Author Topic: Insurgency  (Read 437 times)

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
Insurgency
« on: 29-04-2013, 02:04:39 »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/222880/

So, apparently, the source mod is getting an upgrade. Graphics look like CS GO's, but it looks pretty interesting. Curious to see how this will turn out. And only 15 dollars... Thoughts?

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: Insurgency
« Reply #1 on: 29-04-2013, 11:04:45 »
I liked the original mod back in the day, remember they announced a Kosovo theater before the development kinda ceased, shame it's never gotten it (I believe Brits were supposed to be added in).

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
Re: Insurgency
« Reply #2 on: 03-05-2013, 12:05:33 »
I used to play the original mod back when it was released and quite liked it. The game-/gunplay was quite good and I liked the maps, so after watching some videos on YT I decided to buy the standalone game. It´s currently downloading and since I´ve got to procrastinate some stuff I´ll write down my first impressions later after I´ve tested it.

Alright, played the game for 90 minutes and here are my first impressions:
Overall the game quite feels like the original mod: The main focus is infantry combat on short to medium ranges. Movement, depending on your class, can be quite slow, guns are lethal and exposing the wrong part of your body at the wrong time can mean a quick death.
There are currently three "classes": Light, medium, heavy. They differ in various stats, like health or movement speed. I´ve only played the heavy class,y et, so i can´t comment on the differences.
The weapon loadout system is rather unique. You can freely choose your weapon of choice, regardless of class. Depending on how many capture points your team holds or has captured, you generate "supply points". You can then spend these points on upgrading your guns with different types of ammo and various accesories, like different sights, front grip, silencer etc.
All this feels a bit...awkward, since you don´t get that "army" feeling, atleast not on the US side. Everyone´s running around with different upgrades. Some weapon choices are odd, too. For example the Insurgents have access to a MP40, which feels really out of place.
The maps I´ve played so far offered a bit of variety, too. One map played inside a shopping mall and offered firefights on very short ranges. The other two maps I´ve played on were set in a dusty Iraqi-ish desert environment and in a wintery Hindukush mountain village.
Especially the last two maps need some serious balancing, IMHO, since it feels like they favor one side.
The sounds are really good, though. Guns sound "beefy", explosions make your ears shatter and have a nice shrapnel sound, just like in real life while ambient sounds are good, too.
Gameplay itself was quite engaging. Controlls are dynamic and feel less clunky than in RO1 or Arma2. The fact that you can die pretty fast adds a big layer of immersion and keeps you on your toes.
Gun control feels right, too. Fully-auto fire is mostly ineffective with assault rifles and recoil on the weapons I´ve used feels "right".

So, considering that the game is still in alpha, I´ve got to say that it definately shows alot of promise. The devs seem to be quite open-minded and have quite a lot of new stuff planned. If they´ll keep that up and will further polish and improve the game, we might have a pretty promising indie shooter coming. NS2 showed what´s possible with a dedicated team, so hopefully INS will be able to keep up with them.
« Last Edit: 03-05-2013, 15:05:52 by hOMEr_jAy »
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.