Author Topic: Niebler's Tips and Tricks  (Read 4401 times)

Offline Niebler

• View Profile
    • 130th Panzer Lehr Division
Niebler's Tips and Tricks
« on: 07-04-2009, 02:04:51 »
Hey all :P

Thought I'd post some things that aren't that well known, or little tricks of the trade. Of course there are some I may keep secret, but we'll see :P

S.Mines (4.6.09)

S.Mines, a very daunting tool that is underestimated and underused by a lot of players, mainly because of it's high chance of TKing a friendly, here are some tips I've come up with when placing S.Mines.

Note: S.Mines have a 3-5 second 'delay' before they become active, enough to get out of range, but also for enemies to get past them if you're placing them too close to the front lines.

-S.Mines can be placed anywhere, they have a downward arc when dropped, but they stick to anything save for vehicles. A trick I like to do is to place s.mines around corners in the wall themselves. Go prone and start the 'digging' process, and immediatly stand up. Aim at where in the wall you'll want it to be, and it should place itself in the wall. Good for tricking enemies that know how to avoid or spot S.Mines. It can also be used to trigger at varying heights, to be able to go off when walked by prone, etc. Be careful though, if placed on or too close to certain walls, the S.Mine can be triggered by the opposite side of the wall, which I've noticed happen in public games many times, sucessfully making your S.Mine useless.

-They have an invisible tripwire, Crawings (Prone) over S.Mines allows you to safely avoid them, good if you're trying to sneak into a defended area.

(My favorite S.Mine secret) -Not only can S.Mines be placed in doorwars, ceilings even (with practice), and walls, but they can be placed in bushes, and underneath rocks. They perfectly nuzzle underneath undergrowth rocks (not static rocks), and are invisible to players walking nearby. As soon as they walk near by or on the rock, kaboom! Perfect for defending open areas where normally placed S.Mines would be easy to spot and avoided. Also, small static objects in rubble and in urban environments, such as buckets, small boxes, or other things that have no collision, the objects can be placed under for quite a successful booby-trap.

-S.Mines can destroy light vehicles. Similar to a AT Mine, S.Mines placed on a road can kill any truck or jeep. I'm not too entirely sure about APCs however.

-A key rule, and most frustrating problem most booby-trappers must deal with is TKs. Its best to lay S.Mines either in a defensive location where only you yourself are defending, where you know no team mate will traverse, but of course someone will eventually spawn and if arent paying attention usually hit your S.Mine.
   -Place them in key locations, such as highly traversed enemy routes that you know your team mates wont take before the enemy does.
   -Use them as sabotage, sneak into the enemy rear lines (not their main base, most servers do not allow this) and place S.Mines underneath the tire of enemy light vehicles, so when they take off, mafia style car bomb. Also place them around their base, make sure however, its not at the flag your team mates are attacking, if they dont get hit then, your team mates will probably activate them after they take the flag.

-S.Mines can be removed by enemy engineers! Pioneers and engineers! Remember this! Another great use for the role for pioneers is to advance with your troops, and if you're either by yourself or playing somewhat organized, if S.Mines are halting your advance, remove them with your wrench. Or at least place a flag in the area they are so teammates think twice. Also, that metal detector can be useful for detecting enemy S.Mines in tricky locations, so don't forget to use it now and then.

-Sniper? Don't want the enemy to steal your kit if you get killed? Booby-trap your helmet! If you're on a somewhat flat ground, and are prone, lay an S.Mine directly under you. If you're on the same plane as it, and stay prone, you shouldn't activate the mine at all. If you want to leave, simply crawl out of range then get up and leave. That way, if you are shot and killed, if the enemy comes to your body to retrieve your fallen sniper rifle, they will pick it up with a lovely click in their ears.

That's all for now, lots to read I know, but I'm just helping to shame my knowledge and show the depth that FH2 really has to offer. If people are interested, I might make small thumbnail images for each concept for current and future tips, to further help illustrate my guides.

See you on the battlefield! :)

Niebler

« Last Edit: 07-04-2009, 02:04:12 by Niebler »
Sig editted (oversize)

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
Re: Niebler's Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: 07-04-2009, 02:04:18 »
Very nice Nibbles!
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-04-2009, 03:04:40 »
and I thought I was the only one who mines himself when he has the sniper rifle and thinks he has been spotted.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07-04-2009, 11:04:50 »
nice tips but i think this is impractical because you would very likely get blew up before even pulling out that stuff.

that metal detector can be useful for detecting enemy S.Mines in tricky locations

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-04-2009, 11:04:58 »
i dont s-mine myself, i rather cover my rear with them so i can concentrate on shooting people and dont have to worry about getting stabbed (yeah i m looking at you caeno :P

another useful tactic with s-mines in denial of assets. s-mine enemy mortars/flak/AT-guns or just tanks so people blow up when they try to enter these assets or dont use them because they fear getting blown up.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-04-2009, 12:04:15 »
Another S-mine Trick:  If you place S-mines on stairs, people cannot crawl over them.  If they try crawling up or down the stairs, the mine will still go off and turn them into chunky red goo.

This is also a warning: if you are mining yourself into a building or something, don't mine the stairs or you will trap yourself.  Unless you don't mind hopping out a window for freedom.

Also works for ladders.  If someone uses the ladder, they can't go prone quick enough when they get off the ladder and will tip the mine.

another useful tactic with s-mines in denial of assets. s-mine enemy mortars/flak/AT-guns or just tanks so people blow up when they try to enter these assets or dont use them because they fear getting blown up.

An addendum to that:  You can mine pickup kits like grappling hooks, snipers and MGs (especially Lafettes) to prevent people from using them.

Offline bosco

• View Profile
    • Project Reality
« Reply #6 on: 07-04-2009, 15:04:09 »
How long do the S-mines stay active after the one who had placed them dies`?

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-04-2009, 16:04:19 »
i think 1-2 minutes, should be same times as AT-mines do, and same times  as the kit stays in world before it disappears
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline bosco

• View Profile
    • Project Reality
« Reply #8 on: 07-04-2009, 20:04:14 »
Ok, thanks.

Offline Kildar

• Have a nice day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07-04-2009, 20:04:46 »
"-S.Mines can destroy light vehicles. Similar to a AT Mine, S.Mines placed on a road can kill any truck or jeep. I'm not too entirely sure about APCs however."

It takes two smines going off at about the same time to kill a Kubel Wagon, one to kill a Willy, Hannimags are invincible to an extent [I have blown them up before, it just takes special circumstances that are impossible to reproduce I think], I think you can kill people out of the Universal Carrier. Blitzs and the OYD take one smine to kill.

Smines tend to stay active as long as the kit that deployed it is still active, so about 30 or so seconds after death.
« Last Edit: 07-04-2009, 20:04:23 by Kildar »

Offline Niebler

• View Profile
    • 130th Panzer Lehr Division
« Reply #10 on: 07-04-2009, 22:04:00 »
Yeah they last until your kit despawns. You can also pick up your kit if you're fast enough. I do thAt with engineer kits. It's funny if an enemy takes your kit and ends up tking himself and squadmates hehe
Sig editted (oversize)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16-04-2009, 00:04:10 »
Also, that metal detector can be useful for detecting enemy S.Mines in tricky locations, so don't forget to use it now and then.

This might be considered OT, but I still haven't figured out how to use the metal detector properly.  :-[ Can anyone tell me?

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16-04-2009, 00:04:57 »
Actually I can't remember to have ever seen someone seriously using that thing.

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #13 on: 16-04-2009, 01:04:33 »
The only times i use the mine detector is when riding in transports with other infantry headbanging lol.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16-04-2009, 01:04:53 »
The only times i use the mine detector is when riding in transports with other infantry headbanging lol.

Right, I forgot that one...