Author Topic: My First Real Attempt at Modeling (Go Easy)  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
My First Real Attempt at Modeling (Go Easy)
« on: 25-12-2012, 03:12:29 »
So I've had 3DsMax for a while and never really modeled anything with it/ even knew how to use it ;D but I always wanted to try. So I took a look at a bunch of beginner tutorials (even made Toddel's house tutorial) and decided to see if I could even make something resembling an object that I could then UV and texture later. (Maybe if I learn to model well eventually and tweak this it could even be added in :P, who knows)

I made this regardless of any poly count vert count etc... I just wanted to make something that looks like the picture.

So very basically I started with simple shapes (boxes, planes, cylinders, tubes) and kinda mashed them together to make the shapes. This is probably not the most efficient way of modeling, and it's def. not the most optimal way, in terms of making things that could be used as a game asset.
For one the shapes aren't all attached to one another, they're just floating in space in the spots where they should be, and secondly they have faces that dont face outward. aka faces that wouldn't be seen in a game and therefore just take up space. These are all just results of modeling with objects and putting them together like this. Instead of say planer modeling, that I've seen a few tutorials of. But that seemed like it'd be better used for more complex shapes. Whereas this is pretty much a cylinder at its most basic.

What I'm really wondering is if this is an acceptable way of beginner modeling? Is this a good way to start? To throw objects together and then later go and delete the interior faces that won't be seen? (and then further optimize it so that it fits the constraints of the game engine etc.)

That being said I started with the B4 Italian Anti Personel Mine. The reason for this; I found some good front, back, top, references of it on the internet and it looked to be pretty basically shaped. Something I could throw together with a few of the basic shapes in 3DsMax. (also, I thought it'd be cool to eventually throw this into FH2 myself to replace the S-Mine for Italy :P)

And here's the main reference photo I've been using http://www.germanmilitaria.com/OtherNations/photos/C14555.html

I'm in no way saying that this is close to finished, in fact far from it. This is still very WIP and I'm just looking for feedback from the community or maybe even some devs as to how to move forward from here. Ik alot of you guys can model and know some good tips, tricks etc. Like I said this is my very first real model that I'm just starting out with ;D

UPDATE

Well since my internet is playing up and I can't play FH2 right now :p I finally got around to making some managable UVs and skinned it.

Just throwing another WIP on here for now, I'll get some proper renders after I play with the spec and normals a bit.

So I've pretty much got the spec and normals done and here's how it looks. :D

Spec and Normals are alot more noticable in a real time renderer, but in all I believe it came out pretty well. :)

It's INGAME! After hours of tutorials it's finally ingame. Aside from some scaling issues and using the smine animations it's ingame and working properly.

« Last Edit: 17-03-2013, 16:03:22 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: My First Real Attempt at Modeling (Go Easy)
« Reply #1 on: 25-12-2012, 04:12:05 »
Looks pretty good for first time modelling. In my engineering classes we had guys that had trouble even making a simple square on Autodesk inventor 2011, you have more talent than they do

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-12-2012, 21:12:54 »
Congratulations, mate! The mine looks very good already, I can't wait to see it textured!

Offline Gurdy

• Developer
  • no fun allowed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-02-2013, 19:02:25 »
Did you ever bake and texture this sucker?  :P

Offline Easy Eight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-02-2013, 23:02:10 »
I'm just a noob modeller by myself but the top part doesn't look smoothed and isn't the model a bit too highpoly for FH2 (€: ah okay, you explained that my bad)? But good work for your first model, looks like an exact copy of the real thing.
« Last Edit: 18-02-2013, 23:02:41 by Easy Eight »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-02-2013, 00:02:22 »
Did you ever bake and texture this sucker?  :P

Negative. I attempted to UV it once but they came out like crap so I was going to try again after a few more tutorials. Lately tho I haven't had access to the computer with the files on it and it might be a few weeks until I can get to it again.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19-02-2013, 01:02:49 »
 Matt i believe you are being way too humble.....

You have skillz.........

;)

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19-02-2013, 16:02:04 »
Keep it rolling, Matt.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14-03-2013, 09:03:21 »
Wow, this looks nice!

Offline Strat_84

• FH-Betatester
  • Lemming Chieftain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14-03-2013, 15:03:11 »
Nice toy.  ;D

If you mind a suggestion though, try desaturating a bit the texture of the main part. Right now it's too greenish to look natural in my opinion.  ;)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14-03-2013, 20:03:02 »
Nice toy.  ;D

If you mind a suggestion though, try desaturating a bit the texture of the main part. Right now it's too greenish to look natural in my opinion.  ;)

Ah yea, that's a combination of the lighting and saturation. I desaturated it a bit, put a spec map and a pretty basic normal map on it just now.

Sorry for the OP being a mess with pics, I'll clear that up when I get home.

Offline titsmcgee852

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14-03-2013, 22:03:03 »
Nice signature, Gurdy :D

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15-03-2013, 02:03:55 »
Bump, cleaned the OP of all the rambling and useless pics.

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15-03-2013, 08:03:43 »
I don´t like the green color would use a different kind of green, but the rest is good. :D

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15-03-2013, 10:03:07 »
The pin on top is also green, I'd suggest you to make that light grey or somethig like that.