Author Topic: Forgotten hope 2 wikipedia page  (Read 2598 times)

Offline DeFly

• View Profile
Forgotten hope 2 wikipedia page
« on: 30-09-2016, 09:09:37 »
Since I saw that project reality have his own page and fh2 not, i decided that this fantastic mod deserve a wiki page. Aslo making a wiki page could increase player base and give this awersome mod more visibility in my opinion.
So my question is how i can structure the page to better reflect all the beauty of the game?
I will first make the page in my native language italian then i will translate it into english, maybe after the translation some willing user can transalate it in is own native language
« Last Edit: 30-09-2016, 17:09:09 by DeFly »

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten hope 2 wikipedia page
« Reply #1 on: 30-09-2016, 16:09:25 »
I think it has been done multiple times, but it always get's deleted. Something to do with lacking sources iirc. Maybe someone else can tell more...

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-09-2016, 16:09:28 »
AFAIK you need an independent source for the article (so not our website, for instance). I know there have been articles written about this mod in German video game magazines back in the day, those might be on the net now.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30-09-2016, 16:09:43 »
Would winning the ModDB awards or anything written on their website count as an independent source?

Offline DeFly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30-09-2016, 17:09:04 »
AFAIK you need an independent source for the article (so not our website, for instance). I know there have been articles written about this mod in German video game magazines back in the day, those might be on the net now.

Project Reality page is full of reference taken from his own site, so i think is ok for wikipedia to take reference from official sites, after all there isnt a better source of information than the official site/forum of FH2.
I find a bit senseless that i have to serch the net to find a random guy that have made a review of the game for a trusted reference, all the FH2 gamers are more trusty for information than a random journalist on the web

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30-09-2016, 18:09:21 »
Would winning the ModDB awards or anything written on their website count as an independent source?

Yeah, probably.

@DerFly: IIRC the fh2 page kept being deleted for lack of independent sources back in the day.

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30-09-2016, 19:09:28 »
it was mainly trolls deleting/asking for deletion too ! a total Wikipedia failure in terms of respect.
I remember to have post some wikipedia links to the discussions.
After several attemps we simply abandonned ... Prizes, Magazine citation didn't matter for them

Some nice other source to point to http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Forgotten_Hope_2

Offline DeFly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01-10-2016, 00:10:01 »
I tryed to make the page on English Wikipedia, they took about 30 min to take it down even if i added quotation. On the other hand the italian version is ok, maybe i will attract more of my countrymen to this splendid game. I also found that the only other version of that page that still resist are the finnish and the japanese one

Offline DeFly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01-10-2016, 12:10:13 »
I tryed to make the page on English Wikipedia, they took about 30 min to take it down even if i added quotation. On the other hand the italian version is ok, maybe i will attract more of my countrymen to this splendid game. I also found that the only other version of that page that still resist are the finnish and the japanese one
delete what i said, the page is still there. It have been review and is now marked with a "more quotation" banner, maybe this is the luky one. The page is still a WIP maybe someone can help me since my english is not very good.

FH 2 Wiki page
« Last Edit: 01-10-2016, 12:10:59 by DeFly »

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01-10-2016, 13:10:22 »
There is a mention of FH2 on IGN, I guess that could work as a valid reference?
http://www.ign.com/games/forgotten-hope-2-a-battlefield-2-total-conversion/pc-114673
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline DeFly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01-10-2016, 13:10:17 »
There is a mention of FH2 on IGN, I guess that could work as a valid reference?
http://www.ign.com/games/forgotten-hope-2-a-battlefield-2-total-conversion/pc-114673

Thanks added on the page.

The main work with the page is finish the weapon table, since FH2 developers made a shit-ton of weapons
« Last Edit: 01-10-2016, 13:10:14 by DeFly »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01-10-2016, 16:10:34 »
Weapons table is probably too much detail for a wikipedia page. For sources:

www.gamestar.de/spiele/battlefield-2/news/battlefield_2,33353,3267597.html

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01-10-2016, 19:10:58 »
You should start with citations already in your introduction and in particular use the most valuable ones first, like the game magazin links. Now your problem is a lot of references pointing to the fh2 site at first, while having the award winning stuff at the end. Make it the other way around. Moderators possibly do not read until your references, because they come so late.

It should look something like: "forgotten hope 2 is an award winning [1,2] game modification of the 2005 game battlefield 2. It is set in a ww2 setting [3] and offers a heavily modified gameplay compared [4] to bf2."

Everyone, who reads your first paragraph should immediately know, that it is a credible article. It is not only about havjng references, but also using them for your message.

Also, the weapons table is peobably too much for wikipedia. Is there any way to hide it, so it only expands on click?

And for reference: did you include the MoTY award aswell as the honary mentions on modbd?

Are there any other sources, like minimods or cooperations with other mods (PR with the gamesp shutdown issue?) which can be used as outside references?

Offline DeFly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01-10-2016, 20:10:35 »
You should start with citations already in your introduction and in particular use the most valuable ones first, like the game magazin links. Now your problem is a lot of references pointing to the fh2 site at first, while having the award winning stuff at the end. Make it the other way around. Moderators possibly do not read until your references, because they come so late.

It should look something like: "forgotten hope 2 is an award winning [1,2] game modification of the 2005 game battlefield 2. It is set in a ww2 setting [3] and offers a heavily modified gameplay compared [4] to bf2."

Everyone, who reads your first paragraph should immediately know, that it is a credible article. It is not only about havjng references, but also using them for your message.

Also, the weapons table is peobably too much for wikipedia. Is there any way to hide it, so it only expands on click?

And for reference: did you include the MoTY award aswell as the honary mentions on modbd?

Are there any other sources, like minimods or cooperations with other mods (PR with the gamesp shutdown issue?) which can be used as outside references?

Ok i modified the heading, yes there is a way to hide the weapon table but i know how to do it in the italian wikipedia, in italian wiki it is called"cassetto"(drawer) i'm still searching the eng wiki for a tutorial.Yes i mentioned the award on ModDB

[EDIT] ok i figured out how to add the show/hide on the weapon table
« Last Edit: 01-10-2016, 21:10:56 by DeFly »

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02-10-2016, 10:10:12 »
In the 'awards' section you said 'fh2 scores a very good user rating'. Please take out the phrase "very good". It is an opinion and subjective. Think about, who rates a game on moddb. These are usually people, who like and look for the mod.

Write in a more neutral tone, like "on moddb fh2 recieved a user score of 9.4 based on numerous user reviews."

And what about a citation pointing to FH1? Or even better writing a joint article on FH1 and FH2? This way you can include more references and have an article with a broader topic, which makes it less likely to be taken out of wikipedia.
« Last Edit: 02-10-2016, 10:10:25 by Oberst »