Author Topic: Sitting on the Sidelines - A Forgotten Hope 2 Update  (Read 7578 times)

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Sitting on the Sidelines - A Forgotten Hope 2 Update
« Reply #75 on: 27-02-2014, 15:02:47 »
I am just waiting like everyone else, fighting isn't going to help the problem or push the devs further.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 27-02-2014, 16:02:21 »
Haha, nice read. The only thing that beta testers have said is that a release might be quite "soon" around the corner. If you have followed the development of this mod in the last two years then you might know that "soon" is a very stretchable phrase.  ;D

Looking at the last half year of development I can say that one month is simply nothing though waiting for months for a release can be somehow annoying. There is allways progress, basicly every day, sometimes small and sometimes big changes. I would like the devs to show more of this progress and I have voiced it many times but without any success sofar. The devs have a different POV about the subject and I simply dk what they are afraid of.

For the end consumer of a product (dk whether we can call FH2 a product) it doesn't matter how much is done behind closed doors. What counts is the current situation and that we are struggling to keep the players interested sometimes ... with 40 maps in the rotation, over 200 vehicles and all different stuff that a WWII nerd can dream of. I dk why it is like it is, but the lag of releases is a reason why 762 is starting to look for alternatives, e.g. more custom maps in the rotation.

Bottom line: we can't change the current situation unless there are new people applying to help with development. And everybody can do so and is welcome. I see alot of beta testers not attending any test sessions nor doing anything though there are currently over 200 registered beta testers afaik and some of them still active playing. It is all voluntary work and please never forget

... all is done for free.  :)

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 27-02-2014, 16:02:07 »
Can you tell me when I would need to be avaiable to help testing and where to apply again?

Regarding the situation:
I stated this before already, there is not much of a request to the community to help. I saw only Jan and 5hitm4k3r spotlighting the lack of testers. I miss threads & announcements that make the lack of developers, testers and what is specifically missing in order to keep moving forward a topic. Maybe there are people who can help or are willing to learn it for real. So I never understood why there would not be a call for support to the community, possibly encouraging people. The number of threads and people ingame asking about the developement shows that there is a severe lack of information in the community. I wonder what it is, that keeps the developers from fighting the decay more offensively to be honest.

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 27-02-2014, 18:02:20 »
The funniest thing is complaining by devs/moderators that the main reason why there's no patch releases is the fact that there's no maps to add into release... Looking at the amount of custom maps I can only laugh at this statement...  ::)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 27-02-2014, 18:02:33 »
Lack of maps is not the reason for the delay. The reason was that for several months last year, FH2 was for all intents and purposes dead, with no development being done. This changed last autumn and now development continues on the eastern front as well as the next patch.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 27-02-2014, 18:02:31 »
I would like the devs to show more of this progress and I have voiced it many times but without any success sofar. The devs have a different POV about the subject and I simply dk what they are afraid of.
That was never the case and it never happen so you can forget about it. And I don't think that devs are afraid of anything in this matter, it's just they way they always worked on FH2 and many hardcore fans know about it. News updates were more often in the past, true, but it was because there were more models to show back then, now we have plenty of models which can't be shown (surprises yet to come ;) ) and many of current models are enough for upcoming eastern front, especially german equipment which is pretty much done, it only needs new textures and that won't be shown in the news updates because generating renders only because of new textures is a waste of time. FYI hundreds of small changes which are being made all the time were never given to the public information.

IMHO over the years new players came here and they expect something else from the dev team, the problem is that their expectation are mostly based on the other games, people don't want to accommodate and they act like they have something to say here, instead of showing some respect for the bunch of great people who created this game for free in their spare time, for their and our fun. You people can discuss and suggest things, you can help the team but demanding attitude is simply rude and out of place and I'm sad to see it more and more often here. I even experienced personal attacks on facebook because we haven't released yet (I was probably mistaken for a developer by some newcomer who was inpatiet enough to find me there, lol)

When it comes to progress, most of the changes made since 2.45 are not worth showing, like many small bug fixes, codding stuff, small details fixes on many maps, some experimental stuff for us to test etc, because they won't say much to a regular player. Anyway, there is almost 800 entries in the internal changelog since 13/7/2012 (2.45 release date) and some of them are simple bug fixes, some of them are bigger changes which affected numerous vehicles, and many of them are in WIP status, they are still being changed, polished and some get reverted because they don't work as intended, so showing them to the public will lead to a lot of useless discussions. Get used to it guys.

Bottom line: we can't change the current situation unless there are new people applying to help with development. And everybody can do so and is welcome. I see alot of beta testers not attending any test sessions nor doing anything though there are currently over 200 registered beta testers afaik and some of them still active playing. It is all voluntary work and please never forget
If you have access to internal forum and you want to discuss numbers 5hitm4k3r, you should at least get them right, because there are 159 members on the internal forum at this moment and this number includes most of the retired developers. And I'm sorry to say that but because of steep learning curve of how things works internaly we don't need any new testers at the moment, because there is no one to take care of them and teach them how things works. I think this will change after the next release.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 27-02-2014, 18:02:34 »
Maybe if you guys could post some of the updated/new textures in the Conspiracy thread, like Kraetzer did a while ago with the new tank hunter? Would revive both the Conspiracy thread and the interest of some people. Like a mini treat?

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 27-02-2014, 18:02:17 »
Show us a new tree!

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 27-02-2014, 18:02:04 »
Do not talk about internal stuff in here.

Ts4EVER
« Last Edit: 27-02-2014, 19:02:31 by Ts4EVER »