Author Topic: Regular European game night (survey)  (Read 6000 times)

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
Re: Regular European game night (survey)
« Reply #30 on: 27-06-2013, 16:06:44 »
get some smaller maps (16 and 32 player layers) in the rotation to fill in the server. El Alamein is one of my favortie NA maps but it gets boring quite fast with 8 vs.8 players. There are some very nice 16 player versions for the maps out there and you can give the players a chance to see something that they don't play/see all days. There is a reason why some devs created those layers, so don't miss this opportunity.
We actually have them all, and play them quite often. It is just yesterday we’d expected more people, and when folks started to show up, we thought we would put the popular big maps up to lure even more of them, but it did not work out. :) Otherwise, we would play things like St. Lo, PDH, Eppel, and Keren 32 (Falaise is about the only 64 you can play with low numbers, maybe Supercharge and PHL as well), and we play plenty 16 (we finished with a solid Lebisey 16, which is always fun with up to 20 people).

As for rules etc., we’ll set it up, as well as in-game administration (right now we have to use bf2cc from the browser to change maps, kick, and send global messages), and possibly reintroduce automatic map-changing script (we removed it because some thought it was causing the server lag when some people join, but it seems to had been caused by incorrectly set up DNS-resolver, and regulars could see that in last two days there were no such lags that we had registered so far).

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27-06-2013, 17:06:25 »
@5hitm4k3r

You are right and I criticized that as well. Especially as we had Cobra and El Al in a row. Playing there with 16 people was rather pointless. It's not like we played the big maps like this all the time though. We played Giarabub earlier, Mount Olympus 16 and after El Al, we played Lebisey 16. Anyway, too many big maps. Does not only attract fewer players, also is not much fun to me.

It was originally planned to play on the F|H server which did not work out yet, but will do by next week. So next week it will be adjusted to the amount of players we got in order to make sure people get more interested in the server. We also will take things more serious with different and more admins as well.

Same with the rules. Not sure if they are being displayed until next Wednesday, but there will be taken care of. The VBIOS server was just the replacement in the end.

This is my personal opinion here, others thought big maps make sense and are nice with few people as well. I don't share this opinion. Another point is that this was pretty much short dated and therefore definitely not greatly planned.

As I said, big announcement for next week will follow, we will try to implement the suggestions as good as we can. Thank you for the feedback!

Offline theUg

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01-07-2013, 04:07:47 »
Test run on F|H server is set for the next Wednesday, July 3rd. There is no big announcement on this forums as yet (in the form of separate topic), but to get is started, here is the promo:

F|H weekly game night

Every Wednesday on F|H 130-player server (official FH2 ranked)

16:00 UTC
17:00 London
18:00 Berlin, Cairo, Paris, Pretoria, Warsaw
19:00 Kiev, Helsinki
20:00 Moscow

12:00 Havana, New York
13:00 Buenos Aires, Sao Paolo
21:30 New Dehli
23:00 Jakarta
Midnight Beijing, Perth

TS3: ts.forgottenhonor.com
FH2 Mumble enabled

Show some hospitality

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01-07-2013, 05:07:45 »
 I can make it this week.

Hopefully you guys will have more admins & turn off the map voting.

Can you list a map rotation?

;)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01-07-2013, 12:07:21 »
Can't come this week, will join next week.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01-07-2013, 17:07:24 »
 Also will VOIP be enabled or must we use TS3/Mumble for communication?

;)

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01-07-2013, 21:07:05 »
Voip should be enabled. But you can always feel free to join F|H teamspeak for example. That's at least where a good bunch of people from F|H is going to be at.

Join all in and have fun on Wednesday! Spread the word!

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03-07-2013, 14:07:07 »
Test run on F|H server is set for the next Wednesday, July 3rd.

F|H weekly game night

Every Wednesday on F|H 130-player server (official FH2 ranked)

16:00 UTC
17:00 London
18:00 Berlin, Cairo, Paris, Pretoria, Warsaw
19:00 Kiev, Helsinki
20:00 Moscow

12:00 Havana, New York
13:00 Buenos Aires, Sao Paolo
21:30 New Dehli
23:00 Jakarta
Midnight Beijing, Perth

TS3: ts.forgottenhonor.com
FH2 Mumble enabled

Don't forget about it! Join today evening!

Offline Lada.Rear.Drive

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03-07-2013, 17:07:21 »
Soon...

Offline theUg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03-07-2013, 17:07:53 »
Ahem. Let’s go on VBIOS for that night. There are still technical issues we are trying to work out on F|H server, and we do not want to have those affect the players, and ruin the whole thing before it has a chance to take off. Mumble is glitching there as well, but works on VBIOS, so see you all there.

Show some hospitality

Offline Lada.Rear.Drive

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 03-07-2013, 17:07:13 »
VBIOS is limited to only 64 slots. The FH2 scene is dead.  :'(

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04-07-2013, 08:07:11 »
I experienced a full Server for several hours, while there was no other server available. And I experienced real teamplay (on both sides). I encountered more than once a full enemy squad. Really challenging, but fun.

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 04-07-2013, 09:07:38 »
Yeah, it was really good gameplay. I only played for three matches but I want to thank the guys who were in my squad (Potato), you were awesome.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 04-07-2013, 11:07:34 »
 I joined late, but still had fun.

I just want to thank everyone at Forgotten Honor & all involved in making this happen. Its no secret that the community has shrunk dramatically & while there seems to be very long times between patches & no progress for the immediate future, it is still being developed & that is better than nothing.

It is weekly event's like this that will keep FH2 going as i believe it still offers a unique and fun WW2 style of game-play that you can get nowhere else.

Now, if we can just get WAW Thursdays to follow this blueprint.........

suggestions for future events

- Get Official Awards working (I know it is being worked on), but this will be a HUGE selling point.
- Map Ticket-Count Adjustments
- 100+ server games (as long as they are stable)
- Adding 1 Custom Tournament map into the rotation (Announcing D/L links on Weekly Forum Post, server messages & in Mumble/TS3)
 There are some really good Tournament maps that would be fun to play!
- Start a poll on what maps the community likes & try to work them into the rotation.
(I know from experience that some of the admins running this, Ug for example are very in-tune to the community requests)

- Mini Campaigns: Game nights with entire map list that consist of:

- Infantry Only
  - Tank Battle Night
  - Fan Favorites (based on poll)

8)

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 04-07-2013, 13:07:32 »
Thanks for your feedback. We hope we manage to get the F|H server stable and play official stats as well as running the server with 64+ players by next week. Yesterday was just a test run and we even had to switch to VBIOS. But I got to say that I really enjoyed the gameplay as well. Due to lack of time I was only playing 3 or 4 rounds as well, but Villers-Bocage and Gazala were a lot of fun to me.

You are right about the ticket adjustements, we should try to fix that. Like Gazala for example. Axis did not capture a flag all round long and they still won. That should not happen.

We have thought about making a map poll already. Similar to the official gamenights that were played until like 1,5 years ago. Might come up in the next weeks.

About tournament maps, probably not gonna happen as it influences the numbers we get too much at this point. A tournament map is usually created for 64 players (with more possible), and it does not make sense when we play it with 20 people in the end, screwing off many others.
But if we get a playerbase that joins the gamenight somewhat regularly you could think about doing it. We are still at the very start of this, and want to make it a regular, weekly event. But currently custom maps don't make much sense in my opinion.

But generally the intention is to create the gamenight the way the community likes it. So keep up the feedback and suggestions. It's taken very seriously!

See you next Wednesday! ;)