Author Topic: The Great thread of Movies/Documentaries regarding WW1/WW2/Other conflicts  (Read 36596 times)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
So, instead of discussing different WW2 movies in the El Alamein: Line of Fire movie thread. I thought about what Flippy said and we should have thread only about WW2 and WW1 movies.

Rules:

1. Correct title of the movie, perfect would be the original title and also the English/International title of the movie.

2. Write something! Just saying a title of movie, a grade and nothing more is not OK.

3. Write something about the story/battle without spoiling for people who haven't seen the movie.

The purpose of this thread is that people can or search for a movie and even request, for an exeample:

- Hey, guys! El Alamein: Line of Fire from 2002, any good?

Bada Bing Bada Boom: El Alamein: Line of Fire, decent Italian production. A bit short but good acting, story and special effects. I really liked it. Is currently uploaded at YouTube.

I'll start, I'm looking for the movie about Hans-Joachim Marseille, haven't found it yet but is it watchable?
« Last Edit: 25-12-2010, 12:12:32 by Rawhide »

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
Re: The Great thread of WW2 Movies/Documentaries
« Reply #1 on: 16-09-2009, 13:09:25 »
I know of 1 movie about H-J Marseille and thats Der Stern von Afrika, very old movie. Black and white, haven't watched it myself but I hope it helps you in your search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZW1LsrfIyg
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19-09-2009, 20:09:02 »
A fairly new WW2 movie that I thought was good was Defiance. For you that havn't seen it yet it was about 3 Jewish brothers that evaded capture and Concentration Camps, etc.. by the Germans but lost everything, strive for revenge and eventually build an Army from free Jews which they pick up along the way.. it is a true story and very moving, full of action. There are a few good battle scenes and good scenery with correct weaponary which can sometimes be asking too much for some movies. I give it a 9/10!

Other good WW2 movies are The Longest Day, which is about D-Day and has perspective from the American, British, and German point of views, some intresting battle sequences of D-Day...

- Kelly's Heroes was a good movie to watch for entertainment purposes with no real event accuracy, although Oddball had some really nice tanks  ;)

- Return to Taranowa (sorry if Taranowa is spelt wrong, cause it might be, but i can't find the correct spelling) This movie is a documenty with a veteran who return to the Island in the pacific which he helped capture and explains his future plans for what he hopes to accomplish on the island, some parts can get depressing with all the disrespect, but there are some intresting facts and now then comparison shots..

- Saving Private Ryan Is always a classic that you can't go wrong with... another D-Day movie, with once again, accurate equiptment, good actors, nice fight sequences, and demonstration of soldier values.

- Band Of Brothers (BoB) Pretty much the same story line, as above, E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne.. their airborne landing from behind the lines on D-Day to Hitler's Eagle nest in Germany... some emotional sequences... good equiptment... ehhh, yeah, havn't seen all series yet, but what i have seen so far, I like very much.

- Memphis Bell (Sorry if that title is a little off) If you like air combat this is pretty good movie about a B-17 fighter group in WW2, watched long time ago, don't remeber much.

- Some other good aviation T.V. Series are Wings of the Luftwaffe and Dog fights..... there topics vary, they are documentries, and are obviously about Air Combat in WW2.

These are the ones I can think of right now..... I have seen many more but just not comming to me now.
« Last Edit: 19-09-2009, 20:09:06 by Oddball »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19-09-2009, 22:09:47 »
World At War

I recently started watching World At War documentary series again and even it is dated by now and is getting old, it still has its charm and it manages to keep you watching until you run out of episodes.

And even it is an old series it still shines as one of the finest "general" world war 2 documentaries like the brightest star, making itself noticeable in the middle of the mass. Like said, the series doesnt tangle to too much details, instead it flows forward and keeps it simple without making the viewing experience boring. World At War manages to capture the most essential and rather basic information of events, yet present them in a good manner. I've always liked how the series manages to keep it to the subjects without starting to repeat itself (at least not too much) and still have the opportunity to spice it up by remembering to mention usually forgotten things such as the scandinavia, china or other eastern front participants other than germans and russians.

I've always preferred World At War as a superior documentary series to others since it cuts the bullshit and gets down to the business quite fast and the episodes go by very easily. As a "basic and general knowledge" second world war documentary this series is one of the best by far. Of course, if you want to get down to something specific part of the war and specialize, then this series is not for you.

Especially good thing in this series is that it was made during the time when a lot of veterans and people who lived through the war were still alive, so there is a lot of interviews and stories of personal experiences of the war which spices it up very nicely. Only down side in the series is that these people who are interviewed have been spoken over, meaning that an english person talks on top of these people if they speak something else than english. Its the only thing I found mindly annoying. Other than that, I havent spotted that many errors either, meaning that there havent been conflicts between the information what the series gives and the information which I already knew. Of course, I can imagine that those who know the basic stuff already can find the series dreadful, but like I said already, if you want to specialize you want to and find other documentaries.

If there is someone who hasnt seen this classic series yet (I highly doubt. Shame on you if you havent seen it!) I highly recommend of watching it.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #4 on: 19-09-2009, 22:09:54 »
And World at War is uploaded at YouTube!

Anyone got some good tips of WW2 aviation movies/documentaries?

Just watched "The War Lover" with Steve McQueen as a B17 Pilot bombing the Reich in '43. Pretty good movie and McQueen is such a badass in this one.

"You think you are pretty though, don't you, Buzz?"

Buzz (McQueen): "Yes, yes I do"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056676/

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-09-2009, 23:09:35 »
Aviation Movies:

- Pearl Harbor
- Memphis Bell

Aviation Documentries:

- Wings of the Luftwaffe
- Dog Fights

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20-09-2009, 00:09:16 »
Battle of Britain is an aviation movie too. I guess Tora! Tora! Tora! would go to same category?

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #7 on: 20-09-2009, 00:09:50 »
Battle of Britain is an aviation movie too. I guess Tora! Tora! Tora! would go to same category?
Ah, yes. Have not seen Tora. Worth a watch you say?

Saw Battle of Britain a few weeks ago, good production but nothing I'll rewatch in the near future. Felt like one big movie about planes, planes and planes. A little bit more story would not kill the movie :(

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20-09-2009, 00:09:02 »
Its been a long while since I watched Tora! Tora! Tora! but as I remember it, it is worth a watch. I have to check it out too in the near future.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #9 on: 20-09-2009, 01:09:05 »
Its been a long while since I watched Tora! Tora! Tora! but as I remember it, it is worth a watch. I have to check it out too in the near future.
It's hard to watch the trailer and make a fair judgment. Especially with older movies.

"THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE! THE MOVIE TAGLINE IS: BEST MOVIE EVER! SO WE ARE SERIOUS!!!"

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20-09-2009, 02:09:34 »
Kelly's Heroes (Im PRETTY sure everyones seen this) Stars Clint Eastwood and is a pretty good film, a bit of fighting but overall a good film.

Kelly (I can't remember the rank) manages to capture a german intelligence officer and finds something in his bag. This isn't just anything. He finds a bar of gold and manages to pry the information out of the German officer of where the gold is. The gold is behind enemy lines and well guarded but Kelly grabs some men and makes for the bank its stored in! Find out how it goes!

Currently uploaded on youtube

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Fearbefore.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20-09-2009, 04:09:41 »
I can't speak Finnish very well, but I definitely enjoyed Tali Ihantala 1944.

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #12 on: 20-09-2009, 05:09:23 »
I have a couple of them good ol' WWII movies here.. I'll go over them and give a short feedback on them :)

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20-09-2009, 06:09:27 »
I think Tora Tora Tora is a great movie. Im pretty sure its very historical correct and documentaric, like The Longest Day. And its alot of cool real air fighting scenes, not the computer animated ones that usually are in newer movies.

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20-09-2009, 06:09:34 »
yeah, thats one thing you got to give older movies credit for, their accuracy and genuine combat footage.