Author Topic: ENEMY UNIT SPOTTED!!!!1!1! FEINDLICHE EINHEIT GESICHTET!!!!111!11!1  (Read 1113 times)

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
OH. MY. GOD. Someone pass me a bottle of painkillers. Is it possible to make the stupid "enemy spotted" voice over message only local? As in I don't hear constant "FEINDLICHE EINHEIT GESICHTET FEINDLICHE EINHEIT GESICHTET FEINDLICHE EINHEIT GESICHTET" from 20 other players who are 10 miles far from my position. It's so irritating and breaks immersion so much... not to mention the voices are really.. well, they're from a game that's 10 years old. If we at least had multiple versions of one voice command, then I guess it would be on a border of being bearable, but after a round on El Alamein on the 64+ server my ears and brains are bleeding. Especially if devs are really going to support more than 64 players now, this seriously needs to be dealt with. I noticed there are various commands in the commorose files like "TCLocalTeam", "TCTeamAndLocalEnemies" etc. I also found a list of bf2 commands:

TCGlobal
TCPlayer
TCServerTeamMessage
TCServerMessage
TCVehicle
TCLocalTeam
TCLocalAirVehicle
TCLocalGroundVehicle
TCAutoLocalRevive
TCLocalRevive
TCLocalTeamMedic
TCLocal
TCSquadAndLocalEnemies
TCSquadLeader
TCSquadId
TCSquad
TCCommander
TCTeamAndLocalEnemies
TCTeam

- to my understanding it should be possible to change the voice commands so while using TCVehicle for instance, the command would only be transmitted to people in other vehicles? Realisically, all of the commands should be set to TCLocal if it does what I think it does (everything is heard only when you're near the player who used the commorose, be it a friendly or an enemy) with the exception of Scouts, who should actually have TCTeamAndLocalEnemies if using binoculars.

I tried changing this myself but seemingly to no avail.

Offline Uberplatypus

• "The machine gun is a much overrated weapon."
    • View Profile
Lol I feel your pain completely. That's one of the reasons i HATE the MEC team in vanilla BF2. F**king constant yelling in Arabic that you can't turn off OR turn down. At least in FH the voice commands aren't half as loud or annoying as that. It would be nice if you could only hear them if they were Recon or SL because the random people spotting who don't realize it doesn't even show up on the map can add to the chaos. Unfortunately I think it's just part of BF2. I've tried to change it myself many times.
Crashing full APC's since 1942.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
Those sounds can be turned off, or set to lower volume. Negative effect is that same setting affects your own gun sounds too. I have done this for BF2, but I don't think it's worth it in FH2 as the spot spam isn't that constant and I really like to hear my own shots.

Go to Battlefield2/mods/fh2/settings/sound.con

Among first lines you will see this:

rem ** Balance between 2d and 3d samples.
sound.setProperty "balance2d3d-default" 0.5
sound.setProperty "balance2d3d-eax" 0.5

0.5 is 100% volume and 1.0 is muted. Anything between can be set. My BF2 sound.con has this:

rem ** Balance between 2d and 3d samples.
sound.setProperty "balance2d3d-default" 0.88
sound.setProperty "balance2d3d-eax" 0.88

Offline psykfallet

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Spotting is only global for binocs and vehicles, wich would be those with radios. No not all vehicles had radios, but could they be separated? Probably not.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
    • View Profile
And since at least half the people are spotters and then you've got a good amount of tanks/vehicles on your team, the spam is present pretty much all the time.

Setting it to local VO for everything except binocs (and setting vehicles to transmit to other vehicles, if that is a possibility) with a team message in the chat would be much better. I don't need to hear someone spotted a tank on the other half of the map... and if he spots it in my area, then I can see it on the minimap.

Plus the regular commorose shouts like CHARGE etc. are heard all across the map while driving in a vehicle, which also sucks.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
And since at least half the people are spotters and then you've got a good amount of tanks/vehicles on your team, the spam is present pretty much all the time.

Setting it to local VO for everything except binocs (and setting vehicles to transmit to other vehicles, if that is a possibility) with a team message in the chat would be much better. I don't need to hear someone spotted a tank on the other half of the map... and if he spots it in my area, then I can see it on the minimap.
Apart from the fact that usually not "half the people are spotters", your solution is not fixing the problem at all ;)

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
    • View Profile
Yes, I exaggerated that part a bit, but there's usually more scouts than any other class on the field. And the current spam is just stupid and breaks the whole immersion I'm trying to have while playing.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
I totally agree on that. Some measures have been taken already to reduce spam, so I doubt more ir possible without hampering gameplay. The cure must not outweigh the disease, or however you say that.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
    • View Profile
Yes, but I think it is important to only receive information you actually need. You really don't have to know someone spotted a tank on the other side of the map, since you can't do anything about it anyway (I'm talking infantry now). What I need to know, is if there's a tank heading my direction, so if I hear "Enemy armor spotted" somewhere around me, I know in an instance there is a tank somewhere in the line of sight of my team buddies that are close to me and I can react suitably. Obviously it could also be the other way round, someone on the other side of the map could spot a tank just a few meters near me, but then I can hear the tank already and it will be spotted on the minimap, so I don't need to hear the spotted voice.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
I see, but as you said: that would be ideal for infantry. As a tanker however, you'd want to know the position of enemy tanks even when they're far away as you can long range kill them.

And, and this also goes for infantry, knowing an enemy tank is halfway across the map is useful too, as then you know it is not near you and you can plan your actions accordingly.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
    • View Profile
Seeing as this probably won't get changed by devs, is the global shout for vehicles hard coded or can that be changed somewhere? I changed the vehicle Bail out! comm to TCLocal (in both vehicle.con and RadioVehicle.con files), result is I can hear the driver/passenger using that command outside the vehicle, but it is still not played as a 3D sample but globally all across the map. If there's a way to change this for vehicles it would be much appreciated if someone could tell me how to do that.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
if servers used our recommendations for radio spam block, this would be way less of a problem......  ::)