Author Topic: Forgotten Hope Weekly Highlights  (Read 17422 times)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope Weekly Highlights
« Reply #165 on: 25-08-2018, 01:08:00 »
Another epic round on the best map of FH2

Introduction
Like the last time I wrote something in here, we had an epic round on Sidi Rezegh tonight. While playing Tunis people were already complaining in allchat that Sidi Rezegh was coming up next, but I had a little chat about Sidi Rezegh in TS with Sandre and he kept it on, so shoutout to him for doing so and not switch the map to yet again Vossenack or Meuse River.

Map explanation
The chat was about how to win the map. Most maps require you to cap more flags than the enemy and then they will bleed. but this one is a tad different and that's what I like so much about it. The airfield and the three flags around it are central for control of the bleed. When the Brits start the attack, they bleed until they capped all three of those and they have the support of a large amount of armor to do so. The Blockhouse is a nice flag which gives you some assets, a bridgehead (as Brits at least) and subtracts 40 tickets from the enemy's total, but it doesn't play a role in the bleed. After the Brits cap the three flags, the Germans will bleed and get extra armor reinforcements for the counterattack. When they succeed, then the Brits will bleed again and receive the reinforcements, while the German tanks will stop respawning (well, most of them).

I played as Germans, I was in the squad of Top_Nob for the duration of the round.

British attack
The Brits started out with an attack on the Blockhouse and I was in the AT gun in the south, so it took a while until I saw or heard any enemy tanks. Then I heard a Crusader and unfortunately it was behind a slope when I aimed down the sights. So I tried shooting it without aiming, because then I could see it's turret. This was not easy and it took several shots until I finally hit it:

Then the infantry attacks came, I got shot at with riflefire while I sat in the 88, so after some looking around I saw some rifles and legs stick out of a crater and also one guy standing up, so I fired a HE shell and found (part of) an enemy squad:

Soon after this, there was a long armored column going to the Regimentsgefechtsstand (the southern flag). As I was still in the 88, I aimed and shot the Crusader, the Valentine and the Matilda, one after the other. The armored attack was stopped in it's tracks.

This didn't hold the Brits back perpetually though, the wall of AT guns was again broken by infantry attacks which flanked from the south and they capped Hauptkampflinie (the eastern flag). Then they pushed on south and east, but the Germans held on to the airfield like their lives depended on it. After a while the Magazin (west) was taken and we had something like 800 tickets left when they took the Regimentsgefechtsstand (south). Top_Nob was around but not close enough for us to secure the basement in the building so the Brits capped it and they started to bleed us.

German counterattack
At that moment I had 18 kills with the AT gun and people who have been watching Ts4EVER's videos might have noticed that I was trying to get AT gun gold medal for a while. So while we were on the counterattack, I was searching for ways to get a few more AT gun kills. On my way to the west flag I found a 2 Pounder all alone by itself so I took care of it. First I killed the 88 in the east which was now manned by the enemy and then I had to wait, because I did hear a Stuart, but the gun is placed in such a way that it can only aim in the direction of the German base, and the Stuart was on the airfield itself so I could not fire at it. I couldn't even see it properly because it was behind a building. So I sat and waited, and in the meantime the bullets started to impact on the shield of the gun: apparently someone found out that I was in the 2 Pounder. While switching around to see where it came from suddenly the Stuart came around the corner and was in full view. Because it shocked me a bit and the tank turned fast I couldn't fire at it, but I swung the gun back and saw the Stuart from behind now:

It had taken us little time to recap the Regimentsgefechtsstand and soon after we got the Magazin back too. Capping the Hauptkampflinie though proved a bit harder and while we tried to attack there we were repulsed several times. The tickets were draining out to below the number of tickets the Brits had because we were still bleeding. We had 2 out of 3 and as we were capping the third, the Brits recapped the Magazin. Finally, after having some of those flags staying grey for long whiles, we managed to put the bleed back on the Brits: they had something like 400 and we had around 300 tickets.

British counterattack
Not sure what got into the British team, maybe us retaking the airfield was a blow to their morale or something similar, but all their attacks seemed uncoordinated. They recapped Blockhouse but couldn't get a hold on the airfield flags anymore, until they were below 100 tickets, when they managed to cap Hauptkampflinie. We fought over that flag for the remaining time in the round, and both Germans and Brits recapped it. In the end it was German again and we won by ~120-0, after the airfield changed hands twice in this round, just like it happened in reality.

Forgotten Hope 2, the way it was meant to be played  :)

The round took long, but it was totally worth it! Thanks everyone who participated, and especially the guys in Top_Nob's squad!

Offline Redbadd

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 31-08-2018, 00:08:12 »
How many were on at the time? 
Good bet for the Brits is to rush a carrier into the gap between blockhous and the airfield and cap the back airfield flag, try to get in the back of the Germans.  Get them to look back as the tanks make their aproach.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 31-08-2018, 17:08:46 »
How many were on at the time? 
It was Friday night approx. 23:00 hours, so server was almost full. When Tunis finished, several of the usual haters left "because Sidi Rezegh came up". I think we played this map mostly with somewhere around 70 players on, but I didn't check the numbers while playing so I'm not sure.