Author Topic: Dirt Rally  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
Dirt Rally
« on: 10-01-2016, 01:01:23 »
It's been a while since I've posted on this form, or made a new topic, but this spiritual successor to Richard Burns Rally deserves it's own topic IMO. So, what expereiences have you got with the game so far?  I'll start by posting a link to my youtube accounts Dirt Rally playlist.
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Dirt Rally
« Reply #1 on: 10-01-2016, 02:01:40 »
I was looking into buying this game for a while. Looks really cool if you're into rally and cars. I bought Fallout 4 on sale instead tho :P

Does this game have a lot of content and types of races to do etc?

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-01-2016, 02:01:15 »
It's mostly focused on rallying and the competitive side comes from the online events where your time gets compared to other peoples times and you get more credits depending what your position on the scoreboard is. There are also PvP Multiplayer Rallycross races that I haven't actually tried myself.

At the moment it has 6 different countries (Wales, Monte Carlo or Monaco, Greece, Germany, Finland and Sweden) to drive in as well as Pikes Peak in Hillclimb. There is a wide selection of cars to choose from.

IMO the best thing is how the cars feel.With all assists off and a wheel you really feel like a rally driver. I might stream it every now and then  if I feel like doing so. There might be more content updates in the future.

Offline Pappa_bear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-02-2016, 11:02:45 »
Strange that the original WRC titles are such rubbish. The older titles from + 10 years ago still handle better then WRC 4+5 ;D

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-05-2016, 07:05:20 »
Just bought this a few weeks ago. Started with Asseto Corsa handling in mind. Realised that WRC cars has 1/4 steering rotation to full lock. Crashes, inappropriately taken jumps, mishandled "don't cut" corners, understeering into crowds. But two weeks later, I topped the AI in Bidno Moorland (Powys, Wales) with 2000s cars. Soon after, I was competitive among other drivers. Honestly, this game is brilliant.

Is there any real testimonials about its realism other than some Aussie junior rally champion (Will Orders) driving it for Youtube?

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-05-2016, 22:05:02 »
Well actually the drivers hand animations are locked to 1/4, so the actual steering lock is a lot more, if you remove the hands you'll see the wheel rotate as it should be.

BTW, PM me your steam nick so I can add you on my friends list for time comparison reasons.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-05-2016, 16:05:20 »
Ah I see... that's why I felt that the wheel travels more than it should. But minimum input my arse. Sometimes to really attack a corner, I have to put it into full lock, brake to put some grip on the front treads, and then pull the parking brake to slide the back a bit. I badly need some real tutorial and how to constantly nail a perfect corner, especially tight ones.

My Steam nick is ZooMotorPool.

Currently my best is just +4 seconds above the top AI.
« Last Edit: 09-05-2016, 16:05:15 by Zoologic »

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-05-2016, 22:05:47 »
Flicks are your friend, and the ingame tutorial videos are actually pretty good at teaching that. Have a look at all of the stuff as well as this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlBntwsOdA

Also, Steam cannot find anyone with that nickname.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-05-2016, 05:05:20 »
I really need to hone my skills pretty bad. Some of the in game tutorial, especially how to flick it using momentum still doesn't match my timing in most hairpins.

Apologise for my mistake, the nickname should be yohnsy (all small caps).