Author Topic: 3D Map browser in WWW browser  (Read 422 times)

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
3D Map browser in WWW browser
« on: 08-10-2016, 22:10:06 »
I thought I'd put this here because I'm not sure I'm going to have any time to do this, so it might give someone a chance to take this up. Then again if there's enough interest it might inspire me to get it done.

I made a map browser for Battlegroup42. There's not quite as many maps out there for FH, but it's easy to forget what many maps include, what the various game mode setups are for 16/32/64, etc. This is often not shown in the selection image in the in game map browser. The map images on the above link were generated with a Perl script. CP's, ammo boxes and vehicle locations are shown.

I briefly tested my modified version of the original script with Battlefield 2 and in principle it seems to work. But the directory locations are wrong and the in game map image is a different size so the script cannot place the asset locations properly. Could all be fixed.

So what I'm thinking of for FH is something in HTML5/WebGL in the browser. Say a WW2 tent or bunker with the commanders table.

Steaming cup of coffee. Smoking cigar in the ash tray. A loop of some actual WW2 recording of reports coming from CP's looping on the radio. You can spin the camera around a bit. Every time a new map is selected there's a russling sound of maps and the "mini map" for the FH map is displayed along with some way to show the loading image as well. It might be a good way to build the atmosphere before loading up a map, as well as familiarising new players with map layouts before jumping into online play.

Only thing that worries me is publishing maps with locations of various assets already marked. I don't usually play online but I imagine it would not have a negative influence on MP unless someone says otherwise.

What do you think ? I've been wanting to use Blender to do something in WebGL/HTML5 in the browser for a while, and/or it could be a good project for someone out there.
« Last Edit: 08-10-2016, 22:10:54 by Michael Z Freeman »