Author Topic: Why are air war maps so rare, few and unpopular?  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Why are air war maps so rare, few and unpopular?
« Reply #15 on: 08-08-2017, 23:08:05 »
People like it because it provides planes and lots of tanks. However, the actual layout as well as "style" is... subpar.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09-08-2017, 00:08:29 »
The biggest issue with a BoB map isn't the scale but the fact that it only focuses on one form of combat. There would be some people who disappear when it comes up because it only has planes and AA.

The poll I made in the other forum suggests that the majority of people wouldn't mind it tho.

This one:
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=20567.0

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09-08-2017, 09:08:04 »
Agree. Op. Cobra is a piece of shit.
And yet it's still better than any other map (or any content) you made.
You may not like it, but don't say it's a piece of shit, as for as I'm concerned, I really like this map, even if it has its flaws.
Well I like the city part, but this map is bad because there is no 32 or 16 pl version
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09-08-2017, 11:08:45 »
Agree. Op. Cobra is a piece of shit.
And yet it's still better than any other map (or any content) you made.
You may not like it, but don't say it's a piece of shit, as for as I'm concerned, I really like this map, even if it has its flaws.
Well I like the city part, but this map is bad because there is no 32 or 16 pl version
The vehicles close distances so that it effectively is a 16p tanking version, as there are planes and tanks available for everyone.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27-08-2017, 10:08:16 »

FHT version of BoB, while also being scaled down a lot, at least was based on an actual terrain, it was focused around air engagements and felt less crouded, since players were spreaded out around the huge flag zones, and not just a few tiny objectives, what added a little bit of realistic feel into it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUEXlUXbDoc

Not want to be rude, Im not true mapper
but is there chance ,you CMP guys, for polishing and including this mainly fighter version of BoB -and removing bf1942 version? Maybe just to ask would you like to do it?
« Last Edit: 27-08-2017, 10:08:07 by Ivancic1941 »
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27-08-2017, 13:08:37 »
My main gripe with BF2/FH2 flying is the awfully short visibility, it's like flying in a fog all the time. Of course, this is more of an engine limitation, because otherwise you would see all across the small map, leaving nowehere to hide, and the engine would probably choke on itself. However, the visibility also limits tactical choices: you can't climb too high unless you want to lose the sight of the enemies (or hit the "glass ceiling" even if you're a male).

The second is the flight model itself, again I suspect this is more of an engine limitation. I wouldn't say it resembles a "jet" or "prop", it is its own thing that has very little to do with real physics (cf. ground vehicles and their ridiculously high-set centre of gravity). Yes, I realize a FPS shooter cannot have Falcon 4.0 style realism, but even many "flyer shooters" like Ace Combat 6 have a better flight model. Going back to the ancient Their Finest Hour that turns 28 this year, that had already a better WW2 flight model and despite being labeled as "simulator" at the time, would not be too difficult to learn if applied to a today's FPS (a stark reminder on just how primitive the games of those ancient times were). Nevermind that I'm spoiled rotten by the IL-2 series, which even at its easiest settings (which I rarely used after getting a "feel" of the more realistic flying) feels more like real flying (and again, those "easy" settings would not be too difficult to learn in a FPS, it's the "realistic" mode that takes real practice). Also, since the BF2 flight model is its own thing, the more experience you have of "real" flight games (in my case, 27 years, starting with Project: Stealth Fighter on the C64) the more you have to unlearn (like throttle that seems to have two settings only even when using a flightstick: war emergency power and idle, and when you start to lose speed, it happens so fast you will never recover from a stall or have time to increase power).

Yet, as an aviation enthusiast, I cannot resist trying flying every now and then, but time after time, I cannot bring myself spending the hours necessary to master the BF2 flight model.

Nevertheless, flying in FH2 is still fun every once in a while, even for a whole evening when there's a special event, and at its best, the chaos on Battle of Britain or Bombing the Reich maps is epic. But "pure" flying is not FH2's main forte, that would be the combined arms approach that meets the right amount of realism in ground combat.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03-09-2017, 16:09:28 »
Il-2 has the numbing rudder pedal simulation, just like every other "simulators" out there, including the famed Microsoft FS (and its Prepar3d continuation by Lockheed Martin) and X-Plane series. Which is why we use mods. There are no perfect FS in the market today. Perhaps Falcon 4.0 (BMS) or DCS can aleviate that, but even DCS has weird physics for aircraft touching down.

In FH or BF games, and ARMA games, planes provide some sort of atmosphere, even the player-piloted ones. It feels too fast for a proper strafing runs, the fog limits dogfighting potential, and the AA is dead accurate because we don't get enough distance from them. The whole flying thing in BF2 engine is broken in my opinion. Perhaps because they were to accomodate helicopter simulation physics, perhaps something else. Therefore, focusing on BF2's weakest link might not yield good results, but it surely appeal to certain die hard FH fans.