Author Topic: Changing overgrowth draw distance causes it to generate in different locations?  (Read 255 times)

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
I've noticed an issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has had it as well and/or if there's a possible fix. 

When I change the overgrowth draw distance in Overgrowth.con it causes the overgrowth to be regenerated over the entire map. Practically every tree & such ends up in a different location. This is a problem because I end up with overgrowth in trenches, roads, and clipping thru other statics. Which I could work around that by simply removing each individual tree/whatever manually however since I'm working with Coop maps it causes the overgrowth to generate all inside the navmesh, and hundreds of random holes all over the navmesh where trees/overgrowth USED to be.

It makes no difference if I edit Overgrowth.con manually or do it in the Editor. Both have the same outcome. Even if it's only a 10m difference it relocates everything. Since my laptop generally sucks I must do everything I can to keep from wasting system resources which are imperative with many bots. Sammatus for instance has a view distance of 175m, Fog draw 175m, and Overgrowth draw 250m thus overgrowth is being rendered beyond what can be seen which I imagine wastes system resources. (The particular map is irrelevant, this occurs on *all* maps.)

Also for some reason I haven't been able to get the Navmesh program to work on my PC yet. I've spent hours trying to figure it out, but when I try to create a navmesh for a particular map it just won't do it. After I input mod:fh2 then map: (map name) it runs for a few lines, automatically opens BF2Editor, then crashes. The only error msg I've ever seen has been to do with GTS directories, which I have created, however they're just empty folders as I have nothing to put in them. I'm not sure if I need to create something in BF2Editor first like AI strategic areas or what, but I haven't quite mastered SinglePlayerEditor yet. Anyway, this means I cannot create a whole new navmesh to accommodate the overgrowth draw distance issue.

Has anyone else ever experienced this overgrowth issue?

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
Yeah this is what happens when you change OG viewdistance for some silly reason.

You should however be able to change it in the con file, as long as you don't go in the editor to resave afterwards. So basically, once the map is finished, go into the confile and change it to whatever value you want and then run the game.

Offline aserafimov

• Developer
    • View Profile

Also for some reason I haven't been able to get the Navmesh program to work on my PC yet. I've spent hours trying to figure it out, but when I try to create a navmesh for a particular map it just won't do it. After I input mod:fh2 then map: (map name) it runs for a few lines, automatically opens BF2Editor, then crashes. The only error msg I've ever seen has been to do with GTS directories, which I have created, however they're just empty folders as I have nothing to put in them. I'm not sure if I need to create something in BF2Editor first like AI strategic areas or what, but I haven't quite mastered SinglePlayerEditor yet. Anyway, this means I cannot create a whole new navmesh to accommodate the overgrowth draw distance issue.

Hi Volkssturm,

You need to do some preliminary steps, before start navmeshing process.
Lets start with a checklist of things you must have in order to get to the next step.
1.) A copy of Python installed
2.) At least 2 Capture Points (flags)
3.) Strategic Areas placed on the Capture points that are neighbored.
4.) A Closed Combat Area (Placed anti-clockwise with the 'Used by pathfinding' Checked.
5.) An 'ai' folder in your level directory containing an 'ai.ai' file. (can be copied from an existing
single player fh2 map)

Also, in the link below you will find Kysterama's tutorial, which I believe is very useful.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pzojPRQPXNyQN8CTrJnbOg03K5xgQ0WF/view?usp=sharing

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
Thanks for the replies. I actually didn't check if editing the Overgrowth.con manually caused the overgrowth to regenetate in-game. I just edited the .con manually, opened it in the editor, and immediately noticed the overgrowth was all wrong. Thus I figured the same would happen if it was rendered in-game but if not then that's perfect. 

As far as the Navmesh software, I'm working on navmeshing the CMP Nietjarvi map, so the capture points exist but apparently nothing else. I do have Python 2.7. But of course I realize now that I hadn't created the Strategic Areas and such first. I had read another tutorial but it was rather vague & disorganized which made me believe the navmesh was created first *then* the Strategic Areas  I'll get to work on that. Thanks for the tutorial link, looks useful. 

I'm still relatively new at BF2/FH2 modding, but as I play a lot of Coop I've wanted to learn navmeshing. I'm currently building a Berlin map which I'd like to navmesh when it's done, but before that I'm working on making some of the CMP maps SP/Coop. Besides spending about 16hrs a day mapping & using 3dsmax I've coded all of the CMP vehicles & handweapons for AI. Also made the MG15 into a deployable handweapon (like the MG34 & 42), I've ported some weapons from FH1 such as the MAS36 & MAS38. Ported a few things from BGF & BFKorea such as the Nagant revolver, C96, T-26 tank, I-16 Polikarpov, and others. Only used the models/textures. Recoded everything for FH2. IE: FH2 projectiles, deviation, zoom, recoil, reload times, vehicle physics, etc. Created some new animations too. I'm wanting to port a few BF1 things as well such as the MP18, Fedorov, and Gewehr 98.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
Another point, don't place overgrowth in any area that random generation would cause such problems.  Place static vegetation there instead.  You can make it look better that way and it is more stable.  Certainly do this around trenches, flag zones, etc.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
There will be a method to increase og render distance without regeneration in the next patch.

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
Another point, don't place overgrowth in any area that random generation would cause such problems.  Place static vegetation there instead.  You can make it look better that way and it is more stable.  Certainly do this around trenches, flag zones, etc.

I agree with your statement, but several maps such as Sammatus have a ton of overgrowth surrounding trenches, flag zones, etc. anyway. Which is not any big deal now that I've learned I can adjust the draw distance manually in the .con & it won't regenerate the overgrowth ingame thus interfering with the navmesh. I just don't do any overgrowth work within the editor once I've changed the draw distance.

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile

I agree with your statement, but several maps such as Sammatus have a ton of overgrowth surrounding trenches, flag zones, etc. anyway. Which is not any big deal now that I've learned I can adjust the draw distance manually in the .con & it won't regenerate the overgrowth ingame thus interfering with the navmesh. I just don't do any overgrowth work within the editor once I've changed the draw distance.

Sent you a PM.

Offline fighterpil

• View Profile
There will be a method to increase og render distance without regeneration in the next patch.

Awesome! When will the next patch be released?