Author Topic: Question about FPS, framerate  (Read 308 times)

Offline SEALION1941

• View Profile
Question about FPS, framerate
« on: 06-05-2017, 15:05:28 »
I would like to know about the importance of Frames Per Second in FH2.

Upon enabling the option to show it in game, I get a reddish indicator on the top left side of the screen, with numbers that move constantly, separated by a slash. The average is something like 50/120 FPS, ~50 for the left side and ~120 for the right side.

Now, I bought a new PC last year which is supposed to be good. These are the specs:

AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
8192MB RAM
DirectX 12
AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series 4 GB
1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I have been playing shooters for a long time on PC but I never cared about FPS. I have recently discovered that it matters, and having low framerate puts you at a disadvantage. I learned this upon playing BF1 for a while. People have told me the good framerate for a MP shooter is around 100, because even if the monitor does not show anything beyond 60 you still benefit from extra smoothness.

I would like to know your opinion on this, particularly which are my real FPS in FH2, because I don't know if its around 50 or 120 (left and right of the upper corner, respectively). In theory my PC should get very high FPS, even with everything on max (my resolution is 1920*1080p)

Also, what do you think about the FPS neeeded to play a MP shooter conformtably and not at a disadvantage.

I am totally ignorant when it comes to PC gaming fine tuning, hardware, etc. and I would like to get some idea. The PC I have was built for me.

Thank you very much

(SEALION1941 is my old nickname, I am currently Schuman in-game).

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
Re: Question about FPS, framerate
« Reply #1 on: 06-05-2017, 22:05:59 »
the one to the left is FPS the one to the right is Frame render time

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/4c18ky/what_is_the_best_way_of_getting_a_consistent/

I prefer fps 110+
My in-game Awg fps is 125 +/- 10 in most maps on 144hz monitor, fps locked at 150
If lock fps higher than the monitor Hz can show, can make ingame experience look better, becuse frames have time to idle, before beeing showed :-) But is probaly diffeerent from pc to pc...etc

A few maps 90+ players I can get fps drops. Lower than 80 makes it hard to hit enemy when moving on foot:-)

You are only seeing what your hand is feeling. To me Money spent on a high-end gamer mouse is more important than high fps and stable frame time

When I played on 60Hz a couple of years ago I had fps lock on 120.
No vsync and no AA will raise FPS

« Last Edit: 06-05-2017, 22:05:08 by Alubat »

Offline SEALION1941

• View Profile
Re: Question about FPS, framerate
« Reply #2 on: 07-05-2017, 18:05:43 »
the one to the left is FPS the one to the right is Frame render time

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/4c18ky/what_is_the_best_way_of_getting_a_consistent/

I prefer fps 110+
My in-game Awg fps is 125 +/- 10 in most maps on 144hz monitor, fps locked at 150
If lock fps higher than the monitor Hz can show, can make ingame experience look better, becuse frames have time to idle, before beeing showed :-) But is probaly diffeerent from pc to pc...etc

A few maps 90+ players I can get fps drops. Lower than 80 makes it hard to hit enemy when moving on foot:-)

You are only seeing what your hand is feeling. To me Money spent on a high-end gamer mouse is more important than high fps and stable frame time

When I played on 60Hz a couple of years ago I had fps lock on 120.
No vsync and no AA will raise FPS

Thanks for your post. Turns out I had limited the framerate to 100. While in-game, I had it around 90 something most of the time, but suddenly it would drop to 40 or 50.

To be honest, I had never worried about this, but I felt that sometimes in other games I should maybe get some kills I don't, and turns out that I had low FPS. Particularly in BF1. I asked one guy there on their forums and he told me he thinks like you that 100 FPS are the ok value, although a few drops might not be important.

I will keep seeing how this thing evolves in FH2 now that I have set the limit to 150, because even if my PC is not state of the art, it is still a moster PC for a 2005 base game. It should run perfectly on it I think.