Author Topic: Moving camera positions for tank destroyers in Co-op  (Read 653 times)

Offline mft004

• View Profile
EDIT:: I've re-named the thread and updated this post to provide the answer to all this - sorry yes this is some years after the original question, but for those following my path you may find the answer helpful. In brief, within the Co-op SP mode, I was struggling to alter the camera view of fixed-gun tank destroyers like the Jagdpanther, Hetzer etc. The issue I think is that those specific tanks were added to a list (perhaps within a .py file) instructing the game to force a setting override, using custom cameras for those vehicles when played in the Co-op SP mode. Assuming that you're like me and don't have the skills to edit such files, the solution then is to copy the files for the desired tank destroyer and rename the vehicle to something new; if done right, this will give you exactly the same vehicle to play with, but the camera limits will be removed. I personally suspect GAVRANT but I bet I know why he did it - to enable the use of 3rd person camera views for all the normal tanks without having to make a complicated workaround for these few vehicles with the fixed guns. It makes sense, as ever it's just a case of doing a little more modding later to get everything to work as intended.

Old post::
"Hi guys

As part of my SP Co-op project, I've been changing the position of driver cameras for tanks and tank destroyers.  I've hit a problem which has totally stumped me.  All my changes are recognised on the firing_range maps, but on normal maps... any tanks with fixed turrets (e.g. Stug, Bishop) are showing their original camera positions!  Does anyone have any idea why the Tank_DriverCamera_geom0 line in the vehicle's .tweak file is being ignored for those specific tanks, on non-firing_range maps?
There's only one possibe lead I've got so far. It is the .con file for the tanks; if I change the position of the 'Mantle' template in there, that moves the driver camera to the right position on all maps.  But that also moves the tank's gun with it!

So please respond if you've got any suggestions, I think I'm just going round in sad circles now.  A few years ago, the wizard Gavrant had given me the fh2.cfg file to get more tank cameras in SP/Co-op, so I guess he would have some ideas; but I think he's retired now, so if anyone knows who his successor is, please ask them to check this post!

Thanks, Mark"
« Last Edit: 25-12-2022, 12:12:17 by mft004 »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: Universal tank cameras - help please!
« Reply #1 on: 29-07-2018, 06:07:43 »
what is a non-firing range map?

Offline mft004

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-07-2018, 09:07:18 »
Sorry, I just meant all the other maps apart from the three firing_range maps.  I'm not sure why I'm seeing different camera positions on those maps compared to the others.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-07-2018, 11:07:51 »
Because you normally play singleplayer, and you always run Firing range in the conquest mode. My guess is that some vehicles are altered for the bots use. Test your changes in the conquest mode and if your new camera views work in there, look for tweak files with AI in name and try to edit those maybe? ???
« Last Edit: 29-07-2018, 11:07:54 by jan_kurator »

Offline mft004

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-07-2018, 11:07:28 »
Hi Jan, you're onto something because I've just tried a normal map in Conquest mode and the cameras are updated, very exciting! So the tweaks you mentioned, are they tweaks in the objects_vehicles_server zip or the specific map's folder?

« Last Edit: 29-07-2018, 14:07:50 by mft004 »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-07-2018, 16:07:23 »
No idea about that, sorry. It was just a guess ;)

Offline mft004

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-07-2018, 17:07:29 »
Ok thanks for replying anyway, at least I know it's a vehicle-specific issue now instead of map-specific, thanks again.