Author Topic: Forgotten Honor Presents: "Deployable Static Weapons"  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Honor Presents: "Deployable Static Weapons"
« Reply #15 on: 25-10-2014, 14:10:53 »
Cool feature and thanks for all the effort being put into it. This gives a lot more possibilities, especially for AA vs airforce battles. I think some maps can profit from this if it's ever put in offical FH2, but not all.

The drawbacks are pretty clear, but maybe they can be ironed out later. One of them shows in the vid: placing an AT 88 on top of a roof is kind of ridiculous.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25-10-2014, 14:10:13 »
Would it be possible not to be able to deploy on static objects or is the engine retarded enough not to identify between heightmap and statics?

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25-10-2014, 15:10:22 »
Well pardon me for not knowing much Python and not playing BF2 for almost an entire year, but I believe yes. The ammo box could possibly detect what it is coliding with and run a check to see if it is terrain or something else.

I also like the idea of instead having them loaded into vehicles. Already I believe we have seen Bofors on the top of hay stacks and Pak40s inside the top floor of ruined buildings.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25-10-2014, 16:10:46 »
You are pardoned. It was not aimed at you or anyone else, so dont have to get effing pissy about anything. I was simply questioning wether the engine has a flexibility which would help those who code such features as presented here to not be deployed on statics, to avoid placing things in completely silly locations.
« Last Edit: 25-10-2014, 16:10:45 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25-10-2014, 16:10:08 »
The static gun moves as fast as the hanomag you are in, there is a dismantle and a setup period totaling a minute and that I think is fitting to the pace. Surely many guns were placed in and on top of houses in the war, and forgive me if I am making a mistake with this statement, but the dragging system some think is doomed to fuckups with refractor (Like orbital PaK's we sometimes get with vFH2) and will also never be as neat as the system is now. Even the dragged pak in supercharge cannot respawn and cannot be remounted.

Maybe common sense need to weigh in with haystacks and huts. Or we could look at how PR deals with TOW or FOB deployment.
« Last Edit: 25-10-2014, 16:10:38 by Airshark79 »

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26-10-2014, 02:10:55 »
I'd rather have buggy guns in weird places than the current practice of tanks fog-firing at pre-learned positions and planes bombing/strafing preset AA positions from further away than the AA can see the plane.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26-10-2014, 09:10:53 »
I feel something like this could even go in the official game IF you make it limited to the
Commander. That way the bugginess and abuse potential would be limited and the Commander would suddenly become valuable again... Hell you could even give him all kinds of weapons to setup through the commo-rose... But don't give him the wrench so the other engineers need to set it up. Would promote teamplay for mutual benefits (repair points)
« Last Edit: 26-10-2014, 09:10:24 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26-10-2014, 10:10:17 »
I'd rather have buggy guns in weird places than the current practice of tanks fog-firing at pre-learned positions and planes bombing/strafing preset AA positions from further away than the AA can see the plane.

For example Op. Luttich:
You take Panther, drive towards town and what first thing you do when you notice shapes of the building near the AT gun? Fire to its side wall of course! Result: the poor guy manning this AT gun (which of course you didn't see) is dead!

This improvement is one of the greatest changes to this mod. I think the importance of it I can compare with angle mode addition. Now every round of the same map can have sth new thanks to this. Anyway I dreamt about deployable statics for a long time. Didn't expect that it can be implemented. So really nice work done by Harmonikater! Well done!

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26-10-2014, 11:10:47 »
You want to try deployable statics? It is only one click away:

http://www.forgottenhonor.com/modules.php?name=Register&tourney=7

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26-10-2014, 18:10:12 »
I feel something like this could even go in the official game IF you make it limited to the
Commander. That way the bugginess and abuse potential would be limited and the Commander would suddenly become valuable again... Hell you could even give him all kinds of weapons to setup through the commo-rose... But don't give him the wrench so the other engineers need to set it up. Would promote teamplay for mutual benefits (repair points)
This sounds like a good idea, but what about limiting it to a commander vehicle so you can drive it to the place were you want your AA/AT gun, drop the spawner and then need enginneer to set it up? In this way you not only make commander valuable again but also prevents players from placing guns in weird places like roofs.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26-10-2014, 18:10:52 »
I like how it works, but I think it would be better if the box would be dropped by the commander, not taken out of the pocket of the engineer.

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26-10-2014, 19:10:45 »
Too tedious. Com. cannot handle 7-10 assets and the engis need to wait before he deals with others.

I think people need to join the campaign before fixing it. The mod is on at any battle.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26-10-2014, 22:10:19 »
Too tedious. Com. cannot handle 7-10 assets and the engis need to wait before he deals with others.

Exactly. It's a matter of strategy and interesting choices. Do I reinforce the left flank with some extra oomph or the right? Or maybe the center is the better choice since Charlie squad spotted some enemy tanks moving in towards it...

An experienced Commander with a dedicated engi squad could actually be useful and wanted on the frontline instead of banished to his radio post (and those silly transport jeeps that people now use just for rushing flags would finally get a purpose of enabling the commander to ride around the front quickly and setup extra defenses).

OR you could limit the commander to seeding only heavier assets (88s/Bofors/Pak40s/75mm AT) and put some pickup kits that can place only lighter stuff (such as AA .50 cal / light AT guns).

Also, think of the metagame. Killing the enemy commander means they would have reduced capability to bring in heavier assets to the frontline. His armored truck / staff car / jeep would be a prime target for ground attack planes.
« Last Edit: 26-10-2014, 22:10:07 by LuckyOne »

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
« Reply #28 on: 27-10-2014, 13:10:01 »
Speed is the key, that's why the current system works the best.

You can wait for a commander to find his seat and start deploying, waiting for an engineer to set it up. All nice ideas, really. But hey guys, this is a game where first shot happens 10 second after round starts, people don't have hours to set this stuff up like in RL.

You need to do it fast and effective in this fast gameplay. Only way to do it is like this. If you put it on a Hanomag for example, it still needs to drive the distance and try to stay alive, then have to set it up...

Too slow for a fast game. If the maps were 3-4 times bigger then it could be possible.  ;)
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27-10-2014, 17:10:51 »
^ Uh... maybe we should consider slowing the game down then, instead of accepting arcade compromises :P

Nah, I'm kidding, I was thinking this could be more suitable for maps like Siege of Tobruk or Alam Halfa where the Commander could work on the second line with a dedicated squad while the first line tries to hold. The more they hold the better the chance of having some proper defenses set up to fall back on... Cobra could work too. Basically any push map would work with the slower system...