Author Topic: Need help with UV/ applying textures  (Read 744 times)

Offline John_Snow

• View Profile
Need help with UV/ applying textures
« on: 11-03-2017, 23:03:58 »
Greetings FH community, as a big fan of both mods I am happy to make my first post here.

I'd like to mention an issue I'm having here,

being that when I open a .staticmesh in this case in Bf2MeshView, it comes with couple of materials, sometimes one material with 3-4 textures.

I manage to export, get the textures and import the mesh in another program.
However, the texture does not match the mesh in any way shape or form.

I want to have a single texture for a mesh if it's possible and I am asking for a detailed explanation on how I can resolve this and not make the meshes look like an omelette in the end.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with UV/ applying textures
« Reply #1 on: 12-03-2017, 04:03:06 »
Hi, John_Snow

To be clear, you want to import an FH2 .Staticmesh file onto another modeling program (I hope 3ds Max or Maya?).

~Roughbeak

Offline John_Snow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14-03-2017, 19:03:22 »
Right you are.

Now to be clear, I am not making my own mod and I am not going to use any existing work without permission and so forth.

Offline Roughbeak

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14-03-2017, 20:03:45 »
The reason why you are having difficult time to import a model to 3ds Max or Maya is that these exported vBF2 files (either .Staticmesh, .Bundledmesh etc.) files discourage people from opening them in external source.

Partly the problem is that when you export it turn the mesh into a triangulated fashion-- meaning difficult to edit. Developers have 3ds Max files to modify or such instead of the export from Bfmeshview method.

Hope this clears it up!
Roughbeak

Offline John_Snow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16-03-2017, 15:03:41 »
Thanks

One other issue I had is when using the PoE2 tools in 3ds Max, how do I manage to import these meshes?

The last time I did this it appeared to create some script errors it seems, "undefined".
Is this due to lack of files, or a wrong directory placement?

Offline Roughbeak

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16-03-2017, 16:03:16 »
Hi,

PoE2 tools work mainly in 3ds Max "9" version, but with newer versions of 3ds Max, below are some files that seem to work with the latter:
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=100.msg350722#msg350722

So you would select BF2>BF2 Utilities>StaticMesh (under Wizards). Again, if you were to import a staticmesh file, you still have the problem of a mesh-- meaning a model that gets triangulated instead of the usual quads.

What I did when I was learning like you, was that I basically traced over these imported models to make a model of out it-- for learning purposes of course. ;)

.. and as always, if you need any help with stuff, please ask!

Cheers,
Roughbeak