Off-Topic > Gaming

Pokémon GO

(1/3) > >>

Kelmola:
So, why aren't you on Level 20+ yet? :P

It's obviously an "early access pre-alpha" despite reputedly having been in a public beta already, but the 0.3.x version number seems to be accurate. Practically none of the features advertised in the announcement trailer exist (PvP battles on the go, genuine team vs. team battles, "raids" and/or events, and most importantly, trading pokémons) and even a supposedly working pokémon tracking system is still in "beta testing for selected users", which would still be a much more vague system than the trailer suggests. Oh well, the launch trailer did away with all this, but it still has the bluetooth alert gizmo, and suggests that the odometer would work if the screen is turned on and/or lock screen is used (hint: it won't, the game loses the GPS signal due to how Android is made). And the launch trailer encourages cheating (not to mention potentially suicidal behaviour) because people are playing the game while riding a bicycle.

Despite the real game missing from this, it has actually managed to become a breakthrough in "gamifying" physical exercise, which I think is a good justification all by itself. Across the first world and increasingly in developing countries, sedentary lifestyle with too little of physical activity is contributing to various health problems, so anything that gets people (like me) moving is a good thing basically. Last night what was supposed to be a quick "incense run" of 30 mins (because Incense spawns a new 'mon every 200 metres moved) accidentally stretched out to 2 hours of interval training.

Also, it's funny how nowadays more and more people are clearly playing it whenever they are walking. Parks and squares are filling up with people who talk and get acquainted with each other, and of course NIMBY's are at it and are raving how public spaces should be empty and silent at all times. Oh well, at least now also in beergardens and on terraces people have a common ice-breaker to open the discussion.

Though, Niantic really should build a game in there somewhere to keep the users interested. And of course, WINTER IS COMING and since the game eats battery like no tomorrow, cold air is not going to increase playing time, not to mention that throwing pokéballs with gloves on will be impossible. Interesting to see whether the game survives until spring thaws outside the regions where snowfall is a national emergency that fortunately lasts only a day or two.

PS. Can't even blame the nostalgy, I was too old for Pokémon when it became all the rage so all this is new to me except for the "wild x appeared" and "x uses y, it is super effective!" memes.

Kelmola:
...and Niantic dropped the speed limit to 10,5 km/h from 18 km/h, effectively forcing people to walk and not run when hatching. DROPPED

Zoologic:
Never played the card game, nor the video games (except the one in game boy, ruby if I recalled correctly).

But this new Pokemon interation really hooked me. In a matter of 2 weeks, I got my own 1.000+ Gyarados already by hoarding 120 something Magikarps alone.

Hjaldrgud:
Do you live on a boat, m8?

Oberst:
In my rural area there are just two pokestops. In the neighboring village there is even none. And no pokemons...

I walk my dog alot, i could easily hatch hundreds of eggs and catchs pokemons in forrest and fields, but nothing...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version