Author Topic: Forgotten Hope Weekly Highlights  (Read 17450 times)

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope Weekend Highlights
« Reply #45 on: 04-08-2014, 17:08:41 »
Played yesterday on Alam Halfa, it usually is one of those maps that, though i like them, i'll play horribly, be it on the UK or German side.

Predicting that i went spotter in the german side just to try to do something, turns out it was a great match! All our artillery were being used, and i was the only spotter. Ran around Auto-Saharan company/Long Range Desert Group style from the first 2 british sectors to their last flag. At the 2nd sector i continuously spotted the british Anti tank guns and their flag zones. Way inside the frontlines, when our team was still consolidating the first sector, i was just above a little sand "hill" to the right of the western UK flag in the centre of the map, looking upon the destruction i was coordinating...

Every anti gun that was manned was soon destroyed, their infantry went running around in desperation for cover, not many of that in a desert... After the flag was capped by a infantry squad, i did the same to the eastern flag, full barrage went down, and another infantry squad greyed it when the mortars stopped and i joined in to cap. One of the english main base were already capped, and i continued spotting their last one until friendlies were danger close... Then went in to the flagzone as well.

We cap when it was 25-300 for the brits, the map ends 3-0 for us jerries  ;D
And i was the highest score on the match, 115, with 110 teamwork points and 50 Mortar assists. Was awesome.

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04-08-2014, 18:08:06 »
yeah, i was prob. 20 of those deaths....  im pretty sure your binocs were focused on my head!   :P

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05-08-2014, 00:08:40 »
Just now we finished a round of Fall of Tobruk and I started a squad named "Often dead" because I usually die more than I kill, so members would know that my SL spawnpoint wasn't always available. The map before was Port en Bessin and we had stomped against the last flag, only to see the Germans return from a beaten position, and it made us a tad angry, because the map before that, Falaise Piocket, had been quiet a steamroll for our team.

OK, back to Tobruk: a tough start, where only one flag was ours (first Outskirts, then Officer's Building, then Outskirts again), as we couldn't keep more than one at a time, or so it seemed. My squad, with guys such as psykfallet, QPS_a_civilian and a guy named The Spine or something like that (excuse me if I misspelled it) and a few more (pls don't be offended if I didn't remember all your nicks) was attacking both flags at different times, and when we finally got both at the same time, we moved on to Plaza.

Fights were chaotic, and indeed we were often dead, as in the name of the squad. We capped Plaza and then another squad moved in for Town Center but when they couldn't cap we tried to help out but lost Plaza in the process. Capping Plaza back was not too difficult, a few smokes in the bunker and there we went: it was ours again. Then Town Center got capped too, so our commander, who was sometimes bit unlucky with his arty, ordered us to go for Church, while squad 2 went for Harbour. We were still bleeding and something like 300 tickets behind.

Charge for the Church: I chose to be a bit sneaky and took one of the more covered routes to church. I blew away some enemies before my squadmates went in and capped church. We finally had them on the bleed! Victory was shortlived however, as we lost it again and we even got pushed back to Town Center which was briefly in British hands again. I was getting pissed and a tad hopeless, but we recapped Town Center and then Church was defended quite strongly, so I went for the mainbase flag, as Harbour had been capped while we were at Church. Me and a few mates managed to grey it, but then I got killed so I tried again. After yet another stranded attempt at capping mainbase flag, we went to attack Church again. Defense was now split, as the Brits had noticed our attempts at capping mainbase.

I looked at the score and saw that the continuous bleed had bled the Brits out and now we were finally on something equal when it came to tickets. They were still bleeding, so itr would become tight: only 45 tickets left at that moment. I accidentally left the squad (I pushed the wrong order button - Del) and rejoined. We had Church grey and were about to cap it. We capped it indeed, under fire from a Stuart and lots of smoke, but our Panzer IV D gave some great support. In the end we were being mowed down by a Vickers, but even that couldn't stop the inevitable: we won 29-0. "Often dead" was best German squad :)

A big thanks to all who were in "Often dead" squad tonight, I had great fun!
« Last Edit: 05-08-2014, 00:08:09 by Slayer »

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 05-08-2014, 07:08:37 »
was it still the weekend where you are?   :-*

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 05-08-2014, 10:08:59 »
Yes, we have a very long weekend over here, it is called summer holidays ;)

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 05-08-2014, 10:08:04 »
We should rename it to "weekly highlights". Discussion done.  ;)

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06-08-2014, 02:08:02 »
"Ten mangy dogs can kill a lion." - Marc Antony (HBO Rome)
Favourite character in my favourite show, wonderful!

Great action today, had a round of Fall of Tobruk as a German that was back-and-forth forever.  Hell of a fight.  I was so intensly nvested that when the next round started and I had switched teams, I plugged the first Brit I saw because the last game had gotten me so hyped up.  Oops!  To all of you who like playing SL, keep it up, there has really been a plethora of very fun and team-like squads lately. 

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06-08-2014, 09:08:39 »
Im happy because there are still 60-70 people in this mod like me
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06-08-2014, 13:08:55 »
I think I played the same round as Pyjama (at least got frequently killed by your Stielhandgranate ;)). Had a great time with a communicationally passive but in terms of movement and staying alive great squadleader Lydecker.

Personally I had fun as I finised first, got that Rifleman Gold Badge and most teamwork points at the same time.

Therefore one of the best rounds I have played lately. Was kind of a tough fight for victory as we lost the first 2 flags very quickly in the beginning, but kept an amazing defense up in the Plaza, Center and harbour flags, always recapping something at the right time. Agree with Pyjama that this round was very intense and a very tough fight at all times.

Would be nice to have balanced battles like this every day.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope Weekly Highlights
« Reply #54 on: 09-08-2014, 00:08:12 »
Today on Operation Cobra we on the German side were treated to a horrific demonstration of Allied air superiority.  Irish told me to man the FlaKvierling on the crossroads, which being a dutiful German I did.  I think the Americans bombed me to death about every 2 minutes, I could not even fix the damn thing.  And the Luftwaffe, of course, was nowhere to be found.

It is amazing that even in such an absolutely unrewarding round FH2 is still a bunch of fun.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 16-08-2014, 09:08:26 »
Sorry to all those I kicked yesterday from my squad -- Especially you, K

I didn't use to be kind of Squad leader who did, but I found out how to once after countless times,
Realizing how the battle is flowing, finding a strategic place to be, sending out an Attack here order (Even explaining WHY that order), maneuvering into position under risky conditions and realizing I have just one or two of my squad mates following (rather than being in front of me).

Hence I get killed and wonder why the rest of my squad IS my squad. So Like a commisar, I make examples,
Causing new squad mates to be 50:50 rebels:devoted versus the 100% rebels I was having to put up with.

It's not a fun decision, because some times I have to kick good players and people who made for some great teamwork in previous maps. But without cohesion, my team eventually drains of people who joined for teamplay and are instead seeing a SL who is running one way and a squad doing anything else. 

Still, I feel rotten kicking people. Especially decent players like you, K.
I honestly do.

What I try to do is create an opportunity for a few sophisticated players to experience the best of FH2 by being strategic. Some times it means adding that extra thrust to the attack that kicks down the enemy's door.
Some times it means plugging the holes in the line where ever it appears or doing spoiling attacks on enemy's pooling for an attack that might otherwise succeed.

But my favorite is going left when the rest of the force is going right and fighting a battle of attrition, where skill counts for nothing.

We go left and often run into an enemy elite force doing the exact same thing, and it becomes a thrilling battle of maneuver and outwitting a competent squad leader and a crack team like mine.

We experienced this on Villers earlier in that game and it was such a thrill -- Although, to be fair, we were the losers in that fight, when their Panther and Panzer IV showed up and we couldn't successfully remove them before the enemy eventually located where my squad was spawning -- me.
« Last Edit: 16-08-2014, 09:08:17 by djinn »

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 16-08-2014, 10:08:09 »
Yesterday I had some great rounds on several maps with other people from FHT. My favorite round was Omaha yesterday. I have never played Omaha as a german from the beginning on. I always felt kind of bad, when sitting in your defences and just killing poor people storming over the beaches. But yesterday I liked the really desperate feeling on the germans side. Again this was on of these "battlefield Forgooten Hope" moments. You know, that eventually you will loose the flags, but you keep up fighting. I was awesome to see all those smoke grenades popping up followed by waves of 15-20 GIs. You couldn't kill them all. Eventually the captured WN 71 and 72, but we could camp ourselves in.

@Djinn: Sorry for kicking you yesterday out of the squad, but we had 8+ ppl in Teamspeak. You are free to join up though.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 16-08-2014, 13:08:44 »
Ye we had a full F|H squad with everyone on TS yesterday and had quite some impact on the game as well as fun. I just played way too much that evening, so concentration and therefore fun quickly drained for me. Vossenack, Omaha (although I felt kinda bad for killing ppl with that H39 turret) and Port en Bessin were great fun though.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 16-08-2014, 22:08:57 »
Not at all, Oberst. You were kind enough to let me know once I was out of the squad, so I totally understood  ;D

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 17-08-2014, 18:08:20 »
Sorry to all those I kicked yesterday from my squad -- Especially you, K
Nah, it was my fault for soloing across the map. Which is why I asked the permission to rejoin once I decided to teamplay again ;)