Author Topic: Spotters only call out "unit" instead of "plane", "tank", "infantry" etc.  (Read 323 times)

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
What the title says.
When I am spotting/other people are spotting I only hear unit. Whatever gets spotted is shown on the map, but instead of saying infantry/tank/scout/plane I only hear "unit". It's starting to get on my nerves.

I've tried the repair function, didn't help.

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Your copy is not bugged, it's the standard behavior since 2.47. This was, quoting the changelog, "[an] attempt in reducing spotting and vehicle spam":
- Spotting, both infantry and in vehicles: all spotting messages should be heard and seen in the chat only locally, in the range of about 50m from the spotter. The blinking markers are still visible to the whole team. An enemy can hear the messages too, if he's within the same 50m.
- Vehicles, including artillery, planes and ships: all messages should be heard only locally too, both by friends and enemies, with the exception of "Bail out" (sounds only within the vehicle) and "Artillery ready for barrage" (heard by the whole team and local enemies)
As it turned out lately, this change also switched off "saying infantry/tank/scout/plane", unless you select infantry/etc specifically in the commorose.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Ah, that clears things up.

Radio block would be more effective in my eyes(or ears).
I also wondered about the enemy suddenly talking in my ear, clear as a day, but now I know. Any way to "corrupt" those enemy radio messages to simulate that it's an interference? Or crank the radius down to 20-30 meters and have positional audio so you can hear where it's coming from?

All in all good intentions, but I sadly don't like it.

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál