Author Topic: The Great Firearms-Thread  (Read 35265 times)

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Firearms-Thread
« Reply #435 on: 18-01-2015, 22:01:00 »
Hey all. I went to a gunshow and picked up a new rifle yesterday. It's a Czech Gewehr 98 built in the BRNO arsenal, probably pre-WWI. It fires 8mm. Once I realized what I was looking at I couldn't pass it up! These pics are from immediately coming home from the show, so I haven't had a chance to clean it yet. I'll post pics of the rifle after its rejuvenation!

Full album:
http://imgur.com/a/HeNEB#0

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: 19-01-2015, 12:01:58 »
That is a great find! Congratulations on your new rifle.

Offline Hockeywarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: 20-01-2015, 08:01:58 »
That is a great find! Congratulations on your new rifle.
Thanks! I took it apart last night and it's pretty dirty. Hopefully the bore is in good shape under all the grime! I'll post pictures when it's reassembled in it's cleaner state.
« Last Edit: 20-01-2015, 08:01:24 by Hockeywarrior »

Offline Hockeywarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: 31-01-2015, 07:01:08 »
I took the Gew 98 out to the range last week and everything seems to work great. I got some decent groups for the first time out. Luckily the trigger is fantastic. Here's a gallery with some pics:

http://imgur.com/a/Hsw8r

« Last Edit: 31-01-2015, 07:01:44 by Hockeywarrior »

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: 08-03-2015, 21:03:02 »
I had a Gew98 several times in my hands but never bought it. i had my reasons then but i would still really like to have one one day.

http://youtu.be/MsJWqzbr0q4

I took out my Carcano Cavalery Carbine last week. It went okayish the shooting but sometimes i had to give it quite a push to close, but that is probably due to a clip with a bit to narrow tolerance on the groove that stops the bullet from falling out of the clip.
The bullets where tumbling though, a bit unfortunate. maybe the barrel is to short, or the privi bullets didn't have enough contact surface to the barrel to stabilize them. its possible since i heard that the privi bullets are a bit undersized. Still, i hit the black on the target every time at about 40 meters.

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: 08-03-2015, 21:03:26 »
I am jealous Hockeywarrior!  The Gewehr 98 is such a sexy rifle...definitely among the top 5 I would like to own if I started collecting.  ;D

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: 08-03-2015, 22:03:33 »
Next time, aim under your target.  The rear sight on the Gew98 is graduated to 400 yards, which was supposed to be roughly the firing line engagement distance for German infantry tactics in 1914.  So you gotta aim well under your target in order to hit center at 100 yards.

Offline Hockeywarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: 10-03-2015, 00:03:23 »
Next time, aim under your target.  The rear sight on the Gew98 is graduated to 400 yards, which was supposed to be roughly the firing line engagement distance for German infantry tactics in 1914.  So you gotta aim well under your target in order to hit center at 100 yards.
I always aim low with all of my military rifles -- they are all sighted out to a minimum of 200 meters/yards and thus all shoot high. This one wasn't any exception. So far I've found that out of all of my rifles, my Gew 88 appears to be sighted the highest.

Here's a new shooting video for you all, featuring some Mosins, Schmidt-Rubin 1896, and even an MG42!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gvz-tJ1VJQ

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: 14-03-2015, 09:03:37 »
Im curious  is original ammo for Stg44,MP40 Kar98 or Tompson,M1Garan still produced?Or is there any ammo of moder guns that could fit Stg44(I saw it is used in Sirian war)?
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: 14-03-2015, 10:03:15 »
Yes they are with exception of the stg44 amunition still very easy to find. all of them are currently still in production.

other weapons that use the 8mm kurtz are some late was k98 rifles and some pre war and early war german semi auto experimental rifles. Dont know much for postwar designs bu probably also? although nothing common.

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: 14-03-2015, 15:03:52 »
The Yugoslavians used the STG-44 straight through the 1980s, and Prvi Partisan of Serbia is still producing the 8mm kurz for the public market.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: 14-03-2015, 17:03:44 »
I wish Prvi would start making some 8x56 Steyrs and 7.35x51 Carcano. And also fix there 6.5x52 Carcano and 8x50 lebel. (first one has projectiles .003 to small, and second one needs a ring around the primer so you can use it in the lebel tubular magazine)

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: 16-03-2015, 09:03:22 »
Well, to my knowdge they do make 8x56mmR, at least I saw a box for sale at Liberty Tree Collectors. To-day I bought myself a barreled action for a Short Magazine Lee-Enfield. The action is dated 1918 and was made by the Enfield arsenal. It almost looks new and was still greased in cosmoline. The barrel is really good, too, and while it does feature import marks, there is no sign of factory thorough repair. I have traded a 440 round can of 7,62x54mmR and a little cash for it. Now I want to order the missing parts, as soon as I can afford them, that is.

By the way, does anyone want a LSA 1918 Sht. Le. Mk. III, no import marks, with the magazine cut-off still in place? It is in good condition and to my eye has not had any parts re-placed since it's manufacture, even the extractor seems original! The only exception is the trigger guard screw, which I had re-placed since it broke, however I still have the original in a zip-lock bag.

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: 21-03-2015, 06:03:46 »
I just ordered the missing parts for my SMLE project, I hope that Numrich will not take that long to ship them to me.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: 21-03-2015, 11:03:19 »
That website sells so many parts that i need but it sucks so much that its insanely expensive to order from them. If i want them to ship to Belgium i cant have an order more then 200 dollar at a time, need to pay 35 dollar export fee plus the shipping.

In other words, insanely expensive if all i need is some cleaning rods, barrel bands, springs and screws. Shipping could be double of the value of the parts.