Author Topic: Panzergrenadiers...  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
Re: Panzergrenadiers...
« Reply #15 on: 05-04-2009, 22:04:27 »
or those...

Oh wow that's amazing! Just became my new favorite picture of the week...

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline CBC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05-04-2009, 22:04:17 »
Panzergrenadiers are pretty much mechanized infantry.
much like today's US 1st Calvary, and 4th Infantry. I think Germany still have Panzergrenadier units today.

they are more mobile than regular infantry. In WWII, they use the half-tracks. now they use the IFVs and APCs

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06-04-2009, 03:04:43 »
Yes, they still do.

And clans pick it because of elite status.  Panzergrenaidier units were, combat wise, the equal of the US marines.  They were the ones who got picked to be sent to the hot spots in combat, and could be counted on to win, or hold out.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06-04-2009, 03:04:15 »
Although they often didn't have their transports and had to use captured trucks or even bicycles...

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06-04-2009, 04:04:15 »
Bikes are seperate.  Bike units were issued bikes for recon duties, and were rather common, especially in normandy.  IN the 21st Panzer reenactment group here, we do technically have a full bike mounted squad (I got one in fact), but its rarely out fully.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06-04-2009, 04:04:46 »
I think some PGs of the Goetz von Berlichingen Division (known from BoB) were bicycle-mounted because of lack of transport.

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06-04-2009, 04:04:53 »
(I guess one of the main reason people pick that word as clan-name is because it sounds so cool. It combines "Panzer" and "Grenadier", words that must sound awesome for a non-German speaker :D)

Homer, all German words sound cool/angry to English speakers.

Examples:

Example: Hundejunge
I think:Heavily armed zeppelin.
Reality:Puppies

Example:Blumenbeet
I think: Some sort of train mounted nebelwerfer
Reality:Flower Bed
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06-04-2009, 04:04:51 »
Nobody says "Hundejunge", "Welpe" is the usual word.

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06-04-2009, 04:04:56 »
But welpe did make me think of dogs, which is too similar too puppies, and I was to lazy to find another word besides puppies, so I used Hundejunge. (I wish I knew German, it is such a cool language.)
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

[11PzG]matyast

« Reply #24 on: 06-04-2009, 09:04:30 »
11PzG is panzergrenadier because the previous clanleader had picked that name, and we have used it for the past 6 years.

I guess the appeal is with the mechanised infantry, being the tip of the attacks and having a good combat report.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06-04-2009, 13:04:10 »
Oh yeah, English speakers love German words :D
Like "poltergeist", "rucksack", "bratwurst", "kindergarten" etc.
It´s funny that the English language uses many words that sound either the same as their German counterparts or very similiar. But then, if you think about it, English is related to German because the Anglo-Saxons brought it to England when they conquered it. Later English and German developed in different ways and both were influenced by Romanic languages.
/historical excursus ^^
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #26 on: 06-04-2009, 13:04:57 »
Well, a large proportion of words in the english language are foreign load words (which explains some of the plain retarded spelling problems they have).  Latin, ancient greek, and french being the major contributers.  The oldest words are 'one', 'I', 'we' 'three', 'four' (at least I think so), and they date back thousands of years.

And german as a language does sound cool.  Not so much in a romantic sense, but its great for shouting - the opposite of french.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06-04-2009, 13:04:15 »
But welpe did make me think of dogs, which is too similar too puppies, and I was to lazy to find another word besides puppies, so I used Hundejunge. (I wish I knew German, it is such a cool language.)

Actually, when I hear "Hundejunge" I only and ONLY understand it as an insult. "Du Hundejunge!" as childrens version of something like "Du Hurensohn!", because of the similar beginning. That's the only use if have ever heard someone say it.

You englishspeaking guys seem to love it, however I feel strange when shouting/swearing in standard high german. I only feel like being home when doing in my dialect.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06-04-2009, 15:04:58 »
Wait, this should be in Off Topic.

*moves it*

Oh and AFAIK Dutch is actually closer related to English then German, that is there is more "Low Germanic" (Dutch, low German etc.) in ENglish then High German (which is the "official" German).

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06-04-2009, 16:04:24 »
Swedish is the greates language, hands down.

the english language even uses swedish words.
Smorgosbord (Smörgåsbord) and Ombudsman (Ombudsman)
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso