Author Topic: Singleplayer in Forgotten Hope 2  (Read 93036 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Singleplayer in Forgotten Hope 2
« Reply #15 on: 10-10-2009, 20:10:55 »
Yer, I know exactly what you mean... The Americans cant make it past that open area with the stream, Germans, many armed with G43 come blasting across...

But don't forget that it was pretty much the same thing in FH1's PHL, riight after the PAK/ MG base after the farm, And this one actually has it easier to succeed becuase bots don't snipe.

Basically, there are three possibilities... The toughest being the most fun - Forget advancing across the left-most edge of the stream where the main force is advancing - you will be playing a game of luck

Option A:
FH1 style... the rightmost - Swim, across the right edge of the stream where those defense bocage-sand wall thingies make it harder for Jerry to hit you before you get close to the stream, swim across, take out any infatry who may have seen you and will surely be heading your way... Move quikcly towards the houses, being on guard for squads of infantry coming down that side - Luck required: 40 - 60%

Option B:
The road - Toughest but most fun way... This one gets your entire force into the frey. Move down the road to the left of the stream, taking cover and letting your squad do the bulk of the fighting, staying out of range of tomoato mashers and keeping clear of one-time rifle-nade hits, take cove,r move on up until you get to the flag... Luck required: 30 -40%

Option C:
Sneak around the left side of the road, round the bocage-sand defenses... You might be lucky to get a few other soldiers, maybe even squad mates. Cap the flag, being on guard of single infantry who might spot you.
Luck required: 10 - 30%

It sure is one tough level and the bots really shine in that one, save for their lack of defense of the first two bases, inability to climb most house stairs and no use for artillery - But there are paled in comparison to the intense firefight Probably, my American-favorite map in 2.2

Keep up the good work WinterHilf... Can barely test the maps for now with my rig out of commision - But from the little low-frame-rate seconds I experienced it, I did the note the Germans attacking the cliffs more viciously. I do hope both sides get to use MGs more agressively, bots will be able to move up and downstairs in buildings and the Flakvierling gets to see some action

« Last Edit: 10-10-2009, 20:10:04 by djinn »

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11-10-2009, 12:10:26 »
...getting the last two flags is murder...
Yeah, you're not wrong! I tried it with 49 bots (25v25) on max difficulty.

(To prevent this thread becoming a mess of posts about various maps I've moved the rest of this post to a new topic-cannonfodder)
« Last Edit: 11-10-2009, 14:10:07 by cannonfodder »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11-10-2009, 20:10:07 »
Hey, can Singleplayer be made a bit more unique... Currently, it is simply COOP without its felxibilities and with only 16bots

Can bots be changed to 48 as is found in COOP for one
And can their ratio for each map be modified so that it plays balanced as well as true to that battle eg. In Tobruk, the Brits should be less (As an equal number, they will always win), same goes for Sfakia and maybe, Crete

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13-10-2009, 08:10:52 »
...and with only 16bots...
So you're not familiar with modifying your aidefault file to get more bots in SP?

Go into 'C:\Program Files\EA\Battlefield 2\mods\fh2\ai' and open aidefault with Notepad.

Modify it so it looks like this:
Code: [Select]
echo *****************************************************************************************
echo AIDefault.ai ****************************************************************************
echo *****************************************************************************************
aiSettings.setNSides 2
aiSettings.setAutoSpawnBots 1
aiSettings.overrideMenuSettings 1
aiSettings.setMaxNBots 49
aiSettings.maxBotsIncludeHumans 0
aiSettings.setBotSkill 1.0
run BotNames.ai
aiSettings.setInformationGridDimension 48
run AIPathFinding.ai
rem EOF

This line: aiSettings.setMaxNBots XX ...sets the total number of bots

This line: aiSettings.setBotSkill X.X ...sets the difficulty level (0.1=easiest/1.0=hardest)

But increasing the number of bots/difficulty uses more CPU grunt...
My PC is almost a Pentium III so it runs Fh2 painfully.
... :o I'm amazed you can run it at all!

I'm not too sure how you'd unbalance the teams in SP. I think it involves modifying one of the lines in the 'ServerSettings' file.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13-10-2009, 09:10:47 »
No, no, I'm talking about by default.. ie. By default SP bots should be 48 (A fair number, I think, which goes well with the game's graphics)..

Bot numbers in COOP can be alrtered by the player, but what I'm saying is, by default, bot ratio in Sp should be as close  to real life ratios as possible without upsetting the balance - Like I said, bots in sfakia have to be more:less in favor of Jerry otherwise it wont ever be a fair fight

I'm sure I can figure out how to change numbers - thanks for the code, I will definitely make use of it when I get my rig back up and running, but I'm not sure we should force every other player who wants to just start a firefight to have to tweak settings first

And yer... I have an equivalent of an early P4 with 1GB RAM! At lowest possible settings, FH2 is almost unplayable! Heck, FH1 slows down when I approach a town, have alot of bots around me or am in the midst of alot of explosions... Basically, once the game gets interesting :-) .. oh, but my rig is way better, just on fritz @ this point in time.. maybe till December :-/
« Last Edit: 13-10-2009, 09:10:10 by djinn »

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13-10-2009, 15:10:02 »
Ah, sorry my bad. :)

I agree, 16 bots on 64-size maps is pretty crap.

Although rather than having it stuck at 48, putting in a slider that goes up to 48 would be better. After all, 48 bots on a 16-size map, would be pretty hectic. And not everyone has a system that can run that many bots (me for example :().

Project Reality have a good setup for SP, they have a screen where you can set the number of bots (48 max.) and alter the bot ratio. It's similar to the one used for setting up Coop games.

+1 for the different bot ratios too.

On Sfakia 64, a large part of the problem is bots spawning and instantly dying at the spawnpoint on the hill south of the British R.Guard flag. At one point I saw 6 bodies on the ground. I've also seen a bunch of bots plunge lemming-like off the steep part of the cliff next to that flag as well.
« Last Edit: 13-10-2009, 15:10:46 by cannonfodder »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13-10-2009, 17:10:28 »
I completely agree.. If its possible, there should certainly be a slider... OR, somehow have each map have the number of bots that work... ie. A 16-size maps should have 16, a 32-size map, 32 etc, etc (But I doubt its possible)

And please don't forget the ratio... We can't have BF42's campaign, sure, but we can at least have it setup right :-)

EDIT: Further tests on PDH - 2 things:

1/ American bots get stuck against two upright sticks lined against a wall @ the farm  - Right next to the direct path leading to the last base (Just before the blown out Civi truck) (i.e the next to last base)
2/ No one spawns in houses no more, huh? :-( And no house SL spawning or fighting in houses either
3/ No flame thrower or French guns once last base is left to cap

« Last Edit: 13-10-2009, 23:10:44 by djinn »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15-10-2009, 07:10:39 »
Any new maps to test, WinterHilf?

Offline winterhilf

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17-10-2009, 16:10:51 »
Could you doublecheck this please?
PHL with the sp gamemode.
http://rapidshare.com/files/294238098/purple_heart_lane_sp.zip

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18-10-2009, 01:10:53 »
Not a problem... :-)

Just give me till weekends ending and I will have an essay sized feedback for ya ;-)

BTW, I know you aren't there yet, but since these will likely be the stock for the respective maps' AI, a bit of feedback on some non-official map AI:

Fall of Tobruk - Simple issues, tommy doesn't use AT guns, Jerry doesn't respawn @ main base so tanks get only one go, some Jerries get stuck @ static tank debris just in view of first base (The one interfacing with a nearby wall) - Solid AI here btw... really good

Gazala - No AI for strip between base 1 (Tommy main base) and base 4 (Base directly between Tommy and Jerry main bases), more work on Hurricane AT plane so that it can hit tanks and still use 2ndary weapon for infantry, code for Tommy mg tripod

Sidi Rezegh - Stop Tommy attacking Jerry's main base after capping all flags, let all bots camp 88 gun, AT guns and mg positions... Might wanna check the code for that new DDay map I spoke about earlier (in mapping section), if possible, code the apartment base and if confident about pathmapping in that area, have flag cap underground... Might want to add Jerry counter-attack tanks since they find it impossible to counter-attack with such heavy Tommy tanks... Include use of AT bomb for Jerry and skip the use of landmines

Bardia - have bots encamp on stationary weapons

Alam Halfa - stronger pathmapping and tank AI so that battle proceeds faster to avoid Jerry armour loss, camp stationary weapons
* Tried this map last night and was impressed with the strafing capabilities of the German Me109... got killed with it twice and had to take cover other times, it came back and forth, back and forth with HE when I when I was on stationary guns, and with mg when I wasn't ... Was smiling even when it cut me down with 7.6 mm bullets :-)

In general, please improve use of Allied aircraft handling for bots... and Stu... ok, why whip a dead horse

Trust me, let bots camp stationary vehicles.. there are enough bots fighting to make up for those stationary...and it divides the battlefield into hard points, which is more fun than a continuous firefight.. which is the best case scenario currently

hopeful: Pathmap buildings... if possible, churches too

EDIT
BTW, tried the map once and capped all the way ujp to the next to last flag... What Ai changes were made to the map? What should we be looking for?

« Last Edit: 18-10-2009, 09:10:32 by djinn »

Offline winterhilf

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18-10-2009, 13:10:35 »
Just needed to know whether the gamemode worked or not, thanks.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18-10-2009, 15:10:56 »
Game modes work alright... Never did try singleplayer for this map - Always COOP, but Sp certainly works now...

I should add, not for just this map, but certaily inclusive, when the bots man AT and mgs, including the 88, especially when facing a target rich environment, you often get this situation where they fire in bursts or in single rounds followed by a pause... however, during this pause, you can still hear the guns firing... you get 2 88 shots between reloads although the gun isn't firing @ those times, you hear an endless mg34 burst when the hanomag is is thick combat although its only firing intermittently, and you have the 2pdr in Seige of Tobruk firing fewer shots than the sound claims it is... Didn't note this error until 2.15, when hanomag mgs actually worked, and bots used the 2pdr more readily...

BTW, bots still don't spawn at the first 2 German bases and don't use mg34s in that area, even when commanded to move right next to it... Only mgs in use throughout the map are the lafette mg42 and the mg34 defending the last base - 88 base is actually pretty deserted too unless American advance stalls

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18-10-2009, 16:10:20 »
Yeah, 16/32/64 sizes all showing in the menu.

Gave 64 a go (only 32 bots though), went pretty well. Most of the action was on the road leading to Crossroads, I couldn't cap the last two flags. The bots were using the Lafette (near Nebelwerfer) to great effect and at one point I saw a US bot man the stationary MG at Summers.

BTW I like the ticket count, but I have to try it with more bots because I won 494-0.

I'll try the 16 and 32 tomorrow.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19-10-2009, 07:10:16 »
Another addition to the general AI changes - With the scout plane working as a mobile commander vehicle now, I really think bots should learn to fly that thing way higher... they make too easy AA targets - I wouldn't trust my life with a bot piloting one of those things now...

Wven as simple intel, it helps if they flew higher and lasted longer... It should be another plane that acts as its greatest threat

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19-10-2009, 13:10:20 »
Well tried PHL 16/32/64 on SP, it works pretty well, and similar to the coop ones, just a bit different bot behavior. The German bots no longer stayed around the town, but actively attacked its surroundings.

The 64 (played 4 rounds, 3 yanks, 1 jerry) is almost the same, the first Jerry posts aren't manned. And the real fight started after bridge no. 4.
The 32 (played 2 round, 1 jerry, 1 yank)  is more intense, however no real difficulties crossing the river by swimming as the bots are busy lobbing grenades at crossroads.
The 16 (played 4 round 2 yank, 2 jerry) is fun, the bots are very creative, randomly seeking new ways to outflank us if we camp for too long on certain spawn-raping positions. They no longer take the same route. It is still pretty easy pwning them all from higher spots, since their riflenade aim isn't accurate and somehow their fire isn't much more accurate either. But short MG burst from the bots finished my pwnage anyway.

And yeah... the buildings could present a very interesting fight, the bots only enter it whenever i camp inside and expose myself. Seems like haven't been path-mapped. Most of the time they fail because after getting into the door or climbing the stair, they got easily disoriented for a period of time that is enough for me to attach bayonet and thrust them.