Author Topic: Your connection speed?  (Read 10337 times)

Offline Big Lebowski

• View Profile
Re: Your connection speed?
« Reply #30 on: 17-10-2009, 15:10:16 »

Offline Sturmbocke

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17-10-2009, 15:10:56 »
"If a Tiger appears, send out a troop of four Sherman to destroy the panzer and expect only one to come home"

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17-10-2009, 16:10:13 »

Not the slowest at least

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17-10-2009, 21:10:59 »

Would like to upgrade to 100/5, especially now since the cable company offers a set of pay channels for free until New Year if I upgrade before November.

Offline Polska

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17-10-2009, 23:10:25 »

Offline Moku

• Waaagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18-10-2009, 11:10:11 »

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20-10-2009, 02:10:26 »
My firewall doesn't like the upload part.  But my Download is 13.62Mb to New York, NY from Central NJ, with a ping of 24ms.  Somewhere around 50-75 miles?  I get that far before it gives me an error on the upload part.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02-09-2010, 15:09:00 »
Sorry for the revive. I just did mine and got this.

This is what my provider promises me:

Download: 25 Mb/s
Upload: 3,5Mb/s

So, i am getting only 10% of what they sold me. Can't i like sue them for theft? Becouse this is starting to really annoy me since i often get disconnects that last a few seconds and crappy ping for no reason that i can see.

How much is the difference between what was promised you and what you get in reality with you guys?

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #38 on: 02-09-2010, 15:09:12 »
Sometimes you can't handle the connection promised to you, I love in some godforsaken far away town so 50mb internet is out of the question for me, it's a miracle we got ADSL  ;D
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02-09-2010, 15:09:50 »
Sorry for the revive. I just did mine and got this.

This is what my provider promises me:

Download: 25 Mb/s
Upload: 3,5Mb/s

So, i am getting only 10% of what they sold me. Can't i like sue them for theft? Becouse this is starting to really annoy me since i often get disconnects that last a few seconds and crappy ping for no reason that i can see.

How much is the difference between what was promised you and what you get in reality with you guys?

Are you sure it isn't 25 Mbits instead of 25Megabyte. If it is 25 Mbits you connection is just fine.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02-09-2010, 15:09:19 »
Must be the bits, not bites. Still does not explain why my friend, that has exactly the same package as me has 4 times my upload speed and 5 times my download speed. He lives 2,5 km away from me.

Offline Laffey

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02-09-2010, 16:09:45 »

Suckish upload

FH2 nick= [BoF]RoflSeal
WoT nick= RoflSeal(aka BucketSeal by hslan and TS guys)

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 02-09-2010, 16:09:50 »

Must be the bits, not bites. Still does not explain why my friend, that has exactly the same package as me has 4 times my upload speed and 5 times my download speed. He lives 2,5 km away from me.

just call your ISP hotline and ask them
they can usually figure out if something is wrong (which could be)
or you are simply to far away from the next bigger connection point so the signal dampening kills your speed (2,5km can be enough for that)

seriously call your ISP and ask them i dont know yours but service on mine is usually good but i dont really have any problems. i can see the next connection point when looking out of the windows so i get 99% of what i was promised.
« Last Edit: 02-09-2010, 16:09:28 by Die Happy »
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 02-09-2010, 16:09:28 »

He can't if you are sure you both got 25 Megabit ADSL. To make it easy for you just divide your ISP promised connection speed by ten to know how many Megabytes per second you can download.
1 byte = 8 bits.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 02-09-2010, 17:09:10 »

Awful. Despite being on an 8Mb/s subscription plan the area I live in is capped at 3.5Mb/s.

The annoying thing is, if I lived on the other side of the railway line I'd have absolutely no restrictions on the speed I'd be able to get. Fail.