Author Topic: Making the 15.5cm GPF usable.  (Read 104 times)

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
Making the 15.5cm GPF usable.
« on: 13-11-2017, 18:11:16 »
Canon de 155mm GPF 1917. WW1 era French artillery gun. When I first saw the render I was excited to try it out as it is a beautiful model & texture plus a very imposing looking gun. Of course I was disappointed to find out it only exists as an objective on Pointe du Hoc & cannot be fired. I searched the forums and found no reference as to how it could be made to fire, just a few people asking about it, so it has been one of my goals to make it fireable.

Anyway while looking through the game files I noticed that it is almost fully scripted as a player controlled object with animations, sounds, effects, camera spot position, artillery sights, etc. The gun recoils when fired, wheels turn when gun is rotated, and a shell ejects when reloading. Making it playable in-game is quite easy: .tweak file is missing the player entry point. I wrote up an entry point script, placed it on a map, and it works wonderfully. It is scripted as an anti-tank gun but has artillery sights which work fine when spotting. It's just equipped with a 155mm AP shell &155mm HE shell insteae of Direct/In-direct like an arty piece. Makes a nice explosion with those HE shells though.

I'm going to do a little work on the sounds. It makes a pretty cool sounding report when fired that I've never heard before but the volume is rather low, thus I may make it louder or replace the sound altogether with a real 15.5cm GPF Firing. Also the wheels don't make that "gravel crunching" sound when rotated, no script exists for that so I will create one. Also the external camera position may need a little adjusting. I may or may not script it as an artillery piece instead of AT so it'll have the direct/in-direct fire capability but I haven't decided yet, I cannot remember if any of the other artillery use AP/HE with the artillery/mortar style long-range spot sights (I'm not sure the technical name for them). Furthermore I am not sure if it's scripted for AI use, when I get home later I am going to investigate this.

If anyone is like me & interested in having a playable 15.5cm GPF in their SP/Coop/3rd party MP then I'll certainly post up the player entry script for the .tweak file, or once I am finished tweaking the sounds, ai, camera position & such I can simply post up the whole .tweak file. You'll need to map it yourself as I believe it only exists in Pointe du Hoc. I'm actually creating 2 different variants, the first is entirely stock so not to affect MP play on Pointe du Hoc & the second is the modified usable one.

Ofc I'm not a professional dev by any means & won't claim to be. However I enjoy learning & can learn just nearly anything. I am currently creating a map of my farm as a learning project. It's approximately 2400m across, has various barns, houses, a stream, roads, hills, woods, etc. I do WW2 & US Civil War military reenactments here + a lot of shooting so it'll be fun to see it presented on in FH2 SP/Coop. Besides that my next goals are to create a deployable MG15, bring the Faustpatrone ingame, build my very first handweapon from the ground up, and create a Volkssturm soldier. Also I found out that the French Renault UE tankette & Somua S35 tanks are present in the game files & they both work perfect. Those will be fun being the Germans made extensive use of captured French equip. I have a whole pic collection of Germans using captured weapons/equipment. There is a French Hotchkiss H39 too but I get a CTD on entry, going to fix that. Ok ok, enough rambling. Getting the 15.5cm GPF working has made me happy for today :)
« Last Edit: 13-11-2017, 18:11:50 by VolkssturmGewehr »

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
Re: Making the 15.5cm GPF usable.
« Reply #1 on: 13-11-2017, 19:11:44 »
What code did you put in tweak file? Is that file in objects/vehichles? Always wanted to try it  ;D

EDIT: I noticed you said you want to make map, make wepons(3d models), coding,sound,etc. I would suggest you to focus on one thing- if you are making models,focus on modeling until perfect in that. You cant do everything(Only Rhino from PR can lol). Good luck!
« Last Edit: 13-11-2017, 20:11:40 by Ivancic1941 »
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-11-2017, 20:11:24 »
What code did you put in tweak file? Is that file in objects/vehichles? Always wanted to try it  ;D

EDIT: I noticed you said you want to make map, make wepons(3d models), coding,sound,etc. I would suggest you to focus on one thing- if you are making models,focus on modeling until perfect in that. You cant do everything(Only Rhino from PR can lol). Good luck!

Here's what I added to the gpf_155mm.tweak file:

Code: [Select]
ObjectTemplate.create EntryPoint gpf_155mm_EntryPoint
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "knoffhoff"
ObjectTemplate.createdInEditor 1
ObjectTemplate.floaterMod 0
ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 0
ObjectTemplate.setEntryRadius 3

Making the file look like this:

rem -------------------------------------
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_GPF_155mm_wheel_right_RotationRpm
ObjectTemplate.setMaxSpeed 0/-50/0
ObjectTemplate.setAcceleration 0/10/0
ObjectTemplate.setInputToPitch PIMouseLookX

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound S_GPF_155mm_wheel_right_RotationRpm

ObjectTemplate.create EntryPoint gpf_155mm_EntryPoint
ObjectTemplate.setEntryRadius 3

ObjectTemplate.create Bundle gpf_155mm_remotecam_holder
ObjectTemplate.setNetworkableInfo BasicInfo
ObjectTemplate.cullRadiusScale 1e+008

As mentioned I think some things need fine tuned with it, however it is certainly functional.

As far as learning everything else, it'll be a long process but I fully intend to learn it all. I'm already a Certified Flight Instructor/Commercial rated pilot, automotive technician ASE certified in nearly every field from auto body to diesel engines to air brake systems & went to Volkswagen school, master watchmaker & jeweler, certified gunsmith, C licensed skydiver, and competitive marksman...I'll be adding a few other things to that list as I learn FH2 modding :) 

****Edit: Just realized I was mistaken. The GPF is still scripted as an AT gun (I believe) however it does state 105mm AP Direct Fire & 105mm HE Indirect Fire. Should be 155mm though, that may either just be a typing mistake or the 155mm projectile doesn't exist. Also when firing at a spot, the Elevation seems correct however the Azimuth appears to be off by about 3 to 8 degrees in either directon. Not sure if this is a coding error or some other factor in play.
« Last Edit: 13-11-2017, 21:11:34 by VolkssturmGewehr »

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14-11-2017, 08:11:51 »
Realized I forgot this line of code needs to be added as well:

ObjectTemplate.addTemplate gpf_155mm_EntryPoint
So it'll look like:

ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_gpf_155mm_Ambient
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_gpf_155mm_AmbientDamaged
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate gpf_155mm_EntryPoint
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate gpf_155mm_remotecam_holder
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 0/1.83049/-1.12141

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14-11-2017, 20:11:36 »
I don't know if you know them but here 2 usefull links:
http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/tutorials/
http://www.bytehazard.com/bfstuff/

I'm sorry, i can't really help you in this modding area, i'm mainly handweapons/modelling stuff.
About the french stuff, the 75 is supposed to be the main playable arty on map, that's the reason why we never bother code it as playable. 155 is supposed to be the invisible commander arty.

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14-11-2017, 22:11:06 »
Thanks for the links. The 1st one I've been working through, the 2nd I don't have but will save. 

Out of curiosity by 75 I presume you mean a piece of 75mm French artillery that was never developed and the 155mm was intended for commander artillery barrages like (I believe) BF2 has but it was never introduced to FH2? Just wondering as the 15.5cm GPF is currently coded to fire the 105mm L28 AP/HE projectiles. 

Anyway that's very interesting info to learn, I had been wondering about that. Thanks again.