Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 2110448 times)

Offline Invincible

• Armyyyyarrrrrr!
    • View Profile
    • Javelin Photos
Re: Picture of the Day
« Reply #2055 on: 17-01-2010, 02:01:27 »
Johnson rifle....wish I could get my hands on one of them.. ::)
I find it interesting that they where already used in 1941. Thought they weren't in production yet.
Jap's probably got there hands on them. Good thing they didn't study to make a semi-auto rifle :)

Edit: I don't think they made any good rifles at all, ever....
"If I advance, follow me. If I stop, urge me on. If I retreat, kill me."

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: 17-01-2010, 04:01:15 »
Inside a Tiger tank, gunner working place  :P

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: 17-01-2010, 04:01:30 »
I find it interesting that they where already used in 1941. Thought they weren't in production yet.
Jap's probably got there hands on them. Good thing they didn't study to make a semi-auto rifle :)

About the johnson rifle...
"The Johnson M1941, seriously considered by the US Marines as a solution to the early shortages of the M1

A US Marine Corps officer, Captain M M Johnson, had an idea for a different kind of rifle.  Like the M1, it was self loading and fired the standard .30 cal round, but unlike the Garand it used a short-recoil operation.  Roughly speaking, this used the recoil of firing to move the barrel back a fraction to rotate and unlock the bolt.  A return spring undertook the normal action of reloading the chamber one the spent casing had been ejected.  It was a novel idea; it was also very complex, never a good sales pitch for a service rifle.

When the US rejected his design, Johnson sold it to Holland, who were promptly invaded by the Nazis, thus curtailing the market somewhat.  Meanwhile, his Marine Corps was expanding and found itself seemingly behind the National Guard in the queue for new M1s.  They bought the few thousand Johnson M1941s already produced and issued them for testing, seemingly restricted to their Raider and Parachute elements.  It was neither an outstanding success, nor a total failure.  The Johnson held two more rounds than the Garand and thanks to its unusual magazine could be 'topped up' with single bullets or a five round clip.  But once American industry kicked in there were M1s to spare and the few Johnson rifles were withdrawn.  A Johnson light machine gun also existed, with a 20 round side loading box.  The Marines tried this weapon too and it also saw use with the Special Service Force in Italy."  
 - http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Weapons/semiautomatic/semi_automatic.htm

Yeah, the US never mass produced them or used them as a standard issue weapon...so pretty much they are scarce here...and I'd love to have one in a collection. Plus they look pretty nice... and yeah...Japs wern't known too much for thier weaponry.. :o

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: 17-01-2010, 04:01:37 »

Personally, I think the Type99 was a competent weapon, and they actually tried to copy the M1 Garand but never finished (still in testing when war ended. Really I think all Japanese weaponry that was put was generally competent weapons. not the best, but they do what's necessary

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: 17-01-2010, 04:01:05 »

Personally, I think the Type99 was a competent weapon, and they actually tried to copy the M1 Garand but never finished (still in testing when war ended. Really I think all Japanese weaponry that was put was generally competent weapons. not the best, but they do what's necessary
wasn't the type 99 just an improvement of the type 96, by adding bigger rounds, larger mags, and some other minor improvements? Still don't think it's a very good gun, but all guns do their job I suppose.

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: 17-01-2010, 07:01:39 »

wasn't the type 99 just an improvement of the type 96, by adding bigger rounds, larger mags, and some other minor improvements? Still don't think it's a very good gun, but all guns do their job I suppose.
Type 99 rifle (improved over the Type38 iirc) notType99 LMG And yes that's basically what it did, but that's because they switched round size to get punching power closer to a K98. Also, most of there base weapons (Type 99LMG/Type99rifle) used the same ammo after this, so there was a good reason behind it. Also they were quality weapons that did their job (until later in the war) and performed well. Then again, maybe I'm advocating Japanese weaponry because I happen to like Japan a lot, and I think that their accomplishments in their time in the sun was amazing, seeing from what they started from.

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: 17-01-2010, 07:01:23 »
Yeah... whatever, i'm still not a huge fan of their weaponry, I mean they can't even name they... it's just like Type.. #, type #... yeah.. so creative.

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: 17-01-2010, 07:01:57 »
Hey, until the british named all our tanks for us (Thanks for that, though you guys chose some bad names.) we called them M3 Light Tank, M3 Medium Tank, M4 Medium Tank, etc.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: 17-01-2010, 07:01:35 »
...try Shermans? Stuarts? Priests, Grants....

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: 17-01-2010, 07:01:47 »
Yeah... whatever, i'm still not a huge fan of their weaponry, I mean they can't even name they... it's just like Type.. #, type #... yeah.. so creative.
   who cares what its called? most weapons from the U.S. are M#A# and then the creators name possibly(or just the creators name), and the same is generally true with other nations too eg.British L85, G3, AK47, and so on
« Last Edit: 17-01-2010, 07:01:00 by Desertfox »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: 17-01-2010, 08:01:12 »
   who cares what its called? most weapons from the U.S. are M#A# and then the creators name possibly(or just the creators name), and the same is generally true with other nations too eg.British L85, G3, AK47, and so on

Agreed.

Probably, my Favorite General of WW2.

Greim was invited by Hermann Göring in 1933 to help rebuild the German Air Force and in 1934 was nominated for the command of the first school of fighter pilots. In 1938 he assumed command of the department of research techniques in the Luftwaffe. Greim would be involved in the Battle of Britain, and Operation Barbarossa. Hitler awarded Greim with the Knights Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords, which made him the most highly decorated pilot in the two World Wars. When the Soviet forces had reached Berlin and the Reich was all but doomed, Greim tried to convince Hitler to flee Berlin with him. Hitler refused but promoted Greim to Generalfeldmarschall, making him the last German officer to achieve the rank of Field Marshal. Hitler also made Greim head of the Luftwaffe, dismissing Göring for treason. Wounded from his landing in Berlin, Greim was still able to leave the city and was later captured by American soldiers on the day of the surrender of the Third Reich. Greim, however was to be part of a Soviet-American prisoner exchange program and fearing execution, and torture at the hands of the Soviets committed suicide on May 24, 1945. His final words before taking potassium cyanide were: "I am the head of the Luftwaffe but I have no Luftwaffe."

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: 17-01-2010, 08:01:46 »
...try Shermans? Stuarts? Priests, Grants....

I know the British named the M3 medium Grant/Lee based on whether the secondary turret had a 37mm or 30cal, and the Priest was named by the british because the 50cal position reminded them of a pulpit. I'm not sure when we picked up the habit, but I seem to remember that the Sherman and Stuart were also named by the British. The civil war was heavily studied in british military colleges as the last great example of cavalry tactics pre ww2, iirc, and so the officers were well known. Grant was the Commander of the union army at the end of the war, Lee the competent and beloved head of the confederate army throughout the war, Sherman was the union general famous for inventing the concept of total war and for decimating the south in his march to the sea (and for giving trees neckties), and Jeb Stuart was a confederate cavalry general.

We named vehicles after later generals, even though most of the good civil war generals were unclaimed and the British chose mediocre generals to name tanks with (Jackson and Lee being the exceptions.) They never named a tank after Hancock (the Superb) or Chamberlain!(he's the guy with the blond walrus mustache) Chamberlain is a certifiable badass; he received theological training; went to Bowdoin college and ended up teaching every non-math or science course, took a two year break to join the Union Army, with no training became a lt.-colonel (he could have been a full one but he declined it), rose to the rank or Major-General before the war ended, won the medal of honor for fighting until his regiment had nothing left to shoot and then leading a bayonet charge against superior forces, left the army to become Governor of Maine for 4 terms and then president of Bowdoin college.

On the other hand, Grant, who got a tank named after him, won battles with superior forces even while drunk, which was constantly. Sherman, who also got a tank named for him, pillaged, looted, and burned crops, while fending off smaller armies, in order to weaken the south.

Hancock got no tank named after him. He was also called "The Superb" and personally accepted the surrender of Robert E Lee.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: 17-01-2010, 08:01:09 »
Hancock, Chamberlain, Sedgewick, Ames, Reynolds, Thomas, Schofield, Slocum, Logan, "Baldy" Smith, Porter, McClellan (highly underrated, considering he never lost a battle, though he indeed lost the campaigns from his timidness.  He still was a brilliant tactical commander, just never grasped stratigic thinking....)

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: 17-01-2010, 08:01:32 »
And how About Bradley?

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile