Author Topic: [F|H]&[762] PRESENT - FH2 Custommap Event: Wacht am Rhein  (Read 13701 times)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
Re: [F|H]&[762] PRESENT - FH2 Custommap Event: Wacht am Rhein
« Reply #75 on: 04-01-2014, 13:01:38 »
Pushmode was removed on all maps because the mappers of [F|H] thought that public players would not follow it like the organised players of a tournament and thereby make the map lock up at some point.
B-b-b-but pushmode would channel even the most random pubber into coordination?

I mean, for some maps pushmode is not necessary (such as Chiara's Boobs, ahem, Giarabub). But the requirement is then that either the area is rather compact or players are somewhat railroaded into certain pathways, Miteriya Ridge on El Al being a good example that feels natural, forces to focus without feeling forced (unlike Ramelle). Meuse 1944, this works too because the flags are all relatively close to each other so fights "flow" naturally from one to another even without push.

But a large map such as Elsenborn with no "natural" obstacles and a large number of flags all over the place... it's like Cobra before Farm and Watermill flags were changed to sector push.

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #76 on: 04-01-2014, 16:01:50 »
I can agree with you on the push mode Kelmola, some of the maps would do better with it.

We consider the whole affair as a start. The goal is to work together with the neighbouring communities such as [F|H] , !@! , WaW and their mappers to get good custom map packs together, to attract new and old players to FH2.
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 04-01-2014, 16:01:24 »
!@! is still active? Havent seen their guys both on the servers and on the forums for a looong while...

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 04-01-2014, 17:01:51 »
I can agree with you on the push mode Kelmola, some of the maps would do better with it.

We consider the whole affair as a start. The goal is to work together with the neighbouring communities such as [F|H] , !@! , WaW and their mappers to get good custom map packs together, to attract new and old players to FH2.

I like it! Community working together get's a thumb up from me.

Offline PapillonFH

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 04-01-2014, 18:01:11 »
*yawn* some words from the mapping team lead at FHT, just got back from vacation from denmark and quite tired.
One must not measure our tournament maps against the same benchmarks as the stock maps or most of the custom maps when it comes to call it "completeness" or beta stage.
Whereas stock maps are done over a rather long period of time (I assume that from the general update frequency of FH2) and most custom maps are done mostly by one person without any external factors like deadlines etc (also an assumption here by me), we at FHT hold a campaign twice or thrice a year with about 16-18 maps in it.
Therefore, we do have very tight timeframes in which we can do our mapping work, and we do have to work on many maps in a very short time. And if we fuck up, the tournament suffers, and then the admins suffer :-)
Therefore, we unfortunately often do not reach the level of detail or work out flaws (of which we often are very aware believe me), simply cause there is not sufficient time. And of course we always have too few mappers, so feel invited if anybody thinks he can contribute :-)

Also, we try to focus on the gameplay. That does not mean that eliminating every floating object or adding nice statics all over the place or making nice textures and under/overgrowth is not in our focus, but our tournaments thrive on good gameplay, not on the last 15 % of work put into a map.
The real work we have to do is balancing, which is I dare say probably the harder job. Every map that did not work out good in our campaigns did so because it was unbalanced equipment/kit wise, not out of call it "visual" issues.
Probably on the contrary up to a point. Look at Juin 44 from den75, which he allowed us to use in Wacht am Rhein. I converted it into a winter map, added some flags in the outer terrain, really beautiful map, detailed, and well thought out.
But: A lot of players had horrible lags in the city due to the high number of statics in the map :-( I think I have to twiddle some there, cause the map is really good and for those withouth lags it was a pleasure to play.
This of course does not excuse certain errors. Yes, there are some serious flaws. Unusable MGs and floaters are annoying, on Elsenborn the roads are still a major issue. Blame me as I did the map, but it was my 1st :-) I only got into mapping 03/2013, so don't be too hard on me  ;D

Regarding push and flag layout:
We do not use push in the tournament. We tried it on two maps this time: Bloody Gulch and Stoumont.
Both times it failed horribly because in organized teamplay, reducing the attackable flags to only two spells disaster, especially as we work with rally points instead of SL spawning which give another boost to the defending team. Push with 40-50 guys against two flags where all 40-50 defenders are organized in squads and follow the same orders. It's a meatgrinder.

Nordwind: it was said that the three center flags get all the attention and the rest lies barren. Again here, in the campaign this was one of the best maps with action all over the place because no flag is ignored. There may be lull at a flag for some time, but still it will always see action. This is the difference in comparison to public.

But i concur that Nordwind and Elsenborn in the 64 layer should have push for public. We might even implement it, only mapdata stuff I'd say.
Both do have 32 and 16 layers with 5 flags each if somebody noticed, those would have probably been more fitting for public us. Next time probably.

And as Odium said, it's a start.

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #80 on: 04-01-2014, 22:01:20 »
I so wish I'd had the time to play Foy as I made it last summer just in roughly a month before I entered military service. After all the good feedback I've got from it I think it's actually shame :(
CMP Gaming

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 07-01-2014, 22:01:18 »
Still having fun playing the maps.

Well done everyone! 

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 09-01-2014, 09:01:59 »
Finally back from some time away from my computer and I can't wait to try these maps out :)

The response seems a bit mixed but mostly on the good side and ppl seem to be enjoying the diversity, so kudos to the mappers FHT and 762 for giving this a go ;) So far it looks like it's been implemented well and you're getting players to DL and try the maps by mixing them in with official maps and I certainly think that's a good way to do it.

I had a look around the maps in a local server and Herrlisheim is def the golden boy when it comes to looks. ;D it's certainly feels the most polished of the 4. I hope it holds up when it comes to gameplay too. I'll reserve anymore judgments for when I get a few rounds in on these maps. Hope to see you guys there 8)

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
« Reply #83 on: 09-01-2014, 15:01:28 »
Finally back from some time away from my computer and I can't wait to try these maps out :)

The response seems a bit mixed but mostly on the good side and ppl seem to be enjoying the diversity, so kudos to the mappers FHT and 762 for giving this a go ;) So far it looks like it's been implemented well and you're getting players to DL and try the maps by mixing them in with official maps and I certainly think that's a good way to do it.

I had a look around the maps in a local server and Herrlisheim is def the golden boy when it comes to looks. ;D it's certainly feels the most polished of the 4. I hope it holds up when it comes to gameplay too. I'll reserve anymore judgments for when I get a few rounds in on these maps. Hope to see you guys there 8)

Thanks to aserafimov for the awesome map.

Had to spend quite a lot with that new flags myself. You can always find something buggy after you thought you finished it. :D
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 18-12-2014, 22:12:00 »
These maps were so great tp play almost a year a go.
I wish they could come back in rotation on the server during the x-mas :-)   

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 19-12-2014, 00:12:47 »
There is a new mappack, which hopefully gonna be released for x-mas

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #86 on: 19-12-2014, 12:12:08 »
Wow you dug out a really old thread! :D

We are currently testing the mappack_test_v06.rar a last time before its
release in shape of a public map pack that will be run by 762, FHT and WaW
public servers. If you wish to test play with us, join us tonight on the Forgotten Honor
public FH2 game servers and their teamspeak: ts.forgottenhonor.com - at 19.00 UTC.

To download the mappack, open the news on www.762-ranking.de.
Hope to see you tonight!
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 19-12-2014, 19:12:20 »
Cool
That is very good news.
Will try out that mappack for sure :-)
Its going to be a good x-mas this year

Offline m107sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 21-02-2016, 15:02:27 »
Hey, for some reason, none of those links worked for me. But I managed to find a working one, here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tu1mkta02lh7lt/%5BFHT%5D%20%26%20%5B762%5D%20%26%20%5BWaW%5D%20Community%20Map%20Pack.rar?dl=0

Password UNITED
« Last Edit: 21-02-2016, 16:02:08 by m107sniper »

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #89 on: 22-02-2016, 02:02:22 »
The reason may be that you dug out a 2 year old thread? :D
Good luck getting these maps to run.

Or you can just wait for us to finish the great grand child of this WachtAmRhein mappack,
the current community Map Pack and get it via the Community Updater (762-ranking.de ->News).

When it is done.

P.S. WHERE THE HELL WERE PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHEN I HAD LOST MY KEYS or wrist watch as a child?
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I