Author Topic: How to?  (Read 521 times)

Offline kruiser86

• View Profile
How to?
« on: 24-08-2014, 08:08:17 »
I have just recently gotten back to playing FH2. It says I am up to date with the game. My problem is I start it as usual. The screen pop's up with; Play, Options or Exit. I press play. I get the little blue circle, like it's loading, then nothing. I can play all my other BF2 games, no problem. When I bring up  Task Manage, it is not apparently running. If go to more detail's, I find it is like the SIXTH item running in the background APP's. How do I get to run, normally like the others? My computer is a laptop w/ Windows 8.1. I have not noticed or seen this happen with any of my other games.  Also this problem is a recent one. but I have never used the Game Spy.

Before this my biggest problem was loading a map and sometimes right away, sometimes half way thru the battle it would CTD, for no apparent reason. Most of the time I would just reload and play a different map. I can't remember the maps exactly. I know one was set in North Africa, Am Hal?? I think. I can't find out because of the other problem I noted above
S. M. Kruchell

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
Re: How to?
« Reply #1 on: 24-08-2014, 11:08:05 »
To start the game, you just start the launcher, as you did, and press "play". From there the game starts as normal, as it did years before and you should end up in the main menu, where you can choose to use Single player, Multiplayer etc.. So from the looks of it, everything should be fine with your installation.

I have no experience with FH2 and Windows 8, but first of all, you maybe should try to run the .exe in compatibility mode and as an administrator. My second guess would be, if your screen goes black, but it didn't load the game, you may have a firewall, which askes you to allow connection (to the game spy replacement server). During that the loading of the game is put on halt.
If none of them above works, start the game in windowed mode, to see of any error messages appear.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-08-2014, 15:08:43 »
I run FH2 on WIn 8.1 without problems. I have made an exception in my antivirus program for FH2, and I run it as admin. Furthermore, you should check if you have an account selected, that might help too.

Offline kruiser86

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24-08-2014, 20:08:14 »
Everything starts as normal. No matter if I start it with or without admin, it still ends up in the background apps on the task manager. Even after I end the tasks on other apps, it still doesn't start. Another thing, I noticed, when I went into the actual file I found 60 unzipped files. Do I unzip them and where do I put them when unzipped? If I have to unzip/ extract them will they install themselves?
S. M. Kruchell

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-08-2014, 21:08:20 »
With ziped files, I guess you mean things like "common_client.zip" or "objects_vehicle_gb_1.zip" ... or whatever they are called. You don't need to unzip them. The game runs from these zipped files. Did you try to repair your installation by the repair/update button in the laucher? If there is anything missing or wrong, the launcher will detect that and download it. If the launcher says your game has the most recent version, than everything should be fine. Then the problem is somewhere else, I would assume. Did you just try, just for testing, to deactivate your Antivirus and/or firewall?

Offline kruiser86

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25-08-2014, 00:08:34 »
miOk I thought as much, thanks.
As for the game. Like I said, it doesn't matter if I run with/ without admin, I get the launch screen  hit play and after a minute or two, noting happens. I have checked the firewall and anti virus, no problems there. Beside in my experience I am asked to continue or being told it's getting shut down. I SHOWS UP IN THE TASK MANAGER AS A BACKGROUND APP. HOW DO I FIX IT. It has told me it is up to date. When I repair it , it downloads and installs a torrent in about a minute or two then has the PLAY button ready. Then it all starts again. THIS IS GETTING VERY FRUSTRATING.
S. M. Kruchell

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25-08-2014, 22:08:46 »
I have no clue, I have never heard of this before. Maybe some dumb setting in 8.1 is set on "run as background program" or something.  ???