Author Topic: Need help! Win 8.1 FH2 extreme stutter/unplayable  (Read 500 times)

Offline Smallest_army

• View Profile
Need help! Win 8.1 FH2 extreme stutter/unplayable
« on: 01-11-2015, 15:11:12 »
Hi folks,

I have a big issue with my FH2 mod.

I got a new Laptop with Win 8.1, i7 - 5500 Processor, 12GB RAM and Intel HD 5500 graphic card.
I installed BF2, all the patches and then FH2 via the mod launcher. The game ran absolutely perfect on max settings on all maps. Also the maps loaded really quickly when I played coop/singleplayer.

Two weeks ago this completely changed...I first started noticing that maps took ages (10min) to load. Then the window which let's you select your class only loaded in after 1 minute (before it was instantly).

After a few days some maps started to stutter extremely from the start on (most 64 player maps) and others (he 32 maps) started stuttering 20 minutes or so into a game. The game has become absolutely unplayable...

However when I create a local server and start a round of conquest (multiplayer) there are non of these issues...the maps load fast and there is no stutter what so ever, no matter the settings.

First I thought about malware slowing down my PC but I couldn't find any. I tried with turning off anti-aliasing aswell as reducing graphic settings in general but it didn't help. I also tried de-installing and re-installing.

I really love the game and I hope someone might have a solution to my problem ::) ???

Thank you very much!

Cheers,

Marc

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
Re: Need help! Win 8.1 FH2 extreme stutter/unplayable
« Reply #1 on: 01-11-2015, 21:11:38 »
I have Win 8.1 and an i5.  I play all BF2 mods in windowed mode.  You might also try compatibility mode as well.

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-11-2015, 10:11:42 »
Laptops suddenly losing a lot of performance most likely are overheating problems from blocked airflow.
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-11-2015, 18:11:59 »
Laptops suddenly losing a lot of performance most likely are overheating problems from blocked airflow.
and blocked airflow dries your laptop's guts and then you need to reaply the thermal grease or CPU won't stop overheating. Does your laptop overheats when stuttering starts? maybe try using a cooling pad to see if it's temperature related?

Offline Smallest_army

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-11-2015, 20:11:49 »
Hi,

thanks for the answers!

I tried windowed mode and at first it ran great, but then there was the stutter again.

No overheating! The laptop stays absolutely cool when running the game, even for longer. Today it got sligthly warm but only while running 3 very big programs at the same time.

Can it be something in the PC settings that I maybe changed by accident? I also tried other games and BF2 vanilla and there were absolutely no problems.

Please feel free to share your thoughts, suggestions etc. :)

Cheers, Marc

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03-11-2015, 17:11:22 »
Did pc by accident update/install any drivers/hardware the last 14 days?
Play fh2 in windowed mode while carefully study/monitor what is going on in windows background : process/services/temperature etc.

check
HDD : enough free space left on drive ?
Powerprofile :  High performance
make sure cpu is not clocking down/throttling while gaming
make sure your pc do not want to save power in any way while gaming
try to disable wi-fi & bluetooth if its on
try in taskmanager right click "forgottenhope2.exe" -> Set Affinity..-> only Cpu 0 ticked

Most manufactors use the cheapest quality thermal grease or cpu/gpu paste spreaded on like thick mayonaise. Do not mess with it unless you know what you are doing. It is usually ok for at least 2 years just like warranty ;D

Offline Smallest_army

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-11-2015, 10:11:07 »
ALubat you are a genius! :D

And I'm pretty stupid...laptop was in energy safe mode even when branched with the cable. Changed that plus affinity and now runs great again!

Thanks so much!

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04-11-2015, 15:11:10 »
That's great to hear! :)

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06-11-2015, 22:11:43 »
ALubat you are a genius! :D

And I'm pretty stupid...laptop was in energy safe mode even when branched with the cable. Changed that plus affinity and now runs great again!

Thanks so much!

Glad I could help  :)