Author Topic: Which map do you want the most?  (Read 11383 times)

Offline Cpl. Mallard

• Proud owner of an SMLE Mk.III*
    • View Profile
Re: Which map do you want the most?
« Reply #15 on: 08-04-2009, 00:04:01 »
A massive map of the countryside for the airborne landings. I dont know if anyones familiar with the glider map in the TDP Mappack but something like that yet bigger. Always enjoyed the few night maps. Operation Blacknight my personal favorite of all FH.

Something really cool would be an air nightfighter map without bombers. Like when US and British P-61 Black Widows and DeHavilland Mosquitoes converted to night fighters (called nightfighters as well as intruders) flew at night into the Hartz mountains of Germany and tore up stuff. And defenders would be the infamous He219 Uhu, Ju88 night fighter conversion, Bf 110 night fighter...etc. That would be my little bit of paradise.....
"And on the sixth day, God saw the need of a high powered rifle that could slaughter Germans at ranges in excess of 2000 yards, and so He created the Lee Enfield. And He saw that it was good, and so on the seventh day, God rested."

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08-04-2009, 00:04:19 »
Prohorveka(sp?) always had some of the best tank battles of FH.7 I thought.

Seeing as thats not probably going to be coming around anytime soon though, I have to actually say that I'd see maps like Bombing the Reich or Rheinbung just since they were so different from normal maps. Any mostly air map would be cool as I never get to do any piloting normally since I'm a terrible pilot and don't want to waste my teams few planes usually. I wouldn't mind if it was at night either but, I guess that would mean new night-fighters would have to be modeled, and some bombers are always fun ;D

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08-04-2009, 01:04:49 »
Midway, BF1942 style. Although the ships might pose a problem thanks to BF2s wonderful engine.

You have my vote for that.
I often prefered vanilla maps due to the short distances.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #18 on: 08-04-2009, 02:04:23 »
def. juno

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08-04-2009, 02:04:08 »
Arnhem, Pegasus, Midway, Karelia, Bombing the Reich/BoB.

Speaking of the Uhu, was the extremely low maneuverability in FH0.7 realistic? It always seemed like that thing was as maneuverable as a 4 engine bomber, nearly pointless for hunting in a map where you can still kinda see. (though I did have fun strafing things with my 30mm cannons.)
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

azreal

« Reply #20 on: 08-04-2009, 05:04:26 »
I would kill for a map based on the initial Airborne landings before D-Day. Hedgerows at night + C47s = pure sex!

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #21 on: 08-04-2009, 09:04:13 »
Arnhem.   

Seriously though, FTW.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Moku

• Waaagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08-04-2009, 12:04:55 »
I'd love to see Nordwind and Arnhem again as those are two of my all time favourites. AND Berlin Streets! That could be awesome with FH2 graphics. :)

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08-04-2009, 12:04:19 »
Prohorveka(sp?) always had some of the best tank battles of FH.7 I thought.

Prokhorovka. I think.

I'm not fussed about what map I get given. Any variation of the colour green and some cover would be nice.

Also: Bazookas.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #24 on: 08-04-2009, 14:04:47 »
Hehe, you can now see from what nation the people are. 80/90% wants a map with their nation.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08-04-2009, 14:04:41 »
When people say "Karelia" do you mean Karelia as a map from 0.7 which was a godawful generic map (gameplay wise fun but historically accurate just a generic map in the midst of many others) or do you mean something specific?

Karelia has many regions. The regions which were fought over were divided to Karelian Isthmus, Olonets Karelia and Ladoga's Karelia. So how I understand it, by saying Karelia, you just want some half-assed generic forest map with finns vs russians and slap a name Karelia on it?

Be more specific. Name a battle for starters.

/rant

« Last Edit: 08-04-2009, 15:04:58 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08-04-2009, 15:04:31 »
Well i ment Battle of Tali-Ihantala, would be awsome to see lots of russian tanks (T-34, KV-1) roaming over fields and having german airsupport (stukas) supporting defending finnish troops in the treeline. If ruskies manage to take the first line there would be lots of trench warfare with both teams having nice smg:s(M31 Suomi, PPSh). Finns would have very few tanks and at guns but they would be positioned into very good places and then there could be few fausts or schrecks  as pick up kits.. That was what i was thinking about  ;D.

Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive would also be nice. Stug vs IS-2 yeah!
« Last Edit: 08-04-2009, 16:04:35 by Paavopesusieni »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08-04-2009, 16:04:36 »
Battles of Tali and Ihantala were more than just finns sitting in a treeline and killing russians. How you just described it, it just sounds another generic.

Also, what exactly _is_ Viipuri-Petroskoi offensive? Do you mean the attack phase in 1941? Or perhaps the russian offensive on isthmus and olonets in 1944?

How I understood, you mean the attack phase when finns were advancing. Well, it wasnt Viipuri-Petroskoi offensive as the main weight originally was towards Ladoga's Karelia and to reach river Svir. But from the main attack formations a new group was formed in order to take Petroskoi and then move to Seesjärvi region at Maaselkä. Offensive on Isthmus was launched a lot later than the original attack towards Ladoga's Karelia.

How could you make such idea into a map thought? Again, you would have to pick a battle from the attack phase and base a map on that. Just having a "Viipuri-Petroskoi Offensive" as a map name would yet again be very generic, and thus unrealistic.

---

Now that you opened pandora's box, I must say that the campaign of Tali-Ihantala would alone house roughly 30 different maps set on real battles, and those are only the big noted battles if you tie several battles together into one map. If you made one map for each known battle from the campaign, you would have a hundred. And this is not counting all those hundreds of small firefights that were going on all the time around the clock, only the really important battles are taken into the count. So slapping finns to defend a random treeline with fausts Suomi's against the russian tank assaults, name it Tali-Ihantala and yet you would have another generic and historically inaccurate map which doesnt light my fire. FH2 is well known from taking real life places and turning them into maps. Names of places you can find from google, wikipedia and google earth. Some of these maps are also highly accurate resemblances to the real life locations. So with the idea of yours (no offense, its nothing personal, just a great example of exactly what I meant in my previous post) the map would just be real in any sort of ways.

Of course there are people around who will say screw history and realism, lets have a cake and a fun map. FH2 has proven that historically accurate maps can and ARE fun. Not only do they create immersion and grab you in the moment you are loaded (minus Aberdeen, Bardia...) but with realistic enviroments and locations, players can actually have an idea what these places are like in real life and how they were in the 40's. That is why I love FH2's map design and dedication to historical accuracy because they can also educate people on a some degree.

Again, someone can and will most likely say to me "ok so what finnish map would you want then mr goodie-two-shoes when our ideas arent pleasing you?", thank god I have been diving in and out the battles of summer -44 so much I can name a whole release-worth of battles and map ideas.  :P

Old timers of this community can just guess which battles I would throw on the desk.

Peace out!  :)

EDIT: Finnish Sturm's didnt fight against IS-2's. Sorry. IS-2's were _very_ rare on the finnish fronts.

EDIT #2: Please notice that this isnt a bitch message towards Paavopesusieni, nor anyone else.
« Last Edit: 08-04-2009, 16:04:15 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #28 on: 08-04-2009, 16:04:43 »
Ok Flippy.  Hypothetical situation here: You can have 2 maps featuring Finland.  Any of the 3 wars, all equipment available in the battles will be made.  What 2 battles would you pick, making sure there is some variety, and why?
« Last Edit: 08-04-2009, 16:04:27 by Eat Uranium »

Offline Thamu

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08-04-2009, 16:04:33 »
Monte Castello
Battle of Rome
Carentan (Like Mersa Matruth,a big desert,and a huge city)
Omaha Beach
Operation Husky (airbone assault)