Off-Topic > Gaming

Gaming News

(1/14) > >>

Ciupita:
I find we have need for a thread like this.

In this thread, post news from game industry, researches related to gaming and so on. If news are about particular game title, you should share it in that title's thread or make one, if it doesn't exist.

- News articles must contain link to source.
- Discussion about news is allowed in this thread
- When posting a new article, type headline with BIG BLUE TEXT to make it stand out from other discussion.
- If articles are in different language than English, please, provide a translation.

God my English is horrible.

I shall begin.

Video games should be made less addictive, say experts

--- Quote --- Video games are too addictive. That's according to researchers who think game-makers should make games less compelling, before the government is forced to step in and tackle addiction.

Around one in ten gamers are "pathological" players. In extreme cases, gamers are bashing buttons in sessions lasting 90 hours.

New research from experts at Cardiff, Derby and Nottingham Trent universities, published in the Addiction Research and Theory journal, identifies massively multiplayer online roleplaying games (MMORPGs) as being more conducive to addiction in players.

The problem with online role playing games like World of Warcraft is that they're open-ended and ongoing, as opposed to console and PC games that follow a story to an actual ending.

Many MMORPGs show messages warning players not to over-do it, but the researchers believe game developers and publishers need to go further and adjust "the structural features of the game design" to prevent players from getting so deeply absorbed.

Elements that could be changed include "the character development, rapid absorption rate and multi-player features, which could make them addictive and or problematic for some gamers."

The Association for UK Interactive Entertainment (UKIE) says there are measures in place to make sure players enjoy games safely, but admits that, "like anything enjoyable in life, some people play games excessively."

The researchers warn that if the problem is not tackled, the government could be forced to follow the example of China, where a time limit is imposed on games.
--- End quote ---

Musti:
In other words games should be made worse. No thanks, I don't need a government to tell me how much should I (or anyone) play video games, because it's none of their fucking business. If someone plays non-stop for hours and then dies its their fault for being a fucking retard.

Good idea with this thread by the way :D.

MaJ.P.Bouras:
Well some books are also addictive, make shitty books too!!

Religion also makes people die from hunger or kill each other ! Ban religion

Oh my....

LuckyOne:
As much as I don't really like the idea, they do have a point. Today's games are too addictive! Especially when they're good... Or maybe not too addictive but definitely too time consuming - they make you grind for ages until you get to the "endgame".

Nerdsturm:

--- Quote from: LuckyOne on 08-08-2013, 21:08:33 ---As much as I don't really like the idea, they do have a point. Today's games are too addictive! Especially when they're good... Or maybe not too addictive but definitely too time consuming - they make you grind for ages until you get to the "endgame".

--- End quote ---
Yeah, RTS's are about the only remaining genre that you can still just jump in and play; even most FPS's require grinding now. I've never found that much fun, let alone addicting, but can certainly approve removing unnecessarily time consuming elements.

The games that I've found truly addictive, like Civ or Hears of Iron, couldn't really be made less addictive without sacrificing entertainment value.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version