Author Topic: Adding Volkssturmgewehr 1-5 & Volkssturmkarabiner 98 kits to other maps?  (Read 180 times)

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
Hello everyone. The VG 1-5 & VK-98 are my two top favorite weapons, and since they're only available on the Seelow Heights map I am curious if there's some sort of simple way to add these pickup kits to a few other FH2 maps? I know it wouldn't be entirely historically correct, just would enjoy using them more often. Thanks everyone for your time.

Online Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
There are ways of adding them to other maps.

However, you can't do it and expect to play on multiplayer. The server will recognize the modded files and kick you.

I think that all you have to do is go to the folder of the map that you want to add the weapon to, find a pickup kit in the object spawners, and replace the kit with the VG 1-5 or VK-98 pickup kit (by copy/ pasting from Seelow Heights).

This takes a bit more explanation if you've never messed with the game files before, but I don't have my 'FH2' computer in front of me right now, so maybe someone else can jump in.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
In that case he also needs to repack the map using the python script, so it is a bit complicated for a person without technical experience.

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
Thanks for the replies guys. I thumbed through some of the files in seelow_coop just to see how everything is setup. I've done some CoD modding but never BF2/FH2. Didn't see either the vg45 or vk98 though I believe they must be listed as one of the "faust" objects. 

After that I downloaded the BF2Editor, got it working well enough, loaded the seelow_coop level just to look around. Noticed the editor only shows static objects & terrain. Not sure if I'm needing to extract any other files. A lot of the tutorials here are missing their photos & such. Anyway I placed a couple VK98 & VG45 pickup kits just to experiment, unfortunately BF2Editor crashes when I attempt to save, so I'll have to figure out the reason for that too. I'm guessing I'm missing files of some sort, maybe object spawners. The tutorial says they aren't required & lists how to get by without them but again the photos don't work as Photobucket sucks & removed them. Not sure if that's the cause of my error. I'd be perfectly content just replacing a few existing kits on other maps with the VK98/VG45. Such as Omaha/Gold Beach and other late-war maps. 

I'm looking forward to some new eastern front maps, if this game is still in development I mean.

Online Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
If you're just looking to add a weapon, I wouldn't go into the editor to do it. The BF2 Editor reads the 'Editor'  folder of a map. These are not included in the normal game. This is why almost nothing shows up when you load a map in the editor. (Also, where are you finding 'seelow-coop?' I don't think Seelow has bots added to it?)

What I would do is navigate to the gameplay objects folder for the 64 layer;

Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\fh2\levels\seelow\server.zip\GameModes\gpm_cq\64
This is what the game reads to load up all of the spawners in the game (soldier spawns, vehicle spawns, pickup kits spawns etc...)

open the "GamePlayObjects.con" file in notepad and Ctrl+F for 'pickup'. This will find the pickup kits that are placed on the 64 layer of Seelow Heights.

You'll want to find something like 'GW_PickUpPanzerfaust60m_VS' or 'GW_PickUpPanzerfaust100m_VS.'

Pretty sure these stand for GW=German West, Pickup=Pickup Kit, Panzerfaust60or100m= Panzerfaust, VS= Volkssturm. The 60m has the VG-45 and the 100m has the VK-98.

From there I would go to another map (whatever map you want to put these weapons on) and paste one of the kits into one of that map's pickup kit.

For example; if I know the location of the anti-tank kit at Mont on Bastogne, I would find that in the GamePlayObjects.con for that level.

Code: [Select]
rem [ObjectSpawnerTemplate: CP_64_coop_mont_DE_US_Antitank]
ObjectTemplate.create ObjectSpawner CP_64_coop_mont_DE_US_Antitank
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe ObjectSpawner CP_64_coop_mont_DE_US_Antitank
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "WSU"
ObjectTemplate.isNotSaveable 1
ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 0
ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 GW_PickUpPanzerfaust100m
ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 UW_PickUpBazookaM9
ObjectTemplate.minSpawnDelay 120
ObjectTemplate.maxSpawnDelay 240

I would then replace 'GW_PickUpPanzerfaust100m' with 'GW_PickUpPanzerfaust100m_VS' (or whatever you want).

Then save the new .con file.

HOWEVER, a simple copy paste won't work. I think you have to re-pack the map. (this does some voodoo that puts all the files in a place where the game can read them :P)

To pack a map you have to use the 'pack-map.py' that is located in the FH2 folder. this is a Python script that you need to have Python installed to run. When you run it, it will open the command prompt and ask you to type in a map name. Just type the name of the map you're packing and it should run a script that packs it for you.

*disclaimer* even this might not work. I haven't tried it because I don't have Python on this computer and map packing is pure voodoo to me. Maybe a more experienced mapper or coder can help you out.

Hope you can get a gun added to the map you want. That's the first step in getting addicted to modding. Maybe you'll get interested enough to make a map or weapons or something one day :)

Also, back up your files, 'cause if you fuck them up enough you'll have to use the 'Repair' option in the launcher to get everything back to where you can play online.

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
Thanks for the response, I had imagined the 'GW_PickUpPanzerfaust60m_VS' and 'GW_PickUpPanzerfaust100m_VS.' being the two I was looking for, however I wasn't positive but now I know.

As an experiment using NotePad++ I replaced the two "GW_PickUpSniperK98" kits on Omaha_Beach at WN71 with "GW_PickUpPanzerfaust60m_VS", placed the edited GamePlayObjects.con back into the server.zip archive and repacked the map using the included python script & Python 2.7. No errors came up, the map loads fine (Coop) however neither of the kits appear, not the scoped k98 nor Volkssturmgewehr45.

Oh and the reason I have a seelow_coop folder is from the mod that allows bots on the eastern front maps.

Going to try and do some research to figure out another way to get it working as there's no doubt it's possible to do, and I want to learn how to mod FH2 being WW2 history is a huge interest of mine & I love this game. I've created maps & somewhat simple models on other games (3d modeling & skinning is something I've always wanted to learn but never could quite master), but I'm certain I can learn the material. My ultimate goal is to create some new Volkssturm related content for FH2 as well as some other late-war eastern front maps. As mentioned previously, FH2 is literally the only FPS game in the world to feature any Volkssturm content IE the VG 1-5 and VK98 rifles. CoD:World at War was supposed to feature a Volkssturm soldier, the skin and model exists in the game files however it was never used. Not sure why the Volkssturm has almost always been overlooked in WW2 based games.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
I think you need to completely unpack both .zips in the map folder, change the files and THEN repack with the script. Then it should work.

BTW if the latest leaks are to be believed, the next Call of Duty game will feature the Volkssturmgewehr.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
To add a pickup, just copy and paste it into the tmp.con and then paste it over an existing pickup in the GamPlayObjects.con.  Use notepad or some other text editor to open these files.  Just make it look like the ones there.  It's pretty easy.

I've done whole campaigns that way.  Scripts are for pussies. 

I only started using the editor to make maps from scratch.

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
To add a pickup, just copy and paste it into the tmp.con and then paste it over an existing pickup in the GamPlayObjects.con.  Use notepad or some other text editor to open these files.  Just make it look like the ones there.  It's pretty easy.

Thank you!! That worked perfect. I hadn't checked the tmp.con file, if I would have then I'd likely have realized this. This is also why I couldn't get the new pickup kit's to appear when I would use the repack script as I was only editing the GamePlayObjects.con file. I'm still learning about modding in FH2 and certainly want to continue learning so I can make some custom Eastern Front maps & such.

When adding a brand new pickup kit to a map however, do you use the editor to place them and/or to discover the coordinates? I see in the GamePlayObjects.con file that the X/Y/Z coordinates are entered for each pickup (IE: Object.absolutePosition -167.993/99.370/1.664) but wasn't entirely sure how you went about actually discovering these coordinates for placement except by using BF2Editor. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
It certainly is easier to place the kits in the editor.  However, I did many maps by finding the coordinates of something else in the GPO and then just adding 1 or 2 to the X or Y for the pickup kit. I usually use the flag's coordinates.  You have to make sure it has the right height.  It might take a few times of going in game and checking.  If it's single player it can be hidden as long as you know where it is.