Author Topic: Regular European game night (survey)  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
Re: Regular European game night (survey)
« Reply #15 on: 25-06-2013, 21:06:03 »
Please no discussion of 762 vs Gamenight. This is clearly not the intention. 762 has been changing maplist daily for quite some time if I'm not mistaken and I have no problems with it.

What we want to do is reaching the players that don't play on 762 for any reason and people that like to have an alternative on one day of the week.
Currently there are 47 (53%) people that say they never or almost never play on 762 or public FH2 in general, but are interested in a FH2 gamenight. Some diversity is good for FH2, might bring more players into public play in general and enable people to choose between two servers, which means choosing between two different maps if this becomes succesful.

So I hope you guys don't deride the idea. This is no half-assed attempt, we really want it to happen! So, when you have any opinion to share, any suggestions to make this work, then share your thoughts here, keep the topic alive, tell others about it and most importantly fill in the survey!

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
« Reply #16 on: 26-06-2013, 04:06:22 »
The preliminary results are in. A lot of people understandably want to play on weekends, and we already tried to populate VBIOS server this past Saturday and Sunday with moderate success, given short notice. Although success nonetheless. However, Wednesday also looks like a winner, and it is actually leading thus far.

Wednesday would work great for [F|H] 130-player server (since the trainings for FH2 campaigns are Thursday, and the battle is Friday), but so far we did not get official confirmation ([F|H] bureaucracy still grinding its wheels, nor is the server ready), so the announcement would be made later, with great fanfare and universal rejoicing.

However, we are welcome everyone on VBIOS server Wednesday, June 26th (we hope we’ve worked out some of the technical difficulties, and it would be a good test) at around 16:00 UTC (18:00 German time, 19:00 Moscow time if my calculations are correct). Also, join us in Teamspeak 3 (ts.forgottenhonor.com, Public Gaming > Battlefield > Forgotten Hope 2 channel), and, VBIOS should be 762 Mumble-enabled.
« Last Edit: 26-06-2013, 04:06:55 by theUg »

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
« Reply #17 on: 26-06-2013, 08:06:53 »
You can use the server theUg. Starting tonight.
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26-06-2013, 14:06:07 »
I wish you good luck with this and I hope that it will work out for the community. To get things started you should make something like a check list and make sure that things work. That's how I would do it:

1st: Make sure you gather a staff of admins (like 10 people for the start) and make sure to give them appropriate rights, such as kicking, warning, banning, global warning, if neccessary mapswitching (be careful with this ;D) as I guess that you lack the nessecary tools that we have on 762 atm.

2nd: This leads directly to the next point: set up some rules. I know *some* people might say you don't need any rules to play FH2, but you should make sure to have a basic set of them. Just take a look at other server hosters how they handle this stuff. There is a lot of stuff you can do, but don't make it too complicated for a start.

3rd: Tbh, if you have a russian server go for a non eurpean time frame only or atleast blend between different time frames. You can try it, but on weekends most people are playing especialy Sunday evening. So for a start you should go somewhere between 762 primetime (wich ends like 12 PM UTC) and WaW. Maybe I am wrong with my estimation, but it is just something that you have to keep in mind.

4th: this is the hard part and I am glad we solved it - the map list. I would not go for predefined map lists as people get bored quite fast. We had this some time and there was always someone complaining that he plays always the same map at the same time. Take all maps into the rotation with all different sizes. That's how we do it and it works fine most of the time and the maps always come in random order. The only constant we have is Anctoville (objective mode) at the start of the map rotation. Choose this carefully to draw in some attention. Don't start with maps like Sidi Rezegh 64  ;D

If you want to play objective maps you should contact Neo and ask him kindly to share is work with you, so you can have them for a nice change. I would not go for british maps only or something like that. Bring in variety and peoply will love it. We use a auto map resizer wich chooses between the different map layers according to the playercount with a threshold. But this only works when you have the objective mode working. You should try to get in contact with a python coder, because that's something you desperatly need, if you want to keep the dice rolling.

Bottomline: I hope this helps you as a first orientation. Be careful with some of these aspects as even on funny gamenights things can go wrong. Good luck for you  ;)

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26-06-2013, 14:06:15 »
Thank you very much for the input 5hitm4k3r, really appreciated!

We will try to set these things up. Atm it's especially Ug planning. I try to support him as good as I can and a good bunch of other [F|H] (www.forgottenhonor.com) people are also supporting this.

Probably those Forgotten Honor members that are trustworthy and will play the Gamenights a lot will be admins, but as Ug said, we currently still lack some info from the admin staff, as this is not officially organized by the [F|H]- FH2 admin staff. The idea comes from the playerbase.

For the start, it will be difficult to set everything up perfectly of course. I expect it more to be like a test run for the first 2-3 weeks, so all the things you mentioned with the maplist, specific rules etc. might take some time.

What's for sure is that there are dedicated people behind this project that want it to happen and are willing to invest some time into it. So once we really got this going, everything to make the Gamenight interesting and enjoyable for the players will be done.

Again. Fill in the survey and feel free to leave your opinions, ideas and suggestions!

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26-06-2013, 20:06:01 »
Well, setting up the F|H server tonight didn't work out that short dated and there are still some things to take care of. Feel free to stop by VBIOS, we are there with a bunch of people right now. But there will be a big announcement for next week soon. So stay tuned!

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26-06-2013, 22:06:47 »
I tried joining VBIOS, but I kept getting kicked because of a "communication failure: PnkbstrA.exe"  :(

I tried 762 which I could join, but after a short while it turned into a lagfest, so I quit (just now). I think I played some 20 minutes on there.
« Last Edit: 26-06-2013, 22:06:47 by Slayer »

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27-06-2013, 06:06:22 »
 Surfbird, can FH2 maps be server side modded?

Just curious.

Ill join events when i am available.

;)

Offline aserafimov

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27-06-2013, 07:06:43 »
Hi,

I joined yesterday and it was good fight  :)
Usually I played on 762, but if you set regular events I will joint.
« Last Edit: 27-06-2013, 07:06:28 by aserafimov »

Offline theUg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27-06-2013, 07:06:53 »
I think we did okay this past weekend and this Wednesday. We’ve seen some people that we haven’t before, including some tournament guys who did not pub as much, at least not with official stats. Still a little underwhelming, but as long as our core group would continue to commit to these nights, people would begin to know that there are always couple nights a week, when they are guaranteed to find some players, and it is ultimately a goal.

It was great to see some 762 people there too, even Odium joined for a minute, allegedly by mistake. ;)

I joined yesterday and it was good fight  :)
Yea, you proved a good opponent. :) By the way, do you know other FH2 Bulgarians like RedOne or Gr1zu? We played with them in the tournament.

I tried joining VBIOS, but I kept getting kicked because of a "communication failure: PnkbstrA.exe"  :(
Yea, we saw you trying and failing, as well as couple other guys. All I can say, try to update/reinstall PB services. I don’t know if server can affect it in anyway, but most of us were playing fine. Check this topic for more: http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=17311.msg254308#msg254308

Show some hospitality

Offline aserafimov

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27-06-2013, 08:06:41 »
Unfortunately I don't know them... I am new in the online play, joined to 762 on 17 of May until then I played only on single player regime. Which tournament is it?

Offline theUg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27-06-2013, 08:06:36 »
I am new in the online play…
Always nice to see new players. We welcome you, and hope you stick around.

Which tournament is it?
Forgotten Honor (F|H). We even had them play in our Russian-language regiment. RedOne actually speaks and writes Russian even.

Show some hospitality

Offline aserafimov

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27-06-2013, 08:06:43 »
Thank you! Actually online play is more fun then SP, so I will continue to play when I have a free time.
I know Forgotten Honor, since they contacted with me for permission to use one of my FH2 custom maps.
Спасибо для информацию. Я изучал русский язык в школе.. ;D

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27-06-2013, 14:06:19 »
I had no problems joining the server and played a bit of Cobra and El Alamein. Was good gaming (despite Petruska raping my butt with the MC 202 all the time  ;D) but showed one of the things you need to change asap - get some smaller maps (16 and 32 player layers) in the rotation to fill in the server. El Alamein is one of my favortie NA maps but it gets boring quite fast with 8 vs.8 players. There are some very nice 16 player versions for the maps out there and you can give the players a chance to see something that they don't play/see all days. There is a reason why some devs created those layers, so don't miss this opportunity.

Next advise: you should write the server rules in the loading screen and don't just show a link, so that people know what they are up to, or atleast give a hint to use the !rules syntax. This will safe you a lot of discussions and trouble  ;)

Other than that - server is running fine and now you "just" need to populate it  ;)

@Slayer: there seems to be a problem with your PB. I think we have no PB running on server #4, so that's the reason you could join there but not on the other servers. You just should update it manualy as mentioned above in the comments.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27-06-2013, 15:06:45 »
Yea, we saw you trying and failing, as well as couple other guys. All I can say, try to update/reinstall PB services. I don’t know if server can affect it in anyway, but most of us were playing fine. Check this topic for more: http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=17311.msg254308#msg254308
@Slayer: there seems to be a problem with your PB. I think we have no PB running on server #4, so that's the reason you could join there but not on the other servers. You just should update it manualy as mentioned above in the comments.
Thanks for the advice, guys. I had already tried updating it manually in different ways yesterday (hence my several attempts at joining), but it seems that it is simply the "Run as admin" solution. I tried just now and I could join VBIOS. So I guess it's working now, I mean, afaik it doesn't matter whether there are other players on the server or not.