Author Topic: New copy of BF2, trouble installing  (Read 471 times)

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
New copy of BF2, trouble installing
« on: 04-01-2015, 02:01:47 »
Earlier today I got my hands on a copy of BF2 complete collection, brand new, wrapped and sealed, etc. I have for the past several hours tried to install it to no avail.

My first problem is that my PC won't even read the disc, just makes a few noises for half a minute before finally giving up. This is only for this disc, all others work perfectly fine. At the same time it can be read by my WinXP laptop, and my WinVista notebook, I've yet to test with my Win7 laptop, Windows 7 being what I currently have.

Second problem, being that I was able to get it to read just fine on the other computers, I made an ISO from the disc to port over to the desktop PC. I should first mention that all the disc files were there as they should be, so far nothing really points to a problem with my copy. Autorun.exe, working ok at first, I select the language, I get to the menu, and I press Install. The BF2 splash screen shows up, and then it's gone, nothing after that, no installation processes running in the background, nothing. That didn't work so this next time I ran setup.exe from the disc (ISO), starting install shield wizard, and then bam, setup.exe has stopped working. I had hoped this dirty workaround would work but not really, I could screw around extracting cab files but I'll save that for last.

Third problem, or rather hypothetical problem/solution, is this: Could I perhaps attempt to install on one of my other computers and manually move the installed files over to this one? I might end up with missing registry files in this case, which has me asking, is there any precautions I should be taking? I've done it just fine with other EA games in the past which wouldn't install on this PC but would on others, but I'm a tad over-cautious considering that I just bought this three days ago. So far I've only tested reading the disc, I'll attempt to install on the other PC soon and if that fails then it's not on my end.

Finally just to clarify, this is what my copy looks like:

Appreciate all the help. In a few days it will probably be exactly an entire year since I last played BF2/FH2.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: New copy of BF2, trouble installing
« Reply #1 on: 04-01-2015, 10:01:43 »
Can't you just get the ISO off.. somewhere else and then install it with your key?

That's an awful lot od work for a game that's not  even officially supported anymore...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Khaine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-01-2015, 12:01:43 »
Yes download the game on P2P, as long as you have bough the game it's legal, and see if it works.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-01-2015, 18:01:29 »
Well I'm too far in to do that now and plus I wouldn't be surprised if it's entire Windows 7 related so the risk of having the same problem is there. I'll consider it if all else fails though, but I've managed to get the game to run by installing on another PC and moving files. Briefly, how do I go about creating a new account for FH2? Also I firmly believe now that I will have to fiddle about with the registry since when I tried to install PR it couldn't find my BF2 and version number.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-01-2015, 18:01:37 »
Thanks to everyone who tried to help where they could but I may have it under control now, registry entries are in. Here's the Win 7 64bit code for anyone in the future with my problem, just replace !!!CDKEYHERE!!! with your key.

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2]
"Language"="English"
"Locale"="en_US"
"InstallDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\EA GAMES\\Battlefield 2"
"Version"="1.5"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc]
@="x9392!!!CDKEYHERE!!!"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\wdc]
@="true"

Won't be surprised if there are more problems later but I could probably figure it out.