Author Topic: How to run BF2 on laptop with the 59 Hz problem for ATI cards  (Read 502 times)

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
I am such a nerd for posting this, but after a year I finally managed to get FH2 running on my laptop.

Let me set the background for this. My Laptop screen was smashed and replaced by another screen which had a refresh timing of 59,9 Hz. Windows 7 will default this to 59Hz in your screen resolution setting. I could not choose 60Hz in the Windows Screen resolution settings.

Normally no problem, but a few games, like BF2 are hard coded to only accept resolution like 60 hz, 75 Hz etc. You will get a nice black screen and return to desktop if you try to start it. I always played with an external monitor.

You can of course try to fiddle around with the video.com files, but that won't work.

Why I did to fix it is to use a nifty tool called PowerStrip (http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm)

*  Go to Option - monitor information.
*  Then in the option dropdown you go to Write custom monitor driver
*  Choose the proper setting for getting windows to show 60 Hz in the display setting and save it.
*  In control panel, change the drivers for you monitor to the new driver you just created.
*  It will switch from Generic PnP Display (In my case) to name of your Model ID.
*  Restart PC
*  Go to screen resolution and change it to 60 Hz
*  Play BF2.

Useful tip for people with laptop and built-in screen with timings lower then 60hz.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)