Author Topic: Do you like your Mosin-Nagant?  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Dancho

• Mayonnaise king
    • View Profile
Do you like your Mosin-Nagant?
« on: 24-07-2016, 00:07:55 »
Hello guys!

Let me talk about some weapons and what I think about them.
So first, lets start with the Mosin-Nagant 30/91-not my favourite WW2 rifle because of it's poor quality. However, it's a very nice weapon model, maybe my favourite and it's sights are fine. But the bolt reloading animations are a bit too "bolt" for me. Take for example the Springfield A4. I think the animations are a lot more smoother than thoose of the Mosin-Nagant. Same applies for it's carabine variants.

Now the carabines are just things that I run away from. Why? Look at the sights, the foresight stays too high. I am not weapon expert but I can tell you if you put the foresight/muzzle sight like that the bullet is not going to hit the target but will land under it instead. This is the reason why I can't hit sh*t with the carabines (M38; M44). I don't know how to aim these and where to shoot.

In addition to the sharp moving animations we have something weird "shaking" after looking trough sights or reloading. I think it is something bug. It is like "zooming and unzooming" without asking it to do it and it's very annoying.

Here is also a thing I'd like to suggest-MG-34/42 hip fire but without the possibility to look trough sights and aim. AFAIK you can land accurate bursts up to 50-60m if you shoot like that. We can use this for very CQC situations, like in houses or bunkers maybe.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
Re: Do you like your Mosin-Nagant?
« Reply #1 on: 24-07-2016, 05:07:06 »

Here is also a thing I'd like to suggest-MG-34/42 hip fire but without the possibility to look trough sights and aim. AFAIK you can land accurate bursts up to 50-60m if you shoot like that. We can use this for very CQC situations, like in houses or bunkers maybe.

I actually like this idea.  One of my pet peeves of BF2 mods is the ability to shoot while diving.  It's just an immersion killer for me and veterans without dignity know this exploit all too well.  Hip fire would give the machine gunners a more honorable option in close quarters.  I will gladly except a burst of death from from a quicker opponent who looks me straight in the eye, but I cannot stomach the coward who dives to my feet like a worm as he aims his "center screen" at me.

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-07-2016, 11:07:29 »
Again mg34/42 are a mpmg/mmg so no hipshooting.
(even if it is possible - you can kill someone with your helmet, that doesn't mean we are going to add it ;) )

If you want to defend yourself, use your pistol !
Or even better , create a team with someone to protect you when you move from place to place

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24-07-2016, 12:07:47 »
Red Orchestra 2 has hip firing from the MG34 and MG42, and to be honest most of the time it ends up in people ramboing their way into rooms hip shooting their machine guns. I prefer FH2's system much more since it avoids this kind of silliness.

Offline Great Khan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-07-2016, 17:07:00 »
As the developer stated,use your pistol or have your teammates work with you.The MG-34 and 42 are already extremelly powerful if you find a good spot,and the last thing I want is them to be also be able to hip fire with it.
Just because another realistic WW2 game has it doesn't mean FH2 has to have a certain mechanic.
The MG gunner is supposed to cover a certain area and suppress the enemy,and some countries and maps have MG kits with LMGs which you can shoot while standing,but these trade that feature for magazine capacity,and they still have extreme recoil.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-07-2016, 20:07:06 »
In addition to the sharp moving animations we have something weird "shaking" after looking trough sights or reloading. I think it is something bug. It is like "zooming and unzooming" without asking it to do it and it's very annoying.

Are you playing from somewhere else than europe, with high ping or otherwise unstable internet connection? That tends to happen with high ping or packet loss.

Offline Dancho

• Mayonnaise king
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24-07-2016, 22:07:13 »
Is 50 ping considered much? I live in Bulgaria. The weird shaking happens only with the M38 and M44 carabines. It happens with other rifles but extremly rarely and when I play on Co-Op servers with above 200 ping. Can someone who used those two rifles say how they behave?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25-07-2016, 00:07:34 »
The Carbines use the 50 cal muzzle flash, which means they take a while to go out of the zoom after shooting because of the length of that animation. Maybe that is what you mean?

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25-07-2016, 06:07:04 »
Again mg34/42 are a mpmg/mmg so no hipshooting.
(even if it is possible - you can kill someone with your helmet, that doesn't mean we are going to add it ;) )

If you want to defend yourself, use your pistol !
Or even better , create a team with someone to protect you when you move from place to place

Veteran players know that you can get off a burst just by hitting your prone key and fire at the same time.  You dont have to wait to settle on the ground or aim the sights.  Ideally the MGs should only fire when prone and the sights are trained.  That gives a realistic delay so that you have to "get in position" to us the mg.  Unfortunately it seems to be an engine limitation.  I tested PR's MG kit and you can shoot it while diving too.  Not the AR but the heavy MG.  That's why I figure if they are going to blast with it, it should look somehow realistic like hip-firing.  I did notice that PR's MG was way more off centered than FH2 when firing un-aimed.  That might be something for the Devs to look into to encourage proper MG use.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25-07-2016, 08:07:41 »
It could be possible to increase deviation on diving I guess. Note that all weapons already have significant deviation after proning to curb "dolphin diving".

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25-07-2016, 09:07:54 »
I wonder if deviation would also help to avoid rifle-nade-dancers. I just hate it that when having a long range duel with another riflemen, instead of having a nice fight what I see is people dancing around waiting for the grenade to be loaded, then shoot and kill you anyway. I think that adding significant deviation when using rifle grenades and not stationary would help here, although how much is questionable given that they are AOE weapons anyway.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25-07-2016, 09:07:40 »
Can't say I experienced that a lot but here is the thing: Usually people who do the "dance" (me as well sometimes if you check out my youtube vids) don't actually shoot while moving. You stop for a second, shoot, then keep moving. Now you might say: Well, maybe deviation should take longer to settle after moving.
Thing with that is: It used to do that, but it sucked. Due to there being no cross hair and no real indication in iron sights, there is no proper way to communicate to players when your deviation is back to normal. In FH1 much of the shooting skill involved waiting for the cross hair to "close", but this dimension is gone in FH2.
So back in 2.0, many people complained about not being able to hit the target, even though they were aiming straight at it with their iron sights.
Because of this, it was changed to the current system, which itself remained unchanged since 2.4 because people are largely happy with it.

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25-07-2016, 21:07:02 »
I see the problem then. At least with MG's and AT rifles you have the bars in the bottom to indicate the spread.

Lack of communication is also present in non-english commorose commands: I can understand the english and italian ones just fine, but not the german ones (besides the "stay together" one, since Zusammen is also used in organic chemistry). It'd be nice to have icons on the map when you call them, at least for the medic and repair commands.

Sorry for going off topic btw.

Offline Dancho

• Mayonnaise king
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26-07-2016, 23:07:59 »
The Carbines use the 50 cal muzzle flash, which means they take a while to go out of the zoom after shooting because of the length of that animation. Maybe that is what you mean?
Well, maybe. Because it happens right after shooting-like that: shoot-uzoom-zoom-unzoom. What do you think about the sights and the jerky reloading animations?

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28-07-2016, 04:07:13 »
It could be possible to increase deviation on diving I guess. Note that all weapons already have significant deviation after proning to curb "dolphin diving".

That would be good.  I believe the original "dolphin diving" problem was happening at medium and long range.  Now they do it close quarters.  As I said, I tested that it was possible in PR thus maybe can't be completely fixed.  I've never seen any PR player doing it however.  Perhaps they turned the deviation up.  When it comes to riflenade dancing, maybe it can be restricted to only firing while crouched or prone.  The soon to be re-released custom Pacific mod has a "knee mortar" that only fires while prone.