Author Topic: Forgotten Hope Weekly Highlights  (Read 17485 times)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope Weekly Highlights
« Reply #135 on: 24-02-2017, 00:02:35 »
Aaaaand another very nice round that ended just now: Alam Halfa.

After having played some other desert maps before (Siege of Tobruk, Mersa Matruh - we both won them), and having endured some negative chat about desert maps, this round proved that desert maps can be really awesome!! Siege of Tobruk already was very, very nice with the British team backcapping the first frontline while the second frontline didn't get pierced by the enemy, the Brits ended the round owning two out of three first frontline flags.

Then Mersa was a bit less spectacular, but the Germans finally pushed on to victory, and then it was time for Alam Halfa.

The opening was as usual, with mines and 2 Pounders giving hell to the German Panzer onslaught, but the Germans succeeded in capping the two front flags after some 4-5 tries iirc. Then we retreated to Samaket Gabala, where the two 25-Pounders are. We defended it for a while, and then I decided to check out if I could recap 7th Motor Brigade flag, one of the two front flags as it was still open in the push. The German tanks concentrating on attacking totally missed me, and I recapped the flag after mining the German tanks there. Soon two squads were there to defend it and attack the other front flag, but it wasn't successfull so we went back to Samaket. After a while we lost it but we recapped it again and then I gave it a second try, but since we already lost one of the backflags (22d Armored Brigade), I couldn't cap both front flags anymore so I went for the other one (4th Light Armd Brigade). Again mining the tanks and having a short fight with Jobabb, but then the Stuka bombed me and I couldn't cap the flag, although I did grey it, therefore locking Samaket for the Germans. Back at Samaket the Germans had succeeded in capping both backflags (22d Armored Brigade and 23d Armored Brigade), so now only Samaket was in our hands. There were 60 German tickets left and the bleed had stopped: we still had almost 600 tickets. I have never seen this on Alam Halfa before, but it was quite cool. We defended Samaket against the waves of German tanks rolling in, I shot two of them with my Stuart before I got killed and then we could only hide for the axis armor in order to not let them cap the flag. Unfortunately one tanker found us and after we died I respawned in my SL's tank. The bleed had gone to our side but there were only 20 tickets left. Right at that moment we recapped 23d Armored Brigade, puttin g the bleed back on axis and then it was over quickly.

A very, very sweet victory!

Thanks all who participated: Dago Red, Jobabb Jobabbsen, Lobo Solitario, Koltar, Yakovlev, Kingofburekz, Al Sahad, kasperkrolak, Toinen Aine, Pichu, lefty, Arminius, ZR, Lt.RexRepublica, Brit_Officer and many many others, whether you were on the winning or the losing side: you all made this round unforgettable!

« Last Edit: 24-02-2017, 00:02:31 by Slayer »

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 25-03-2017, 15:03:27 »
Great round on Ramelle!

We had the Germans finally take the Alamo flag and that was only with 100-150 tickets left. The Tigers, Marders, Flak fire was tremendous, but our glorious Bazookas and AT guns held them off consistently.

At Alamo, the fight was furious. We had taken that flag back from the Germans about 5 times!

« Last Edit: 25-03-2017, 15:03:04 by Roughbeak »

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 25-03-2017, 17:03:59 »
You should record videos like Ts4ever.  ;D ;D
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 02-04-2017, 02:04:19 »
Had an awesome round on Crete to end the night. I can't remember all of the guys in my squad but they were great team players.

We started out defending the Hill (as always). The plan was to be mobile and move to different objectives as the paratroopers dropped. We had a lot of hard fights at the Aerodrome, Monastery and Hill flags all round.

Our squad was at Monastery leading ~100-80 when the Germans took the Hill flag. Then I looked up and noticed we were down ~60-80. Spindrifter later informed me that you lose 40 tickets when you lose the hill flag.

So once we capped Monastery we moved back to Hill. Our team was fighting hard but it was about 20-60 once we got there. Luckily almost no-one was defending and we took the flag right back and evened the score. From there my squad held the hill and tried not to die while the rest of our team battled it out.

We won something like 3-0 8) awesome round.

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 02-04-2017, 10:04:55 »

I might have been the first POW in FH2  ;D ;D. My previous guard was killed, but surrendered to this sniper. (after a ton of spawn rape).
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)

Offline SJonni

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 02-04-2017, 20:04:28 »
Had a fun moment during Operation Luttich. Was on the German team running along some bushes as I heard an enemy tank approach. With nowhere to hide I decided to go prone and hope he'd just drive past me. He stopped a bit infront of me and aimed his turret at me. I though why not and starting moving my mouse back and forth while clicking the "No" button. In response the driver pressed "Ok" and continued past me. Was one of those lovely little moments I don't experience often.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 02-04-2017, 23:04:06 »
...I though why not and starting moving my mouse back and forth while clicking the "No" button. In response the driver pressed "Ok" and continued past me. Was one of those lovely little moments I don't experience often.

;D love those moments.

Offline SJonni

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 05-04-2017, 20:04:18 »
That feeling when you throw a grenade off the cliff at PdH and get 7 kills  8)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 09-04-2017, 00:04:28 »
Our squad was at Monastery leading ~100-80 when the Germans took the Hill flag. Then I looked up and noticed we were down ~60-80. Spindrifter later informed me that you lose 40 tickets when you lose the hill flag.
Had the same thing just now. We were ahead ~90-50 as Germans, and then they recapped Hill so were almost equal in tickets. We tried to cap Hill again, and succeeded when it was 40-38 for us: instant win :)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 09-04-2017, 01:04:45 »
Wow :o I was screwing around in a stuka, I didn't even realize

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 24-04-2017, 01:04:44 »
Just had an amazing round as German on St Vith for my last game of the night. :) The server had dropped (only about 40 players total) so the round was gonna be tough for both sides on the 64 layer. The last 3 sectors have 3 flags each, so capping and holding those flags is tough for the attacking team while defending team has to be organized.

The round started with basically 2 full squads. (Us and Squad 1) We started by capping the Walleroder Wood which was left mostly undefended and then quickly moved North and capped the Aachener Path. The first sector was a walk over.

The 2nd sector proved to be the hardest. Our squad went and handled Friedenstrasse Bridge while squad 1 fought over Rosenhuegels Farm. The Train-station changed hands multiple times. Once bridge was taken, our squad went and locked down Train station while Squad 1 still struggled to cap Farms. The Bridge then changed hands multiple times while tanks on both sides fought for control of the middle sector. Squad 1 fought over Farms with no success. Finally, our squad went to help and cap Farms, then had to move out and cap bridge. We basically had to hope that the Americans wouldn't be quick enough and used our halftracks to do the job.

We finally locked down the second sector and move onto the 3rd. This also proved to be tough as our squad had to cap every single one of the 3 flags. Basically circling in a halftrack and capping the flags as they fell. Squad 1 finally capped Wiesenbach and move to help with our sector. Our squad sat in between Buchler and Kloster while our 2 Panthers and a Panzer 4 struggled to cap crossroads. Once crossroads was capped, our squad quickly move to clean up Buchler (the last white flag) and then immediately ran to the last sector. We had about 150 tickets at this point.

In the last sector the Americans couldn't fall back in time. There was NO resistance at Emmels and our squad capped both flags easily. Then, as no-one had moved to Malmedy, our squad hopped in a captured halftrack and raced over to win the round. The last flag fell with minor casualties.

Squad 2, with 8 men, basically took the town of St Vith single handedly ;D

BIG shoutout to everyone in my squad;

Finlanderi
Jobabb
Cannon123123
Professor Anthrax
motta22
Haddock_1308
& Spindrifter

Easily top squad with 714 points 203 kills to 184 deaths between us :)

:P

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 24-04-2017, 16:04:44 »
I only joined it when the fight was already in sector 3, and it was nicely played out by the Germans, but you have to admit that precapping played a pivotal role in that round, Matt ;)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 24-04-2017, 17:04:57 »
I only joined it when the fight was already in sector 3, and it was nicely played out by the Germans, but you have to admit that precapping played a pivotal role in that round, Matt ;)

I wasn't paying much attention outside my squad, but I honestly didn't see anyone making a major effort to pre-cap (like they do on some maps). Maybe a few individuals just trying to rack up kills. I didn't even think we had a chance of winning the round for 90% of it. Nobody could get organized and our squad seemed like the only one doing any work :P

I remember Dago mentioning that Emmels feel too quickly but I didn't see anyone there before the previous sector locked. My squad moved out only after capping Buchler. I think the Americans just happened to be less organized and I'm sure the amount of players played a factor. We sprinted from Buchler to Emmels across open ground and no-one shot at us/ opposed us.

I like to think we won that round fair unless I'm misremembering. I'm not a fan of pre-capping tactics.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 24-04-2017, 20:04:16 »
I like to think we won that round fair unless I'm misremembering. I'm not a fan of pre-capping tactics.
Me neither. I don't begrudge the German victory, and the number of players was too small to defend properly indeed. I shot at Germans going for Emmels, and when I got killed I respawned there: there were only 4-5 Americans there and already over ten Germans, capping the second flag seconds after I spawned there. that was just moments after that squad I was firing at was still only halfway. So yeah, it looked a bit fishy. But still, it was nicely played out by the Germans, especially that attack on Buchler :)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 28-07-2017, 00:07:48 »
And yet another very nice and intense round on a map which gets a lot of hate in allchat: Sidi Rezegh.

I played as Germans, most of the time I was in the squad of Steiner.Cross.

Some of you might not know it, but this one has a special way of winning it. The airfield and the three flags around it are central for control of the bleed. When the Brits start the attack, they bleed until they capped all three of those. The Blockhouse is a nice flag which gives you some assets, a bridgehead (as Brits at least) and subtracts 40 tickets from the enemy's total, but it doesn't play a role in the bleed.

So: the Brits started the attack and got blown away as usual by the AT guns until some enemy infantry had infiltrated and shot us in the back. Soon the easternmost flag was capped by them. After a long fight they also capped the westernmost flag and the southern flag (the bunkerbuilding as you might know) held fast. It was greyed while one of the other flags was being recapped by us, but the bleed turned on us, apparently because we weren't quick enough. We still had ~700 tickets, so we had a chance.

With armored reinforcements we tried to retake some of the flags and almost immediately capped one and drew the British attention to that flag, so the rest of the army could steam ahead. So we lost it again but recapped south soon after. In the north a squad was desperately trying to cap Blockhouse, but to no avail. From the south we launched attacks to the west and east, fighting off the British resistance. The Matilda was wreaking havoc among our ranks but after a while it was distracted enough to not see me approach in the Panzer IV:

It was a really hard fight, but we succeeded in recapping all three airfield flags. Now the Brits were bleeding again and we had some 350 tickets left, and they a bit more.

It didn't take the Brits long to retake two of the three airport flags, so the situation was dire. They had less tickets than us now because of the bleed, but they would win if they would turn the bleed on us. So we defended the south with almost all we had: in the north the squad was still trying to take Blockhouse. Attacks were launched from the south to try and recap both west and east and from time to time we succeeded in greying or even recapping them, but the Brits were quick to react everytime. After a while the bleed had gotten the Brits down to some 120 tickets and one of them was asking in allchat why they were bleeding when they had 3 out of 4 flags. I typed a short explanation and shortly after the Blockhouse flag was recapped by us. I'd like to think the two things were related ;) The capping of Blockhouse brought them down to below 100 and they were still bleeding. We recapped west, south was greyed by them, we recapped south and they recapped west. Another greying of the south made the tension rise again, but I was able to clear the bunker with some teammates and then they bled out.

German victory 122-0, after the airfield changed hands twice in this round, just like it happened in reality.

Forgotten Hope 2, the way it was meant to be played  :)

Thanks everyone who participated, and especially the guys in Steiner.Cross squad!