Author Topic: Heros and Generals  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
Heros and Generals
« on: 19-04-2015, 01:04:52 »
Has anyone played this yet?  If so what is your opinion of the game?
http://www.heroesandgenerals.com/community/news

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Heros and Generals
« Reply #1 on: 19-04-2015, 01:04:28 »
The thread is here:

http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=16313.msg319948;topicseen#msg319948

I played during the beta and I wasn't impressed. Small maps, small teams, arcade gameplay. The campaign thingy was a decent idea but it was usually just whoever could spam more resources faster. Dunno if anything changed since (apart from adding the Russians as the third faction that can fight both the US and Germans - whatever was left of historical accuracy went right down the drain there...)
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19-04-2015, 13:04:22 »
As otolikos got addicted to it recently  :P, I thought I would give it a spin aswell again, as I haven't played it for a while. Keep in mind that it is beta, so it is subject to change and if you don't like it, it is good to come back at it once in a while to see how it has changed. Anyway, I think it is sometimes difficult to give a balanced review as we are quite spoiled with FH2. That said, H&G has some ideas and features that make it really shine from my POV and where I can see that people will have fun with it. For me it is something like the successor of BF 1942. There is no historical accuracy or something like that and it is more a fun/arcade game compared to FH2.

First of all it plays like 1942 in terms of damage model. How the weapons feel etc it is quite similar. Not the 1S1K gameplay from FH2, what I prefer. So don't expect to kill people with a bolt action rifle with one shot. This works exactly like in BF 1942 where you always needed two shots except you hit the head. This is a bit of an balancing issue as semi auto rifles are always better. Besides this fact you can still tune and tweak the weapons, vehicles and ammunition to your likings. But this leads to another problem in this game - the grinding. When you really want to have fun in this game and to get the good stuff, you have to play quite long. On the other hand you get the opportunity to fit your soldier a certain play style. You can play different characters and play different carreer ladders with them. So basicly infantry, tanker or pilot. For all three factions this leads to many different possiblities how you want to play and how you buy (with ingame currency, not real moeny) and equip your characters.

In terms of maps it really depends on the gamemode that you play. There are some quite big conquest maps and they are more like the old BF1942 maps, so quite big and open. But they are nowhere near the quality or level of detail of FH2 or RO2. So the immersion lacks a bit and you never feel like that you are fighting in a certain area or theater.

What I really like about the game is the implementation of animations and interaction between players and the environment/vehicles. The whisteling to make people pick you up really works and you have a better spawn system than in FH2. The animations for the tanks and vehicles are outstanding and it feels really fluid. Only downside is that the infantry movement is kind of wierd. The minimap is nicely implemented into the game as the soldier really holds it in his hands. All of this is vissible also from 3rd person. You can really see when a tank commander turns out the hatch and opens his minimap. As a tank commander you can take cover behind the hatch. Vehicles are teamlocked, but you have the ability to unlock and steal vehicles. This works quite good aswell, as it is a nice compromise between the stealing and raping in BF 1942 and the teamlocked tanks and planes in FH2.

The campaign mode is not really working tbh, but they implemented staged battles to give the possibility for more balanced gameplay. All I can say is, that you should give it a try. It has some things that are really worth to take a look at and there are some issues that you have to look over. It is not a huge download so it is easily uninstalled incase you don't like it.

Kubelaction with 6 people?  ;D

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19-04-2015, 17:04:28 »
Im waiting to play this when they add the brits, any word on that?

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19-04-2015, 20:04:57 »
I don't know how far they are in terms of adding CW factions. I didn't follow the development that closely. But you can still give it a go until Brits arrive. You are not forced to play for one faction anymore and there is plenty of stuff to try out allready.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-04-2015, 23:04:03 »
Also I shudder to think what kind of weapons the Brits will have to "balance" against all the semi auto rifles.

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27-09-2016, 18:09:35 »
released some days ago :-)

Heroes & Generals – The Ultimate WW2 Game [Launch Trailer]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8aU08c1zHY

Heroes & Generals Launch Devstream!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ-08-KJGxI

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27-09-2016, 19:09:24 »
Tried it yeasterday again. It could be really nice game, but the overall gameplay feel is just somehow off. Hit's don't always feel to register and there seems to be constant delay on everything. Also the fact that graphically it's very simple looking, yet somehow my PC can't run steady fps on highest settings.

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-09-2016, 21:09:38 »
Just played my first couple of rounds
Battlefield 1942 meets the free old Wolfenstein multiplayer

Gun sounds like old ww2 arcade game
Movement seems limited somehow. jumping is like no gravity
Cant see ping in ms :-(
A lot of Zzzzz waiting time between map loads

But I had fun and will try it again :-)

Offline Mane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15-10-2016, 08:10:28 »
I followed this game since... Two years maybe, I don't remember well, but I'm more disappointed now.

There was a time when I couldn't play it anymore because it was really impossible, the graphics looked bad, the fps... Well, low memory thanks to Win 7 32bit. But before this I played it and was fun, I liked it.

A couple of months ago I played it again (now with 64bits) and... Oh man, that was impossible to play. The movements are really slow with delay and there's a lot of snipers who kill you at once.

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08-01-2017, 12:01:37 »
The Russian AVS-36 is a beast. Has anybody noticed the similarity between Heroes and Generals with FH2? Strangely, FH2's graphics are better!
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)