Author Topic: Kingdom Come: Deliverance  (Read 3853 times)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance
« Reply #15 on: 07-02-2014, 15:02:21 »
It's being set in 1403, so there could be gunpowder in basic forms, like handcannons and petards and such.

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11-02-2014, 05:02:57 »
As long as the guns explode in your face when they fire and take half a game day to reload, I will be as happy as a clam. :P

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14-02-2014, 13:02:15 »
As long as there's a random shot in the general direction of the enemy...
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14-02-2014, 18:02:33 »
Extremely random, because blackpowder weapons are still smoothbore and will be so for the next 400 years, until these strange British muskets with peculiar "rifles" in their barrel start to appear, making war totally ungentlemanly as they can be actually aimed and thus used to snipe officers first.

Offline mopskind

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14-02-2014, 20:02:58 »
Combat System:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnKbKkhHXrQ

I see potential

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14-02-2014, 21:02:39 »
Thanks for sharing. Great video by the team.

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14-02-2014, 22:02:47 »
Combat System:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnKbKkhHXrQ

I see potential

This game is looking better and better. Very interested in this.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14-02-2014, 22:02:46 »
Dudes with halberds and shields? Good luck trying to use a polearm as anything but a spear one-handed (hint: heavy axehead at the end of a long pole translates into a considerable momentum). At which point you would be better off with a spear or a pike, but then you would want a larger shield (such as those used by Roman legionnaries) so you could into shieldwall.

Also, interesting that they talk of crossbows but at the same time show the use of a longbow - especially considering that in 1400 the English were pretty much alone using that, mostly because that its effective use required lifelong practice (and twisted your torso so that archeologists can at a glance deduce that the skeleton was an archer in life), whereas a crash course in crossbow gunnery could achieve good enough results in a couple of months so peasants could be raised into an army as required instead of keeping a hueg reserve of trained archers.

Looks promising, though. Nice to see that they are doing actual research with re-enacters, instead of just copying the fighting moves from movies. Though the word "fencing" caused me to raise an eyebrow, as the modern fencing sport arose only long after swords were abandoned as battlefield weapons and is very detached from real medieval warfare (if it ever had any contact to begin with) - hope they meant re-enacters instead with that.

I wonder how they will model the wildly varying lethality (plus reach, speed, etc.) of various weapons. Nobody is going to walk away if somebody lands a solid blow with a warhammer (but muh armour? have fun dying of internal bleeding!), but on the other hand, legend has it that Blackbeard kept on trucking after being stabbed twenty times with rapiers. Also, can the shield be used as a weapon too, or is it just held passively.

This could be an interesting ride.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15-02-2014, 09:02:02 »
Well, "fencing" is actually the correct term to describe various fighting techniques, taught at different "fencing schools", especially in German, French and Italian towns from the 14th to the 17th century. These techniques were developed for different kinds of weapons, like swords, daggers, spears, polearms and even for unarmed combat and and fighting armored and unarmored enemies. Of course this had nothing to do with todays fencing.
They were collected in so-called "treatises" and taught by "fencing masters". Since different styles were developed and taught in different areas, different "fencing schools" started to emerge that taught complex ways of fighting. Medieval combat was way more sophisticated than people nowadays believe and far away from "brutal sword bashing", as popular culture often depicts it. I own a digital copy of a German school "Fechtbuch" ("fencing book) and it´s quite intriguing. There´s way more to two-handed sword combat than you´d think there is.

Here are some interesting Wiki articles on the whole issue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fechtbuch#German_Fechtb.C3.BCcher
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_school_of_fencing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_school_of_swordsmanship

So speaking about "fencing" in a video game that covers 14th century combat fits quite well. As long as they talk about actual medieval fencing and not about modern fencing.  ;D
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01-10-2015, 15:10:39 »
I'll probably fund them next month with 50$, can't wait to see them finish this game :) looks and feels so nice, and made with passion <3

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile

Offline Sgt.KAR98

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08-12-2015, 22:12:00 »
Saw this at another forums some time ago and for the first time I have to say I got interested by something branded "RPG". Even better,one of the devs said it's "Dungeons and no dragons".

BTW,call me an a**hole,but the game is not going to be Assassin's Creed like,right?

And last,I always thought knights indeed used that full solid armo,but only very special classes or high rank noblemen after the 11th century.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09-12-2015, 00:12:46 »
And last,I always thought knights indeed used that full solid armo,but only very special classes or high rank noblemen after the 11th century.
What. Didn't we already discuss this above in this very thread?

Individual armour plates didn't even catch on in medieval Europe until the late 13th century, and full suits of plate were not in widespread use until the late 14th - early 15th century. (Yes, that means that most of the Crusades were fought in chainmail, NOT in plate!) But when it rains it pours, so as soon as it started to be possible to produce plate, there was an arms race to produce in it in as large quantities as possible. In the heyday of the plate in the 15th and 16th century, it was common for entire armies to fight in full suits of plate armour, not just the "knights", which didn't even exist anymore as a separate social class because professional armies had already mostly replaced them by that time.

Now, a plate is handy in that it's practically invulnerable to swords. Which is why everyone and their dog started wielding maces, warhammers, and polearms which either caused indirect trauma through armour, penetrated due to heavy weight concentrated on a small point, or simply had enough momentum to not care. Or just used a powerful enough crossbow which did not require the lifelong training of an English longbowman. Of course, the development of firearms soon made full plate obsolete altogheter, so in the late 16th century infantry started getting rid of it, followed by cavalry. By the 17th century mostly only specialized heavy cavalry units used plate (note: professional soldiers, not noblemen playing "knights"), and after 30 Years War had shown light cavalry to be superior, plate armour went the way of the dodo by the 18th century. But in its final death throes, it did become the status symbol of a wealthy individual, without any practical purpose.

But history repeats itself, so nowadays we've got flak jackets, bulletproof vests, etc.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09-12-2015, 11:12:57 »
Now, a plate is handy in that it's practically invulnerable to swords.

Which is why techniques, such as half-swording or grappling/wrestling were very common during the "arms race between plate and sword". Hence swords with pointed tips were developed, which makes penetrating weak spots easier.

The persistence of long swords, together with the use of various other weapons, such as hammers or polearms make the War of the Roses a very interesting conflict from a tactical perspective.

Btw, thanks for the video, Natty, gotta watch it tomorrow after work. The game looks very promising and along with some others which are being realeased soon makes me seriously think about upgrading my old computer...
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Sgt.KAR98

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14-12-2015, 00:12:32 »

Individual armour plates didn't even catch on in medieval Europe until the late 13th century, and full suits of plate were not in widespread use until the late 14th - early 15th century. (Yes, that means that most of the Crusades were fought in chainmail, NOT in plate!) But when it rains it pours, so as soon as it started to be possible to produce plate, there was an arms race to produce in it in as large quantities as possible. In the heyday of the plate in the 15th and 16th century, it was common for entire armies to fight in full suits of plate armour, not just the "knights", which didn't even exist anymore as a separate social class because professional armies had already mostly replaced them by that time.

Now, a plate is handy in that it's practically invulnerable to swords. Which is why everyone and their dog started wielding maces, warhammers, and polearms which either caused indirect trauma through armour, penetrated due to heavy weight concentrated on a small point, or simply had enough momentum to not care. Or just used a powerful enough crossbow which did not require the lifelong training of an English longbowman. Of course, the development of firearms soon made full plate obsolete altogheter, so in the late 16th century infantry started getting rid of it, followed by cavalry. By the 17th century mostly only specialized heavy cavalry units used plate (note: professional soldiers, not noblemen playing "knights"), and after 30 Years War had shown light cavalry to be superior, plate armour went the way of the dodo by the 18th century. But in its final death throes, it did become the status symbol of a wealthy individual, without any practical purpose.

But history repeats itself, so nowadays we've got flak jackets, bulletproof vests, etc.

I still have to ask,what was the purpose of changing from full armor to barely none,except iron helmets,if with the beginning of firearms,they were still not very accurate,were very slow and complicated to reload and,for what I've read,didn't replace swords and sabres as primary weapons until early 19th century?