Author Topic: The more the merrier - not really the case with FH2?  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
Re: The more the merrier - not really the case with FH2?
« Reply #45 on: 17-04-2014, 04:04:37 »
762 crashes & restart way too much. Is it because of the player numbers or an inadequate server?

Agreed. What would be an "inadequate server" to you? :)
Both servers are running on a separate root server. Check the IP's ;)
http://www.762-ranking.de/fh2stats/serverinfo/212.227.20.48:16567/
http://www.762-ranking.de/fh2stats/serverinfo/217.79.190.136:16568/

Both are quad core machines with sufficient RAM. Not that BF2 could use a quad core.
Remember, we run a game that is 9 years old (2005). On operating systems it was not made for.
With double the player amount it was made for. With maps that have shitloads of objects (no criticism, just stating a fact) on them, way more than a standard maps like, say Karkand.

Also why are they running 2 64+ servers that crash and have the same map list?

About the crash, see above. We don't have the same map list. We have the same settings for the randomizer and the same map pool (all FH2.46 maps available).

Since the randomizer creates a new map list of all FH2.46 maps +1x extra Omaha and 1x extra Gold Beach (2 fixed start maps because it is shortly after release and people wanna play them badly) -
there are no "same" rotations. Never.

There are 2 different rotations, and they are being renewed after each crash / restart.

BTW I love 762 keep up the...um...work
 ???
We're FH2 players at heart, too. Rest assured, we do what we can and what is reasonable.
Hence me posting here and opening the poll in our forums :)
You might wanna try removing brest from map list. From what I've been playing it has crashed the server every single time on map change, except one time when the server was close to empty already.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 17-04-2014, 12:04:32 »
That is an interesting observation. We will keep an eye open if some of the server crashes are map dependend. Could also be interesting for future fixes by the devs.

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #47 on: 18-04-2014, 15:04:26 »
Thank you guys for your feedback! Neo82 has edited the maximum server player count to be 100.
We hope to reduce the described effects and improve server stability by doing so.
Have a nice Easter holiday!
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 18-04-2014, 20:04:20 »
Fantastic!

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18-04-2014, 23:04:51 »
So, the server crashed again, battles are much less epic, and there's only the full server plus half-empty other one instead of two 64+ ones.

Not sure if want.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 22-04-2014, 12:04:32 »
So, the server crashes are still no less frequent, there is still the occasional lagspike, but most importantly, there is no two 100-player matches, not even 100+64, but one server capped at 100, 5 or less players on the other server, and a few dozen players clicking on "refresh list" and waiting for a slot to open on the 100-player server.

Mission (not) accomplished?

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #51 on: 22-04-2014, 12:04:06 »
We have to give the players time to adapt, Kelmola. I played a few nice rounds with 20-40 players on one of the servers yesterday, when the other one was 100 p filled.

If you have ideas how to make FH2 more stable, help Gavrant and the guys, they need coders.
Yes, crashes still happen, but our experience is, that they have reduced now with the capped numbers.

- How often did you see the server lagging like with 128 p now, when it was on 100+?
- How often (please count, take notes so we have reliable info) did the server crash one evening?
(one server, so either #4 or #1).
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 22-04-2014, 23:04:02 »
With under 60 players I feel that I can be more tactical and such.  More time calculating my stealthy kills.

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 23-04-2014, 03:04:18 »
We have to give the players time to adapt, Kelmola. I played a few nice rounds with 20-40 players on one of the servers yesterday, when the other one was 100 p filled.

If you have ideas how to make FH2 more stable, help Gavrant and the guys, they need coders.
Yes, crashes still happen, but our experience is, that they have reduced now with the capped numbers.

- How often did you see the server lagging like with 128 p now, when it was on 100+?
- How often (please count, take notes so we have reliable info) did the server crash one evening?
(one server, so either #4 or #1).
I've experienced only 1 crash so far, so definitely improved.

There's been a few times critical "connection problems" lag with huge warpings, and still lots of ironsight lagging making shooting impossible.

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #54 on: 23-04-2014, 19:04:24 »
Limiting under <100 would be a disaster!

FH2 got such a lift with more than 64 players! And Think like this:

A full 64 player server does not make ppl start a new server.

A full 128 player server does not make ppl start a new server, however more ppl get to play.

Sure if you dont like too many ppl on the same sever, try join a 64p server and try to get up the numbers.. You wont succed.

Totally agree with Kemola
So, the server crashes are still no less frequent, there is still the occasional lagspike, but most importantly, there is no two 100-player matches, not even 100+64, but one server capped at 100, 5 or less players on the other server, and a few dozen players clicking on "refresh list" and waiting for a slot to open on the 100-player server.

« Last Edit: 23-04-2014, 19:04:10 by elander »

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #55 on: 24-04-2014, 00:04:04 »
Sadly, we cannot make players join a certain server.
We are as happy as you guys to have the 64p+ option, but as it showed, we could not run full 128p without stability problems and lags. So we went down to 100p max to fix the lagging and the very frequent crashes.

FH2 still crashes. That is to be expected, as to why, please read some posts above.
The effects with 1 big server full of players and a smaller one not really starting are the same with 128p max as well as with 100p max. Our goal is to have 2 servers running, but we cannot force players onto a certain server.

If you have other suggestions, let's hear them.
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 24-04-2014, 04:04:35 »

Maybe I read it wrong, but in my opinion, I highly disagree with this. Servers over 100 gave us excessive lag and "rubberbanding". It was so terrible you could say I had a broken flipper.

If you open up another server because the other one is full, different players will join fast. It may seem simple, but I tried it once, and it worked.
« Last Edit: 24-04-2014, 04:04:23 by Roughbeak »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 24-04-2014, 04:04:59 »
For what it's worth, I think the server crashes less than it used to. I also experience less rubberbanding in general (although I still get it from time to time). I think 128 is a bit too many people imo so I like the 100 player limit to an extent. I do sometimes have problems where the server is full and noone is on the other server+I don't feel like seeding it. I haven't seen this happen TOO much so far tho.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 24-04-2014, 08:04:58 »
 The 762 servers are running better.

Odium, something occurred to me that I would like to ask.

The reduced player numbers have obviously had a positive effect on server stability.

Could the root of the problem be caused by limited spawn availability on certain maps?

In other words, too many players & not enough spawn points on certain maps? Small maps Like Brest that were not designed for 128?

I mean if you have 64 players trying to spawn on 1 flag, that's a problem right?

Keep up the good work 762. At least you guys are trying & that's more than anyone else is doing.
 8)

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #59 on: 24-04-2014, 18:04:04 »
Jimi,

in general it works like this:
The game looks for space around the SL / fixed spawn point to put players in.
If there is no space, players won't spawn and the counter will start again.

You would have to ask the coders like Gavrant or Mayhemic if they feel that this causes instability.
Not my field of expertise.
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I