would be a standard soldier walking near the stabilization arms.

This way, the AT guns are restricted to a defense/ambush role as they should, can't be used while on the move (letting this feature to vehicles only), and can be set up easily all over the map.

I did have this idea once, 2 seats. Seat 2 is locked if seat one is occupied so no funny stuff. Seat 1 is the push animation, you can't fire the gun, and the animation is a guy pulling it or pushing it, seat2 is the fire animation as we currently have, but you cannot move the gun while you fire.. its not a frigging tank.

As for towing, I do think the possibility exists, it just requires taking the one with the least side effects... not being able to re-attach the gun is NOT a side-effect.
As for the 88, I highly recommend the FH0.6 version of lowering and raising ramp to place it back in mobile mode... We need them mobile 88s in hedgerow country :-)

2 seats is a bad idea IMO... a waste of players.

Offline Gl@mRock

• À vaincre sans périls, on triomphe sans gloire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27-12-2009, 19:12:06 »
I'm sure it would be nice to have "towable" AT guns in game but for the type of battle/size of maps we play, we don't really need them.
Except for what we have now, plus the tanks already do the job.

The devs should put time and efforts in fixing expending the mod, fixing animations and code.

Your idea should be a side project for the UF team to do.

Just my opinion.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27-12-2009, 19:12:23 »
I'm sure it would be nice to have "towable" AT guns in game but for the type of battle/size of maps we play, we don't really need them.
Except for what we have now, plus the tanks already do the job.

The devs should put time and efforts in fixing expending the mod, fixing animations and code.

Your idea should be a side project for the UF team to do.

Just my opinion.

AT guns are essential for anti tank defence, and anti flank manoeuvres. There's maps were only the allies get tank support while the germans must use the Pak 40 for defending themselves. So a well placed AT gun cant be placed because you are a turtle moving that thing around, so its better to have a truck, half track or universal carrier that does the job quickly.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27-12-2009, 20:12:56 »
It adds alot to fluid defensive lines too - Along with deployable mgs and may be even deplyable sandbags that take like 5minutes to deploy, so that you don't do it once you hear a tank coming, AND with some luck, team-play, this could create a fresh-game play for FH2...

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27-12-2009, 20:12:18 »
It would be fun being able to have efensive lines like that, sometimes static gun just dont do it for me. It would definitely re-inforce the concept of teamwork on pubbys at least a bit

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27-12-2009, 21:12:19 »
Maybe a way to make AT guns re deployable is to make it such that once you get off... ie. after a WHILE after you get off, given its not destroyed outright, it can be redeployed by the truck to another place...

Same goes for deployable 88s such that a tanker doesn't just destroy the truck to destroy everything with it.

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30-12-2009, 03:12:37 »
i support Trucks and certain half tracks having the right click button to deploy A.T. guns.
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30-12-2009, 07:12:37 »
It would be fun being able to have efensive lines like that, sometimes static gun just dont do it for me. It would definitely re-inforce the concept of teamwork on pubbys at least a bit

why use AT guns for defensive? a Pak35/36 could be very nice thing to be in an offensive...BOOM and a whole british squad is in pieces.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30-12-2009, 08:12:35 »
True, Im just saying it would solidify the lines a bit more instead of a ninja SL poppin babies out in a bush somewhere in the back of your territory for capping a flag

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 30-12-2009, 09:12:11 »
True, Im just saying it would solidify the lines a bit more instead of a ninja SL poppin babies out in a bush somewhere in the back of your territory for capping a flag

not quite related to AT guns though I hate soldiers spawning out of nowhere (maybe they are from underground tunnels  ;D  or WWII cloaking technology  :D)

really I wish sometimes I could cloak myself pretenting that I haven't spawned at all.

Offline Mazz

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30-12-2009, 09:12:58 »
Well, in the Germans case, we don't need towable AT guns as much when you could just make the Hanomag variants with the Pak 40 and Stummel on them  ;D.

Idk how much of a fan I am of dropping AT guns out of the back of a truck, unless there's some kind of visual to represent it, like the giant crate. I don't want to ignore some regular truck out of necessity in battle only to have it insta-spawn some AT gun on my flank.
Michael Wittmann's gunner, Bobby Woll, was known to be an excellent Marksman.
He could hit targets at range even on the move.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 30-12-2009, 10:12:29 »
Well, in the Germans case, we don't need towable AT guns as much when you could just make the Hanomag variants with the Pak 40 and Stummel on them  ;D.

Idk how much of a fan I am of dropping AT guns out of the back of a truck, unless there's some kind of visual to represent it, like the giant crate. I don't want to ignore some regular truck out of necessity in battle only to have it insta-spawn some AT gun on my flank.

those trucks should be slower than average? I suppose?

now, you'll probably hate the kubelwagon-towed PaK35/36...

Offline Mazz

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 30-12-2009, 19:12:03 »
As long as there's some sort of visual of it happening I don't care if its a 222 towing a Pak 40 (god I love Men of War), just so long as its represented somehow.
Michael Wittmann's gunner, Bobby Woll, was known to be an excellent Marksman.
He could hit targets at range even on the move.

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #44 on: 30-12-2009, 22:12:23 »
Air droped AT gun! :D