Author Topic: Universal Carriers (and other APCs)  (Read 4351 times)

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
Re: Universal Carriers (and other APCs)
« Reply #15 on: 08-04-2009, 22:04:19 »
What about making some zones where rifle fire does damage and zones where it dosent ? I mean, if you hit the engine with a boys rifle it might burst into flames, but if you hit the passangers compartment in the rear the round should go right through without doing any damage to the functionality of the halftruck. Maybe handle it like on panzers, where side hits dont do damage but hits in the rear do, just all way round.

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08-04-2009, 23:04:53 »
What about making some zones where rifle fire does damage and zones where it dosent ? I mean, if you hit the engine with a boys rifle it might burst into flames, but if you hit the passangers compartment in the rear the round should go right through without doing any damage to the functionality of the halftruck. Maybe handle it like on panzers, where side hits dont do damage but hits in the rear do, just all way round.
But in reality a hit like that would have a pretty good chance of taking a passenger or two, something I'm guessing can't be coded into the BF2 engine, so just having it damage the whole halftrack seems like a pretty good compromise.

I also like the idea of them being mobile spawn points in the desert maps at least, so long as their numbers are cut down to only a few per map, and as Dukat suggested if you only let SLs spawn on it or if people can only spawn there if someone is in it it doesn't seem like it would be that overpowered.

The other thing that could be done is also just make trucks a lot more vulnerable to small arms fire, because right now its useless to shoot at even a completely unarmored vehicle with anything smaller than a HMG which frustrates me.

Offline Anlushac11

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09-04-2009, 07:04:37 »
Pffft...A/T rifle.  When you really want to reach out and touch someone... :D
http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/tanks/d/utl/gb/02731.jpg

BTW interesting picture of German Universal carrier

http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/tanks/d/utl/gb/02735.jpg
"And will you continue, until there are no more Narns, and no more Centauri? If both sides are dead, no one will care which side deserves the blame. It no longer matters who started it, G'Kar. It only matters who is suffering" - Ambassador Kosh Naranek

Offline altfuture

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09-04-2009, 13:04:23 »
I was asking myself the same thing. That would be the most optimum solution imo.
BRAINFORCE squad

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09-04-2009, 14:04:20 »
But i think the best way to change this is to remove the AT rifle from the tank hunter kit and just give him explosives and smoke grenades. In some maps the gebalte ladung could be changed perhaps to mines with a fuse. Another good idea would be one kit to have gebalte ladung/sticky bombs (with smoke nades) and another kit with mines with fuses (and smoke nades) With this you could choose a variable kit load out, similar to the ability in bf 2 with changing your primary weapons. The mines could also be used differently, instead of sticking them under the ground, you could just trow them under the tracks of tanks, like in bf2 vanilla.

Actually I thought about something similar, especially as we now do come to maps taking place in the later war period.
A tank hunter kit with smokes would work, plus Geballte Ladung-grenades.
I also wanted to propose the ability of mines which can be thrown with a time fuse.
Can't you somehow code that the ammo of two weapon slots are connected? Then you could make, lets say, key 5 for AT-mines that you can bury in the soil as usual, and on 6 the same AT-mines model, but with other animations, that you can throw two or three meters and which does explode after time. (Thinking about it, even one you can throw without a time fuse would be useful, but this one should be on top of the floor then, as opposed to having just a little tiny bit of the fuse sticking out as usual).

Offline altfuture

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09-04-2009, 14:04:14 »
(Thinking about it, even one you can throw without a time fuse would be useful, but this one should be on top of the floor then, as opposed to having just a little tiny bit of the fuse sticking out as usual).
This sounds feasable to me.

For a bonus of faster mine deployment you get a penalty of the mine being easy to notice.
BRAINFORCE squad

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #21 on: 09-04-2009, 15:04:19 »
Can't you somehow code that the ammo of two weapon slots are connected?
Yes you can.  There is a javelin missile launcher someone made that has 2 weapons sharing the same ammo (one is direct fire, the other is top attack).  I quite like the idea of tankhunters.  The brit one would use the satchel charges, and the german one would use throwable time fuse tellermines (that could also be dug in).

Offline tanked

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11-04-2009, 13:04:07 »
Pffft...A/T rifle.  When you really want to reach out and touch someone... :D
http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/tanks/d/utl/gb/02731.jpg

BTW interesting picture of German Universal carrier

http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/tanks/d/utl/gb/02735.jpg

I always find it funny when I see Germans and other armies in Universal Carriers... I've always thought of UCs as a quirky little British vehicle.  :)