Author Topic: FH2 Standalone (Discussion Only)  (Read 9546 times)

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
FH2 Standalone (Discussion Only)
« on: 04-06-2015, 20:06:16 »
 With PR v1.3 Standalone being a HUGE success with more players joining everyday & server populations exploding, the path for FH2's future has been paved.....

I'm sure im not the only one in this community interested in exploring the possibilities this would offer FH2 in its current state.

I will start with 3 basic questions:

(1) Is it possible for FH2 to do this (manpower/technical skill) ?

(2) Are there development benefits for "FH2 Standalone" without the need of BF2 files (less restrictions/easier to mod)?

(3) With EA basically walking away from BF2, do the devs foresee any legal action towards PR for doing this?

8)
« Last Edit: 05-06-2015, 01:06:23 by Jimi Hendrix »

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
Re: FH2 Standalone (Discussion Only)
« Reply #1 on: 04-06-2015, 21:06:32 »
I agree that this is the way to go if we want Forgotten Hope Two to return to it's glorious days, this, and better advertising.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-06-2015, 21:06:26 »
I'm sure the devs will have better answers but my guess would be:

1) Maybe, but it WILL delay any further releases if they decide to do it.
2) I'd say no, as it's basically just removing the parts they don't use and keeping those they do use. The source code still remains locked and inaccessible in one of DICE's vaults...
3) This is really up to EA. But a few thousand players is hardly a dent in the popular EA games populations, so I don't see why would they... Unless they are planning on releasing something like Battlefield 1944 soon...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-06-2015, 21:06:08 »
(1) Is it possible for FH2 to do this (manpower/technical skill) ?

Yes

(2) Are there development benefits for "FH2 Standalone" without the need of BF2 files (less restrictions/easier to mod)?

Probably not, although theoretically it would be possible to port the mod over to the BF2142 engine, which has more features. If this is practical we do not know.

(3) With EA basically walking away from BF2, do the devs foresee and legal action towards PR for doing this?

Nobody knows, we will just have to wait.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-06-2015, 03:06:42 »
The existence of PR standalone means that PR fans new and old don't need to have BF2 installed, thus they will probably never play FH2.    I don't know how many FH2 players came from the PR community but we wont see any new ones in the future.  FH2 standalone would remove the cumbersome step of getting BF2.

Probably not, although theoretically it would be possible to port the mod over to the BF2142 engine, which has more features. If this is practical we do not know.

We need this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6fiMPNBwD8

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-06-2015, 08:06:09 »
Thats true,now nothing connects PR and FH2 and little players will transfer fron PR to FH2.
STANDALONE
This is the best FH2 can do in his era.Players dont need to do million steps with BF2,patches and then FH.Thats why few my friends didnt install it. With this you will say: Install launcher and it will do the rest. PR now gets a lot of new players and 3-4 full servers is best they can.
P.S. If FH2 is standalone what will be with Editor and mapping,do you then still need BF2 installed?

ADVERTISMENT
This is very important. PR has nice,catchie name and everyone who wants to play realistic game goes on google and writes: Reality games. On the first page you can find games and PR which is now STANALONE.
We should be connected with PR and their community so FH2 is promoted there too.
They have a lot of videos on youtube and one reason is their recorder which makes this easier. Also there is Bluedrake with 60 000 subsribers promoting PR on big.
This is what we need: Nice name that will ww2 gamers easly find(I still like FH2 ), someone who is active upload FH2 videos and promote in gamers world,FB,Twiter, and even Steam(dont discus about this one). There is LordMasta but he isnt so much followed. But who is willing to promote pretty old game on old BF2 engine?
« Last Edit: 05-06-2015, 08:06:44 by Ivancic1941 »
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-06-2015, 10:06:04 »
We need this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6fiMPNBwD8

That's it, porting over to 2142 this instant.  ;D

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05-06-2015, 11:06:41 »
2142 engine has it's own new set of problems with the login servers etc. + it would take a lot of work to port it over even if the 2 games are very similar in structure.

We are of course aware of all the benefits of making fh2 standalone, and it is being discussed internally. We will see what the conclusion is. Of course the legal bit is the only thing really stopping us. I cannot predict how EA will react on this.

Offline gamerjer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-06-2015, 11:06:23 »
Awesome  ;D btw about the EA problem cant you contact them about this? To see what they would say about it  ;)

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05-06-2015, 11:06:42 »
Sure, but on the other hand that might open another can of worms :)

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05-06-2015, 13:06:33 »
2142 engine has it's own new set of problems with the login servers etc. + it would take a lot of work to port it over even if the 2 games are very similar in structure.

We are of course aware of all the benefits of making fh2 standalone, and it is being discussed internally. We will see what the conclusion is. Of course the legal bit is the only thing really stopping us. I cannot predict how EA will react on this.

My profession is not law, but i did sleep @ a Motel 6 last night  :P .....
......would like to point out the following:

- EA ceasing support of Battlefield 2 and removing it from online stores also occurred with another of their gaming series called Command & Conquer: Renegade

A popular mod of that game was allowed by EA just last year to go standalone.

From Wikipedia -Renegade X is a standalone game created by an independent volunteer development studio, Totem Arts. The studio released open beta, freeware version of the game on February 26, 2014.

-  as long as it remains a free game

- Apparently some EA Devs(rumor) are fans of PR & PR-Standalone would have received a cease-&-desist by now

- FH2 should relish the role as PR's little brother in this and reap the rewards

;)
« Last Edit: 05-06-2015, 14:06:25 by Jimi Hendrix »

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05-06-2015, 13:06:38 »
But I don't get it... PR devs were allowed to release standalone mode, but we don't? Seems fair...  ::)

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05-06-2015, 13:06:32 »
 Here is an interesting thread from 4 years ago..........

http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=16197.0

;)

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05-06-2015, 13:06:48 »
There are more important problems that should be fixed about retaining newcomers which is something I posted about in the PR thread, before we discuss improving the means of access imo. Because this doesn't really bring anything to the core set of players but instead helps people who don't have battlefield 2 which something we all here do.
« Last Edit: 05-06-2015, 13:06:07 by Airshark79 »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05-06-2015, 14:06:01 »
But I don't get it... PR devs were allowed to release standalone mode, but we don't? Seems fair...  ::)

PR also aren't technically allowed, it's just the question if EA will do anything about it (they have the right to shut it down)