Author Topic: Berlin  (Read 21544 times)

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
Re: Berlin
« Reply #120 on: 05-06-2018, 22:06:14 »
Oh okay, I never saw it except for back when I tried making maps for BF2 :P Seems like a minor annoyance, maybe getting rid of arty completely because of it is a bit harsh ;D
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 06-06-2018, 05:06:40 »
The problem is not the map edge, it´s the OOB edge. If I had to cover all those with more statics to make them look "decent" from an arty gunner´s view then I would have to load the map with a TON more buildings, leading to excessive lag.

I guess I will have to test it. I will spot next to the OOBs on different areas of the map and see how the target looks from an arty asset. If testing suggests I will need to add 200 (my rough estimate) more statics then I will just get rid of arty.

Arty might just break gameplay after all, I think there is a reason for not having any arty asset in Battle of Brest for example. It´s a pity not to have any arty in Berlin because it was heavily used by the russians to destroy well-defended buildings.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 06-06-2018, 16:06:41 »
Compare to Brest for instance. Mortar should still be available there.

From the art point of view it is important, that even from an infantry perspective the map not suddenly ends behind the next corner. Which may also require a few OOB buildings. This kills immersion.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 06-06-2018, 18:06:28 »
Look at Brest's OOB as that's the best way to do it while minimizing static use. It also has a mortar and I never see the OOB area with it. tbh I care less about what the arty gunner sees as it's more important that the other 99 players don't see the outside of the map.

If you can screenshot a problem area, maybe we can come up with more creative solutions.

tbh, arty on urban maps can be hell. At most you'd want to give it a mortar. You can give the Russians the 120mm, that packs plenty of punch. :)

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 06-06-2018, 18:06:29 »
Oh Brest has a mortar? Sorry, I didn´t notice that. But still, I thought about it thoroughly. I don´t want the gameplay to be broken. I think the first version will have no artillery. If balance adjustments are required after testing in a full server then we could try adding a mortar or some rocket launchers.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 06-06-2018, 20:06:40 »
I'm pretty sure only mortars would work on that map.  The trajectory of the other arty would be useless with all those building.  You can still use the Wespe and SU 152 as point and shoot arty.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 07-06-2018, 09:06:01 »
Mortars on Brest can be highly devastating for sure, especially on highly populated servers. Then again on a map with so much bottlenecks it would be unwise to remove it completely because it can be already tough enough to break through a line of several refilling squads. I think limiting it to one mortar is good because that limits the terror and also still gives the defenders a bit of room to create defences.

GeoPat is right, howitzers and Katyushas will only lead to mass TK because your shells land anywhere but where you aimed at, leading to frustration of the users and the random victims. Some of the CMP maps suffer from this issue.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 07-06-2018, 21:06:12 »
The problem is not the map edge, it´s the OOB edge.
OK, that's a bit less of a problem then: just paint terrain there, don't place any statics if not necessary for the vew of the other 99 players. That way the arty gunner will just know that it is a useless spot he is looking at because he doesn't see the city anymore. I don't think you will get many complaints about that, it is actually helpful :)

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 12-06-2018, 12:06:52 »
U-Bahn WIP

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 12-06-2018, 15:06:54 »
Cool, is it just for show or can you also go and fight underground?

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 12-06-2018, 18:06:43 »
I thought of it. I also thought about an underground bunker but in the end it wouldn´t work as a flag to fight for. 40 players in such a constrained space wouldn´t be fun so it´s just for the looks. Who knows, maybe in a future version (balance adjustments will be needed for sure) I could replace one of the flags with an underground layout.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 12-06-2018, 18:06:39 »
OK, fair enough. I think it could work, just look at the airfield building on Sidi Rezegh, it has an underground flagzone as well. But I can imagine that it brings several problems with it if you expand underground :)

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 13-06-2018, 12:06:58 »
howitzers and Katyushas will only lead to mass TK because your shells land anywhere but where you aimed at, leading to frustration of the users and the random victims. Some of the CMP maps suffer from this issue.

On the other hand, isn't this quite realistic? Even mainstream historians such as Anthony Beevor estimate that possibly as many as 40% of Russian casualties were caused by their own artillery fire.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 14-06-2018, 09:06:36 »
Heh, yes, it might be but it will not be fun in any way and people will get kicked from the server because of it. Besides, most of the FH gameplay is far from realistic but feels more like arcade with a hardcore damage model which makes it both unique and fun or frustrating; depends on the day, really ;D

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 16-07-2018, 09:07:14 »
How do you draw tank tracks on the ground? Is it with the road tool? I don´t know how to use that.